• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yanmar L70 Diesel Kit for MEP-016

tmuenster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased a few of the Yanmar L70 Diesel engine refit kits for the gasoline powered version of the MEP-016 generators. The kits come with all the parts to convert the generators to run on the Yanmar L70 engine.

The engines have electric start and are set up for a 24v system. Does anyone know if it is possible to convert these to a 12v system? I would like to use them to power a small boat and I prefer to use 12v if possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Attachments

Last edited:

Isaac-1

I have a MEP-016D and as I recall the entire 24V electrical system consists of the starter, which will generally have enough excess power to crank on a well charged 12V battery. There is no onboard alternator or magneto that charges the cranking battery, unlike the MEP-016B, etc.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one of the small 2kw generators with a Yanmar engine. The starter was bad when I picked it up so I replaced it with a 12 volt starter.

There is no battery charging circuit and no on board battery. There is a slave connector for starter power. I took a pair of jumper cables and put a slave connector on one end so I can start the engine with whatever power source that is available.