• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM818 bed

mattgunguy

My XM818 mods & questions

Been done before, but this one is mine. So I'll share. Did a crew cab conversion a year or so ago on our deuce. Had the bed left over bed sitting around taking up space since. My ex-wife killed my goal of a small company with our XM818 for the next several years with an unforeseen custody case. Such is life sometimes.

Anyways, truck sitting around with no trailer to pull, & a bed collecting dust. Put two & two together to get a 818 cargo truck. Still plan on getting a trailer someday, so I did this without making any permanent mods. Removed the ramps, fifth wheel, deck plate, & the crap catcher behind the cab. I did drill 4 holes in the angel iron the fifth wheel mounted too bolt the bed to. The beds held down with the 4 bolts & 4 U-bolts. Had the chance to test it today. 100 mile drive to pick up 6 new tires. Thankfully the bed didn't fall off. Still need to do a few things. Relocate the mud flaps, reroute the passenger fuel tank lines, some kind of rear bumper, install some armor lights, rifle mount, desperate need of paint, a tach & fuel gauge that works, get roof on crew cab done finally. Ya know, the little things.

Attachments

Last edited:

mattgunguy

I like the 809's too. Would love to get an 813 someday. I'd like to get the motor & trany out of a 923a2 or a3 to put in this one. Try as i may, my wife just can't deal with a standard transmission

Last edited by a moderator:

mattgunguy

So a couple years back I bought one of those in cab weapons racks. The ones that come with a double that mounts on the dash & the one that's supposed to mount on the door. Long since put the double in the deuce & never used the door one. I'm wanting to use the door mount in the 818, but I've long since lost the instructions & the search function has failed me.

Can anyone point in the right direction, or have a picture?

mattgunguy

Couple of shut down solenoid questions. After reading a bunch of old threads, what actually shuts the engine down? Is it the main power switch or the ignition switch?
When we bought the truck, I smoked what I thought was the PCB. Been using the pull lever evet since. Got a new PCB over the weekend. Put it in last night, & there is absolutely no change. I tried the little screw on the solenoid itself, both all the way in & out. Didn't make a difference. The solenoid itself is maybe 2 years old. It was replaced with the injection pump March of 2015.