• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yep, another FNG post.

AcerSpacer

Hey y'all. Recently been very interested in picking up a deuce. I'm a current Army dude, 24, been in 6 years as a Kiowa Warrior/Apache mechanic. Currently stationed in Korea, coming back to be stationed in Ft. Campbell, KY. I found this place, and picked up so much fascinating information, I just had to stay. I look forward to learning a lot, and hopefully picking up a Deuce when I get back to Campbell. There're a couple for sale around the area, and I'm kinda excited. Glad to be on a forum with so much knowledge and experience! Hopefully I join the ranks of MV owners soon.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Welcome. Check with m16ty, he is close and honest. Not sure if he has any spares, but a good guy anyhoo.

AcerSpacer

Sweet. I'll definitely do that. I definitely want to get to know people on here, I enjoy getting to know people and helping out where I can. Barring that, just cracking open a cold one with someone and learning a lot.

AcerSpacer

Thanks! There are 3 currently for sale in the surrounding area. I think I have a pretty good shot of scoring one. It would be real funny to show up to my new unit in that behemoth, heh.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome and thank you for your service. You'll find a pretty solid MV ownership base around S. KY and Mid TN. Feel free to reach out if you have questions or need remote deuce for sale inspections before you return.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soldiers!! :) Clinto is another great resource. He's a self-proclaimed Deuce Doctor in Athens Georgia. He may know of a nice Deuce that needs a loving home.

twisted60

CDL depends on your state DMV, check for CDL Exemptions and dig into state laws you might not need one.
Ya Fuel alone runs me $100 every few days depending on how much I drive.
Welcome again. It's an addiction but this is the best place for counseling...no couch needed. :naner:

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with twisted60. His 5 ton is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! :drool: It has power steering and is an automatic.
Features that 5 ton's have that Deuces don't:
more leg room
higher ground clearance
more cargo capacity
production dates are more recent

There's probably a bunch more I can add to this list, but can't think of more right now. My advice: Research. Read threads in all of the forums. When you get stateside, join a local MV club or find Steel Soldiers members in your area. Talk trucks, ask to ride in them, ask to drive them, read the TMs. Ask LOTS of questions. Use the search function within the forum. If that won't answer your questions, go to Google and type "site:steelsoldiers.com {insert search terms here}" without the quotes, or course.
Learn as much as you can about the MV's that fit your wants/needs/desired. Look for the good, the bad, the ugly. Don't throw lots of cash at something you will later regret (I learned this lesson the hard way.... :-( )

AcerSpacer

Definitely. My thing with the M35A2 is that it has that multifuel engine. I'm around an absolute crapton of waste/excess oil (plus turbine oil and hydraulic fluid) and still good JP8. Essentially all the free fuel I can want (make friends with your motor pool guys). Plus I seem to be one of the few people in my generation who is actually capable of driving manual vehicles. I've driven everything from 1097 humvees to MRAPs. For some odd reason, the LMTV is my fave, but the CTIS is a huge pain. But yeah, I absolutely intend on making a lot of friends and being the best sponge I can be. I've been intensely reading the forums for about a week or so, and have only scratched the surface. Got a ridiculous amount of knowledge and know-how on here, it is seriously impressive. I really can't wait to learn more, I definitely want to hit up someone local to my area. I was stationed at Campbell before I was here, and know the area well, from Bowling Green, KY to Nashville TN and beyond. Heck, both are an hour and a half from Campbell anyways, gotta be some enthusiasts around. Plus got the VFW right outside gate 10. I definitely should finally go there, definitely will be obligated to once I pick a truck up. Plus the thing would be extremely useful on PCS moves! Thanks for all the help y'all. I look forward to crossin' paths with people on here.

Last edited:
Welcome from Ft. Sam Houston, TX. It is always interesting being AD and having a retired Mil Truck. Had quite a few run ins with senior enlisted at Bragg when I got my first one 12 years ago. Great fun owning these trucks though.

AcerSpacer

I can imagine them getting quite upset over you not wearing a kevlar or putting down a chock block and drip pan, and trying to get you for it, only to be told that it's your POV and can't do anything to get you. Sound about right?

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are several LMTV/FMTV owners in the area. CTIS is not that scary... You should go for one! I'm on #2. They are great trucks.