• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Xm818a2ww repower

grunex125

I have modded this truck a bit already so the latest phase is a bit drastic. t-case delete, front axle will be gutted and will only serve as a steer axle now.

nothing has been destroyed so if I or someone else gets the thought to put it back it can be done.

the front mount is totaly different than the 250.

Dave:
I've been following this thread and working on an install of a BC 350 into my 817, It's a little early yet to tell if it is all going to work or not so I'm not making any promises. But one thing I have found is that it is totally easier to remove the front cross member and build a complete new cross member for the front mount to sit on instead of chopping and butchering. ( Or maybe some members here will think I've chopped and butchered already) Bottom line is unless you remove that cross member and install a flat channel (with apropriate gussets of course) one will not have enough room to run your radiator hoses out past the harmonic balancer. Other things I've found that I've had to do is switch the oil pans from my 250 to the 350 to get enough room for the suction line to sit without interfering with the front drive line. (I'm leaving mine 6by6). For the fan I've taken the original spindle and hub from the 250 and cut and machined a block of 1.5" solid steel to fit right over the timing cover between the balancer and the water pump pulley thus lowering the fan to the appropriate height to fit the radiator.
Since on the 350 the alternator was a 12v I opted to use the original alternator but instead of leaving it on the bottom left side (looking at the front of the engine) I made a bracket that will mount the alternator up top in the old location of the AC drive. I also checked to see if the output would be sufficient running at a lower rpm and it was ok there so now the alternator will be running off the cam shaft/fan pully. The reason this was done was because the bracket that was used to mount the fan would have interfered with the belts trying to drive the alternator. Anyway, I'll post some pics here soon to let you all see how it is progressing. Again I make no promises as to the start up and running yet so I'll have to keep my fingers crossed there.