• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM818 of Death has died

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did chew the driver out- but I'm not going to charge him for any parts. As was said, I chose to drive it home without fully diagnosing it first.

I did the simple thing first- I replaced the thermostat. It became obvious that was not the problem, only AFTER I got off the interstate. I was on a little two lane back country road with no SAFE place to pull off. There were a couple of physically safe places but not security wise safe. I would have come back to a frame on blocks if you catch my drift.

I will go by the book, and am getting off work now to go home and see if the pump is pumping- by doing what Bubba said. I came up with that one this morning too. If it is flowing, I will remove the lower radiator hose next- I have a new one ready to go on anyway. If that is clear, I will use a hose in the top of the radiator and see if it flows out the bottom- and if it does start banging my head against the bumper. LOL.

Chief_919

Dollars to donuts it is your water pump. I have seen the plastic impellers go just like that. They crack or strip and then sometimes they catch on the shaft and spin, sometimes not, sometimes spin at half speed due to slippage, getting progressively worse.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, score one for me. Instead of testing it, I just pulled the water pump.

Here's what I found:
It looked good when it came out. then I tried to turn the impeller- it turns on the shaft. Pulled it off, all the splines are sheared off, so it just freewheels on the shaft.

Problem solved!

And there was still coolant above the level of the pump when I took it out, so I think its alright.

Attachments

nk14zp

Well, score one for me. Instead of testing it, I just pulled the water pump.

Here's what I found:
It looked good when it came out. then I tried to turn the impeller- it turns on the shaft. Pulled it off, all the splines are sheared off, so it just freewheels on the shaft.

Problem solved!

And there was still coolant above the level of the pump when I took it out, so I think its alright.
Glad thats all it was.

onegmjack

I guess without plactic,the machanic would be out of a job.Hope that will fix the problem.Do the Deuce use plactic impeler on the water pump?

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I certainly hope that is all that was wrong with it, and that you didn't do any further damage by driving it. We need to have the 818 of death at the Haspin Rally.

Someone needs to get stuck at 2:00 in the a.m. after a torrential down pour. :beer:

jasonjc

The plastic impeller has a metal hub that goes on the shaft. You can see it still on the shaft. I think the replacement one I got had a cast impeller (if I remember right). It was a new star from Erik's cheapist I found.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deuce impeller is NOT plastic. We swapped out Kip's Wednesday night because the pulley was wobbly. Pulled one out of my scrap engine to put in it's place. From the rust on it, it can't be plastic.

bigugh20

Adam, glad you got your tractor home safetly. Aside from head warpage, what would be the major concerns associated with extreme overheating? I'm guessing bearing damage?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks