• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

year of manufacture m816

reb87

American General Corp
M816 W/W
Registration NL07QF
Serial C34010186

Im trying to get my title from Gl and need the year on my m816 Ive tried the carnac thread but he hasnt responded yet. I want to get the request out asap so I can get it titled. Thanks, Ross

M818tanker

Ross,
I also have an M816 and it's supposed to be a 1987, but I need to make it older and in doing so looking for something I can bring to the DMV to show them it's older. Doug 719-331-9335

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can try looking at data tags on things like axles, transfer case, transmission, etc. If you see a lot of tags dates with a specific year, it is likely that the truck won't be any older. In most states, it is fairly easy to get the year changes on titles if more information becomes available. I've done this twice myself for cars that had incorrect years on the titles.

M818tanker

Thank you for fast reply. I only have the tag in the cab that matches the number stamped on the frame (and no one in 4 5 tins VIN checks have ever matched the frame VIN) and the Bill Of Sale when I bought it 5 years ago said 1987 so I registered at that year not thinking. I want to re title the vehicle as a 1975 or OLDER cause it can be a Collector Truck and registered every 3 to 5 years and no smog tests. I'd only drive about 50 miles per year on this truck for "fun" and registering it annually and getting a smog test 30 miles away also annually is nasty. I need someway to show the DMV it's older----1974.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is your registration number, should start with "NL" and be on the data plate or stenciled on the inside of the doors. 1987 date of delivery is wrong anyway, by then AM General was deep into manufacturing the 816's replacement, the 936 wrecker. MW Mules is correct, use the contract year which is embedded in the contract number on the main data plate to attempt to prove your 1970's or late 1960's date of mfg.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, 1969 is when the order was placed and the first wreckers came of the line. Yours was one of them hint hint.

wcuhillbilly

1987 sounded fishy to me, likely that was an overhaul, as by the early 80s the 816 had been replaced with the 936s. as In they weren't buying 816s only servicing them. mine is a 1970 formerly of Marble Co, and came from Salt lake. I registered it with the state and the insurance (progress!^e ) as a "1970 Kaiser model XM816" and the only snafu that ive had was that their isn't a listing in their catagories for an "XM816" thus the insurance and the tag office have to add a "remark or Note" that its a "special bed/truck configuration" I just tell them its a "light crane truck" but I do carry commercial "wrecker" insurance with 100K on hook due to using it commercially.

M818tanker

I'm getting closer. Next question, is there any place that I can find the actual years the M816 was produced? Something I can take to the DMV to show them with credibility. I've got an original site I've printed out showing the M900's series were produced starting 1982 which should VOID my 1987 date. Next, I can show them the dash plate picture with the "-69-", but it would be nice to bring another factual sheet.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm getting closer. Next question, is there any place that I can find the actual years the M816 was produced? Something I can take to the DMV to show them with credibility. I've got an original site I've printed out showing the M900's series were produced starting 1982 which should VOID my 1987 date. Next, I can show them the dash plate picture with the "-69-", but it would be nice to bring another factual sheet.
Not exact years but some information for you .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M816_Wrecker

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
See if you can find an original copy of TM9-2320-260-10 dated Jan 1972, that is the operator's manual and can help show when the trucks were produced.

M818tanker

Been gathering mote info. on my XM816 for the year it was actually made. Looking for something that the Colorado DMV will consider credible. Visited a Federal sight who told me the -69- was when the contract was made. Called previous state it was registered in (Utah) and they said the owner brought it in in 1997 and said to was a 1987, so be it. The "ORD. SERVICE NO. 8736857" perhaps that number gave the previous owner the idea it was made in 1987 which is when the 900 Series were being manufactured. Any idea on what the "OR. SERVICE NO." means? Hoping it was made in 8/73 per the first 3 numbers?