• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yet another Bobbed Deuce

Trackiron

Hi all,

Here are pics of Thanksgiving weekend work on the 1968 M35. 1600 Michelin XZLs on OD Iron wheels powdercoated black(Thanks Mike - took a while but worth it). I mounted these tires by hand on these rims - not for the faint of heart but can be done with about $200 worth of tire bars. The 6" lift is built from 4"x6" .187 wall steel tube mitered to be 7 " long on the bottom and 10" on the top. Lots of bracing and bolted together with Grade 8 whereever possible. Steering linkage is custom built with 6" drop and works with standard air assist steering unit. Bed is cut down one 'section' and then the tailgate system is welded back on(Thats next weekend). Have to extend the rear driveline as usual. Used the front leaf springs for the rear again - just so much eaiser to set up. I will be uploading my hemmt converted wheel pics here soon for reference. They will be going on truck #6 with 1600 Goodyears.

Attachments

Last edited:

wehring

So... YOU are the one!

Not to rob the post but I tried to buy your M116 Husky from Reeds Marine in AK for over a year. When I finally got the cash together you had bought it. I recognized it from your avatar pic. How is the 350 working out?

If you decide to sell it please give me a shot at it.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Trackiron

Very funny indeed - It took me almost 5 years to talk Reed out of it. The 350 is just fine. I also have the correct 283 if it ever gives me any trouble. I have three others for sale in kit form - enough to make one if you are up for a project. Send me an IM with your Email.

Trackiron

Install ing the power steering kit on a lifted duece is - NOT COOL! But you need it with tires that big. Pics to follow when I get done

Trackiron

FInally getting back to finish the project - 2 years - really!!!????
Added the air assist steering to improve steering - not really powerful enough to overcome the XZL tires.

The other problem I had to solve was getting the steering ball joint and arm high enough to accomodate the 6" lift I built.

First I made a riser on my CNC lathe - I knew all along I really didn't like the idea but I tried it any way. I was not sure it would not break.

Here is a PIC - I will sell this part if anyone wants it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Trackiron

I knew I wanted the biggest - baddest stering arm out there. The high steer arms I found on the market for sale work with the passenger side - wont work with air assist steering and they also dont include the tapered hole for the cone locks which I wanted to ensure elimination of any play in the steering.

So, time to make my own. 1" A36 steel plate - ultrasonic tested(just to be sure)
this is 1/4" thicker than the origional forged arm(see pics). I milled all the tapers to match the origional arm and reused the hardware and ball stud.

My press brake can't bend 1" steel so I milled (2) radius grooves 1/2 way through the plate to allow the bend to happen exactly where I needed it. Once I heated it red hot with the torch and bent it(25 LB sledge and BIG vise) - I welded in the groove while it was still nearly red hot to ensure good weld and penetration. I felt that if the bent area was 1/2 parent metal and 1/2 my weld - It should hold up.

I will get installed pics today and add them.

Attachments

Trackiron

8" lift - bigger is better! Like to see what you come up with too.
Thinking of adding steering stabilizers to help elinate death wobble - Checking all the standard stuff first.

am not running any shocks at this point - suspension seemed so stiff it doesn't matter - any input on this?

Shocks - Y/N? Anyone?

Last edited:

Trackiron

Pics of the arm installed on my truck. Note that the air assist cylinder now has the proper horizontal position again.

I made a 4" Lift arm for user "TOXIC" waiting for feedback on the install of the arm on a show truck they are doing.

So far there is some possible bump steer issues with this arm HOWEVER I am going to add a link from the frame to the axle front and rear first(Panhard link its called?). Then I am going to add the steering stabilizers(4 of them). Lastly I will add drag links front and rear to prevent axle wrap.

Input?:p

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks