• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

YES, There IS (maybe) a Deuce Spin On Oil Filter Adapter

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well maybe someone's going to have to try one to see if it fits. What seems to be in question is the hollow cup of the deuce oil filter mount, and how the adapter would seal to that.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Bjorn is the threaded rod you are measuring the hollow hold down bolt? From the diagram it looks like the hold down bolt threads into part 11 which looks to adapt it to the casting.

Opcom I don't think a stock location oil filter adapter is going to work as you would still have no drain back valve on any of the truck filters we will need, or on any resonably cost adapter you could have a machinist one off. Remote filters appear to be the way to go.

jasonjc

as long as the filter is on top wont it still drain out??The dirty oil will just go thought the filter and into eng. In stead of the dirty oil just falling strigt back into the eng. Or am I missing some thing here?? :?

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
This is probably a long dead end and no one makes a modern low micron filter/anti-back filter. Marcus your BT124 is interesting as it has the the anti-drian back valve, but no one makes it in modern filter media. If it was an easy swap to the deuce it might be ok, but it would either need the correct filter base casting or the adapter plate that was used. I was just reviving this thread to try and get the part 11 to casting thread as it had a good pic of the part, not to revive discussion on a probable deadend.

jeli

Has anyone ever called a Hercules distributor? I called the one in Duluth MN about a D4800 12VDC starter. I bet a distributor would know about the oil filters too. If someone lived close to a distributor and could drive a deuce to their shop I bet the question could be answered real quick.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
builder77 said:
Bjorn is the threaded rod you are measuring the hollow hold down bolt? From the diagram it looks like the hold down bolt threads into part 11 which looks to adapt it to the casting....
Yes it is. From a spare canister/base set I have loose on the work bench. Comes in handy for locating pipe plugs, checking thread sizes etc. :)

houdel

The NAPA and Baldwin spin on adapters are made for a Detroit Diesel, have a 1-1/2" thread and will not fit the multifuel oil filter base without a considerable amount of machining, if they would work at all.

SOME Oliver-White tractors used the LDT465 engine with spin on filters. I suspect installing a set of Oliver-White spin on filter adapters on a Deuce multifuel would be a no brainer, except I can't locate a set of the Oliver-White adapters. The best I could do was find a tractor junkyard someplace, but he would not sell me just the adapters, he wanted to sell me the whole oil filter base assembly for $250, which is a little rich for my budget.

Anyone know a sharp Hercules or Oliver White parts distributor who can come up with just the filter adapters?

LC

If you live in farm country try looking on tractorhouse.com or other equipment sites. There may be a White 2-135 close to you to look at. I looked at one a couple of years ago and I think the oil filter casting is different than the one used on the multifuel.

jeli

I'll be at the National Farm show in Louisville Feb 15-17. Give me more specifics on the Olive and White tractor models and years. There are a lot of parts dealers I can get info from.

Crazy_Matt

houdel said:
The NAPA and Baldwin spin on adapters are made for a Detroit Diesel, have a 1-1/2" thread and will not fit the multifuel oil filter base without a considerable amount of machining, if they would work at all.

SOME Oliver-White tractors used the LDT465 engine with spin on filters. I suspect installing a set of Oliver-White spin on filter adapters on a Deuce multifuel would be a no brainer, except I can't locate a set of the Oliver-White adapters. The best I could do was find a tractor junkyard someplace, but he would not sell me just the adapters, he wanted to sell me the whole oil filter base assembly for $250, which is a little rich for my budget.

Anyone know a sharp Hercules or Oliver White parts distributor who can come up with just the filter adapters?

I know a few tractor junk yards would have stuff - even made a phone call today to the regular place I deal with .... should know something later in the week if he finds me one.

houdel

Good luck, those tractor engines and the spin on adapters are hard to find. I've emailed a bunch of tractor supply houses and even a Hercules distributor, the only response I got was from one place that wanted to sell me the whole filter housing and oil cooler assembly for $250.

I guess we need to get to the top of the Hercules parts chain to get something going. With the amount of demand out there, it would probably be profitable for them to tool up and run off a batch of them just for the MV crowd!

devilman96

Hey are not "hard" to produce... but they are costly to produce "time" wise... There are two ways to make them, ether from aluminum with a thread inset for the filter or as some of the pictures show, made from 2" hex bar threaded on each side....

I have the lathe and materials for making them but just guessing at the time involved I would have to charge somewhere around 350-$400$ per set to even begin breaking even.

Things always "seem" really simple to make... Yep its only two little parts and like I said... their not hard to make. But doing them one at a time is not at all worth the effort. If someone wants to front the bill for having a 100 sets done with CNC cool... Cut the cost in half and give'me 60% down.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I can vouch for the adapters being time consuming to make. I am working on an adapter, and I already have alot of time in it. The filter base plus the size of the steel round are the two major problems. You still have to deal with making some sort of anti-drainback valve if you consider that important. Not a cheap item to make at all. My opinion is the remotes are the resonable way to go.

houdel

builder77 said:
Does anyone know what the thread is for part number 11 in the above diagram? The thread for the adapter to the oil mount casting.
I think Ethan was asking not about the thread size of the oil cannister bolt itself (which is 1"x14 TPI), but the thread size of the adapter nut which actually screws into the oil filter housing base (part #11 in the picture).

I don't have any idea of what the thread size is, but I have two spare engines in containers sitting outside my carport. If it ever gets warm enough outside that I don't get icicles hanging from my eyelids, I may just pull a cannister off and find out.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
That part #11 does not exist on my engine. It was all one casting that was machined. I don't know if other years had it though.

One thing I have noticed is that almost all adapters and remote mounts are cast not machined.

houdel

Ethan - I still haven't given up on the OB1303 adapter. With some appropriate machining to flatten out the base, the unused gaskets from my Baldwin HD-20 filters to seal the modified OB1303 adapters to the stock oil filter base, and a customized threaded tube to secure the OB1303 adapter to the stock filter base and secure the appropriate Baldwin non drainback filters to the modified OB1303 adapters, I think we have a winner here. What can you get a pair of OB1303 adapters for??

Crazy_Matt

I didnt have any luck with the first tractor place, but theres others I can call.

I made a post on one of the tractor boards. Came up with a place that can maybe get new ones. I need a part number tho.

jatonka

Deuce spin on filter

Kenny, I have hundreds of sets of these filters out there now and there aren't any problems with changing them, maybe some members will get in and tell you how much mess it is when you change my oil filters on the jatonka adaptors. The anti drain back filters are not as bad as you think. I set a #10 can next to them, spin off and set in the can. Done deal. 2 tablespoons or so of oil escapes the can. JT out

dabtl

Kenny, I have hundreds of sets of these filters out there now and there aren't any problems with changing them, maybe some members will get in and tell you how much mess it is when you change my oil filters on the jatonka adaptors. The anti drain back filters are not as bad as you think. I set a #10 can next to them, spin off and set in the can. Done deal. 2 tablespoons or so of oil escapes the can. JT out
Your filter adapters are too easy. You need to add some kind of quirk in them to make it interesting.

I just ordered my second set. When they get here, it will take minutes to install.

Currently, the change out is much cleaner than the stock version.

I also recommend the spin on primary fuel filter adapter. I do not scream as much at my wife during the filter changes as an extra benefit.

What about some spin on secondary fuel filter adapters? That would greatly simplify finding the gaskets for the change.

Thanks for your efforts.

PS: I will be getting the lock out AVM hubs for the second deuce in January.

OD_Coyote

I have had a set of jatonka's spin oil filter adapters for over a year and they are a quality product. I really like the fact that the oil pressure comes up in 5 - 7 seconds during a cold start versus ~15 seconds with the OEM canister filter setup.2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks