• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yanmar L48AE Injector seal MEP 531/831

Sidis8

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey everyone,

on the yanmar engines used in the 531/831, is there supposed to be a injector seal, kind of like a copper washer or something along those lines ?

I took an injector out today and there was no seal in it but the parts breakdown had two types listed. Parts 17 and 18 in the diagram

Do we need one for these injectors ?

Attachments

Sidis8

Steel Soldiers Supporter
By chance is the seal still in the hole? I don't remember off hand but pretty sure there is supposed to be a seal in there.
I don't think it is a flat copper washer like the 802/803 either.
I looked in there, looks like it’s just the seat for the injector. Unless that is supposed to be the seal.

Attachments

Sidis8

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Needs to be replaced. If its in the -24P, then you need it. This is a problem we saw often. The copper seal get crushed and is sometimes hard to get out.
Does it matter which one I get ? They have two listed, spring seat A and spring seat B.

Guyfang

Staff member
What is the machine you have? What gen set is it? The reason there are two seals listed is probably there are two different models, with two different injectors.

Guyfang

Staff member
The plot thickens.

I took an injector out today and there was no seal in it but the parts breakdown had two types listed. Parts 17 and 18 in the diagram
No, this is not a parts breakdown. The parts break down in toward the back of the TM.

This is the parts break down. And it shows no copper seals.
1694200621899.png

Thinking that the TM is wrong, I went to the YANMAR books.

Its figure #7. Sadly I am not able to copy the page, for some reason. But have attached the document. In short, it too shows NO copper seals.

So, is there a copper seal in your set? If so, can you get it out? Ray posted a page out of the maintenance manual. The maintenance manual should reflect the parts manual. It doesn't here, so lets try and ask someone who I THINK has more time on this model. @CallMeColt

Attachments

2Pbfeet

In the Yanmar parts manual that I have, there is a copper washer, and it is called out as a nozzle spacer. In the manual that @Guyfang posted, it is part number 114295-11470 , in figure 2, part 16. I believe that it comes in a range of thicknesses from 0.3mm to 1.5mm, and the factory recommends replacing them whenever you pull the injector. What I don't know is what thickness is needed.

All the best,

2Pbfeet.

Guyfang

Staff member
AH HA! Thats why I could not find it. The spacer and gasket are considered parts of the head, and not parts of the injector.

Strangely enough, the gasket has an NSN: 5330-01-326-8021. The spacer also, NSN: 5365-01-322-8692

Guyfang

Staff member
Then I went back to the Army TM, and sure enough its there too, in the figure for the head. I would say, that if you try and use the part number 114350-11470, you will get the part you need. When typed into the browser, it comes up all over. And I think, after reading about 10 different places, that part # gets you the right thickness.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Sorry I'm late to the party here.

Been a while since I pulled an injector on one of these little buggers.

I looked in there, looks like it’s just the seat for the injector. Unless that is supposed to be the seal.
It is still in there, yes. It is kind of a silverish thing with a seal at the bottom.

The copper washer... I think they don't have to be in there. They are only needed if required to get proper timing. So if one is not in there when you pull it, don't put one back in. If there is, I would just re-use it.

Same with the seal that is stuck in there. Try re-using it.

In my experience, these little Yanmar units are hardy. There is a lot of stuff like seals & things that the manual says should be replaced each time they are removed.... basically, if you put it back on and it leaks, then replace it. You will know right away if there is an issue. It's directly where combustion happens so it will hold or not.

It's the reason why a lot of these little consumable one time use parts are nowhere to be found... no one buys them because they just re-use them.

Your results may vary!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks