• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yanmar Compatible Fuel

s205designs

Hi All,

Another quick question regarding the MEP-016D, obviously the engine will run on diesel #2, has anyone ran it on other variants of fuel such as JP-8, Jet-A, Kerosene etc? Is it possible? I was looking at the yanmar tech manual and I didn't see a section listing which fuels are acceptable. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Ken_86gt

The military would run PJ8, as that is all we had over seas.

You could run Kero but would not be as good for the injector pump. I use left over kero in diesel engines when I have left over from my kero space heater at the end of the heating season.

ETN550

Personally I would stick to #2Diesel or home heating oil, as a base and only blend in petroleum products such as oil or tranny fluid, or kerosene at less than 30%. I would use a lubricity adative for anything lighter than #2 diesel.

Last edited:

derf

The Yanmar Ls and their Chinese clones will run on vegetable oil straight out of the box.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
JP-8 is basically Kero 2cents

If you want to burn it, get it as close to the flashpoint and viscosity of diesel.

What are you looking to burn? or are you just toying with the idea of using differents stuff should the need arise?

s205designs

At this point i'm just toying with the ideas of different fuels, in particular interest is jet A. Do you think I would have to add some oil to the fuel to increase jet A's lubricity, or will the yanmar not care?

Thanks
Jonathan

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Diesel fuel, HHO Home Heating Oil, any combo mixed with ATF. The atf keeps the system and injectors clean.2cents

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jet A is the same as JP-8 without some additives.

All fuel has additives.

I would blend a little WMO in with the jet A if I were you. Do you know what type of oil you would use? 10w-30, etc? I can run some tests for you and get you a 5 gallon jerry can mix ratio for Jet A and whatever oil you are planning to use.

s205designs

Ferroequinologist , I'm not sure what type of oil I would run, honestly I was hoping jet-A would work without any additions. What sort of testing would you be performing? I'm curious to know the critical factors are that need to be determined when finding an oil to mix into a fuel for the generator. Also what are your methods for testing if you also don't mind me asking.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a Kennedy meter (measures and compares viscosity) a flash point tester, and a device for determining water and solid content in fuel.

When I blend, I get to within 6% of pump diesel specs, and haven't seen an engine yet not handle it just fine.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can make a cheap viscosity tester by getting a ladle (one with a cup on the end for dipping in big pots) and drilling a hole in it. Time how long it takes for diesel to run out then and use that as your reference point. You can calculate viscosity changes for different mixes by comparing the time differences.

s205designs

And this is why I really enjoy these forums, thank you so much its such a great learning tool. Are there other ways to test for flashpoint also?

The thought occurs that there should be someway to calculate viscosity based upon known viscosities for two chemicals, would a ratio be close enough? I figure you could get viscosity from a chemical's MSDS.

Thanks
Jonathan

Last edited:

stridar

Hello all,
First off i was told a long time ago kerosine is basically diesel 1...just thinking its very clear so prob a cleaner version than diesel 2... not sure about lubrication or detergents... second i run biodiesel that i make in mine... this is biodiesel NOT cooking oil that has been strained or WVO... i have put the cooking oil through and estrification process to seperate out the glycerin... lol hope i spelled all that right lol...runs fine on straight bio but for colder climates i suggest 50/50... bio diesel freezes and clouds faster than regular diesel....i dont suggest running straight WMO or WVO in anything...not saying it cant be done...but may put added wear and strain on the motor... WMO=waste motor oil WVO=waste vegtable oil... my buddy and i have been running the bio we make in a 2001 VW for 3 years now with no troubles i be willing to bet it wont bother these things ever...

storeman

Diesel fuel, HHO Home Heating Oil, any combo mixed with ATF. The atf keeps the system and injectors clean.2cents
Don,
Haven't seen you post around here in ages. Tried to send you a PM but box is full. Hope all is well. Clean out your message box.
Jerry :beer::beer:

May 2010LocationMichiganPosts3,676Feedback Score28 (100%)
[h=2]
[/h]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks