• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yet another charging system thread.

tgreening

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So my alternator quit charging. According to the manufacturer trouble shooting procedure my alternator and regulator are good. If I jump 24V to the ENG term on the regulator everything charges fine, which says regulator and alternator are functioning as advertised. My oil pressure reads good at the dash and the Oil Pressure light goes out when the pressure comes up. All seems good. The small schematic on the Niehoff troubleshooting guide shows a switch between batt power and the ENG terminal on the regulator. Is this the oil pressure switch? If not what/where is it, and if it IS how can I troubleshoot the wiring between it and the regulator without tearing the harness apart between them? I'd rather avoid that given this models rep for iffy wiring. Are there multiple wires coming off the pressure switch that would allow good signal to instrument panel/gauge, but bad signal to ENG term on regulator?

tgreening

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Problem solved, though I’m not exactly sure how this came about. Things were fine till one day on the way home she quit charging. I “think” my first investigation must have had me quick checking relays, which didn’t solve the problem. When I popped the cab I saw my alternator bolt, the big long one, had broken and left the building. Fixed that and still no charge which had me thinking maybe when the bolt let go it stressed the harness somehow and broke a wire. Niehoff trouble shooting guide had me thinking bad wiring, possibly faulty oil pressure switch although everything in the cab dash/gauge wise indicated a good pressure switch, though I’m no expert.

Anyway, during my quick check of relays I apparently swapped a 5-pin out for a 4-pin in the K11 spot. Popped in a 5-pin and I’ve got charge again. Happy Dance. Mega Happy Dance considering the cost of alternator/regulator/swap alternatives.

Ordered a pack of 5 pin relays to give it a good going through and make sure I’ve got everything that needs one covered.