• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yes, I drove it home....

firedude

Purchased a 1942 CCKW dump truck in Idaho and made an adventure out of bringing it home. Boy did that transmission sing in all but direct. I'm guessing 5 mpg because of the hills and a top speed of 40mph with a good tail wind. Destination? Cave Junction, Oregon! Not one single breakdown either. Just ran out of gas once. :-D

My Trip 008.jpg My Trip 010.jpg My Trip 047.jpg

61sleepercab

Good trip , glad you made it home in one piece with a historical unit. Glad you didn't shake loose 60 years of tank crud to the fuel pump and carb. Uncle Sam bought gas by the millions of gallons so MPG not a deal killer for Army.
I had a Studebaker WWII 6x6 cab and chassis and she was a hoot to drive on the farm . Good luck with the toy Marl

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck. Mine was dump converted as well and also had the frame lopped off after the bogie. The Clark should not be singing.

firedude

Nice truck. Mine was dump converted as well and also had the frame lopped off after the bogie. The Clark should not be singing.
yes, the trans is toast I'm sure. The frame is cut on mine as well. I have another CCKW that was converted to a fire truck after it was surplussed. My plans are to take all the best parts I have and build one stock and another with some modifications. I have a '52 M211 I was thinking of moving the dump bed to. Nothing is set in stone yet. I've recently learned the hard way that time is as short as money is. But it's nice to have a dream. :)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I love the closed cabs.

You're a brave dude!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks