• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yaesu FRG-7 Used Mobile?

NMC_EXP

Does anyone have experience with a vehicle mounted Yaesu FRG-7 receiver?

Specifically, if placed on a GI radio shock mount is this radio durable enough for mobile use?

A HAM license is on my to-do list. Until then a receiver will do.

Thanks

Jim

Irv

The Yaesu FRG-7 has an analog VFO, as I recall. Hence, it will jiggle and wander in freq unless there is a dial lock, which I doubt. Might sound funny on rough roads too, if you're listening to ssb and the VFO coils are jiggling around. It also lacks an effective noise blanker. It might have a noise limiter, but they aren't worth much. Ignition and/or alternator whine might be an issue, too. Is your vehicle a diesel? If so, forget what I said about ignition noise. :-D Irv

NMC_EXP

The Yaesu FRG-7 has an analog VFO, as I recall. Hence, it will jiggle and wander in freq unless there is a dial lock, which I doubt. Might sound funny on rough roads too, if you're listening to ssb and the VFO coils are jiggling around. It also lacks an effective noise blanker. It might have a noise limiter, but they aren't worth much. Ignition and/or alternator whine might be an issue, too. Is your vehicle a diesel? If so, forget what I said about ignition noise. :-D Irv
Irv

Thanks for the input.

The unit does not have a mechanical lock on the tuner so I'm sure you're right - it would drift while the vehicle was moving.

I have the receiver. I have an M1009. The M1009 has this large, empty radio shelf and an empty antenna bracket.....

I wonder how effective the military anti-vibration radio mounts are. The M1009 CUCV rides well but I'd hate to shake this unit apart.

Regards

Jim

NMC_EXP

I s that russian unit?
Sounds Russkie but its Japanese.

From Wikipedia:

FRG-7 is the designation given to a HF communications receiver designed and built by Yaesu of Japan in the late 1970s.

Popularly known as the 'Frog Seven', it was one of the first commercial SWL receivers to utilise a triple-conversion superhet circuit with the 'Wadley Loop' system - although such an architecture had been seen in earlier tube radios manufactured for government use, most notably in the Racal RA-17L.

Owing to its 'Wadley Loop' circuitry, the FRG-7 has outstanding frequency stability and proved vastly superior to most other comparable radios of that time.

It has a frequency coverage of 500 kHz to 29.99 MHz. It is analogue tuned and it may be powered by D batteries or from mains electricity.

The earlier FRG-7 that appeared in Europe were marketed under the Sommerkamp brand.

The Yaesu FRG-7 receiver has a large following of enthusiastic owners with many sets still in daily use worldwide.

Regards

Jim

Attachments

n1bnc

If you are intent on using the radio in the truck it might be a good idea to wrap it in a foam blanket and then strap the unit down on the mount. A preselector/preamp will help when it comes to shortwave listening on the external whip.

Hurry up and get a license and then look for one of those DC to daylight radios such as the icom 706mk 2, IC 7000, or a yaesu ft857, which I have and have used in a base environment for a while. They cover most of the bands and get you on with reasonable power. They also have the benefit of shortwave coverage between the ham bands...

Wile E. Coyote

I liked mine when I had one but wouldn't think of hard-mounting it in my M1009 even if I'd wrapped it in a few feet of cotton wool much less a mil-style shock mount. The original designers pictured you spending your money on a nice receiver with nice styling that would easily withstand the rigors of sitting on a desk for 20 years but that was about it, IMO. My RT-524 moves around like it's strapped to a paint-shaker when I'm out on logging roads (or worse), and picturing anything I've seen made by Yaesu in that environment...oi. :roll:

NMC_EXP

I liked mine when I had one but wouldn't think of hard-mounting it in my M1009 even if I'd wrapped it in a few feet of cotton wool much less a mil-style shock mount. The original designers pictured you spending your money on a nice receiver with nice styling that would easily withstand the rigors of sitting on a desk for 20 years but that was about it, IMO. My RT-524 moves around like it's strapped to a paint-shaker when I'm out on logging roads (or worse), and picturing anything I've seen made by Yaesu in that environment...oi. :roll:
The FRG-7 is set up for 12V so I hoped it was built to handle some vibes.

Probably a bad idea...sigh.

I'll get a license and purpose built mobile unit someday.

Thanks

Jim

Wile E. Coyote

The FRG-7 is set up for 12V so I hoped it was built to handle some vibes.

Jim
Yes, it has the 12V jack, but you can also picture the Yaesu glossy brochure from 1977 showing a guy on top of a mountain staring out at the sunset with the Yaesu sitting on the hood of his brand-new Dodge Ramcharger hooked up to the cigarette lighter. ;-) A lot of Radio Shack stuff had 12V plugins too, and I was afraid to even toss that stuff in my ruck.

NMC_EXP

Yes, it has the 12V jack, but you can also picture the Yaesu glossy brochure from 1977 showing a guy on top of a mountain staring out at the sunset with the Yaesu sitting on the hood of his brand-new Dodge Ramcharger hooked up to the cigarette lighter. ;-) A lot of Radio Shack stuff had 12V plugins too, and I was afraid to even toss that stuff in my ruck.
<bleep> marketing weasels.