• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yet another Classifieds question/suggestion

RavenTBK

Okay, I've looked at a bunch of threads of people complaining or just generally confused about how the classifieds system works. Myself, I've managed to figure out all the requirements, but I do have a bit of a suggestion, if I may make it. Feel free to subject me to a good lashing if I am out of place, as those that know me, I am an idiot.

I completely understand the idea od requiring 100 posts to have full access to the classifieds section. Administrators want to make sure that the user will stick around, and is an asset to the community before they allow said user to make money through the site. Not a huge deal. Now I'm not sure if this has already been suggested, as I havent seen it in the other threads, but I'm going to make it anyways..

Why not have an alternative to where a user could donate a said amount to the site ($5?) to be able to purchase full access to the classifieds system for a period of time...such as a period of 6 months?

Of course, admin would not have to waive any other rules, such as moderating the content or number of ads that are posted. I simply am proposing an alternative..

My reasons for making this request are purely selfish. I currently do not own an MV. I would still very much like to purchase one from a user on here. Since I do not own anything MV related, there really are no forums that I could actively participate in to gain my required 100 posts. I mean, I could post a bunch of useless babble in the conversations forum, but mainly I read. Read the tech notes from other owners, and learn. Until I get one of my own, I have no reason to post questions, or even be able to attempt to answer others. Pretty much I will end up stuck under 100 posts for many more moons.

Now I've been a lurker of the site for about a year, but decided to sign up in March 2011 simply to post a wanted ad. I've been here officially for 6 months, so its not like I signed up and left. I am willing to donate to the site, thereby putting myself into the positive "asset to the community" status. I just cant see any way to reach 100 posts within the next year without resorting to useless babble spamming over others' threads, which would move me back into the negative "liability to the community" status.

Thoughts?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off I am sure this thread will crash and burn like dozens and dozens of other threads on the classifieds.
Second even know you don't own a MV yet it does not keep you from participating in the forum . Depending on what tpye of MV you want participate in the appropiote forum and ask questions and become a knowledgable buyer and part of the group 1 or 2 posts a week and you get your privilages in now time . The rules won't change because of past abuse. And you can still search the classifieds looking for the right MV for you . But within a couple of days or less I would bet this thread will take a bad turn and get closed along with all the previous threads about the classifieds. Craigslist and e-pay are also good sources for MV's.

Welcome to the site and join in the conversations .

Last edited:

gunboy1656

You would really be surprised how fast it takes to make it to 100 with little effort.

Start with making a "Hi I am so and so. I don't own any trucks yet but interested in a ????" type thread and follow it. There are also plenty of general conversations that you can put your ideas into without spamming someones threads.

Check out the conversations page, I am sure you can find a few things to throw ideas into.

Heath_h49008

:ditto:.... The 100 post requirement also limits the number of really under-informed posts. It forces people to get a feel for the rules, and learn the basics before fouling up the "Working" part of the board.

I understand where you're coming from, but that's my opinion. It also lets the rest of the people get to know who they might be dealing with. These guys can sniff out an idiot, a flipper, or a scammer far before that person will make it to 100 posts.

It's a good policy.

RealCavDog

What a pleasant change and a surprise after reading the title !

Anyway, WELCOME ! , and you may have noticed as a lurker, as I was for a long time, not many folks have the same standards as you, and will post anything to any subject, and even start threads to get there ! Always find it funny when you suspect that, and as soon as post 101 hits, the ads appear !

Would have to say your idea has some great merit, and think it may have been suggested in similar form, but you broke it down very well !

Lets see where this goes, and you may want to look around at posts that interest you, as asking questions pertinent to an existing thread filters out an amazing amout of flack, as I am sure you have seen, as opposed to starting silly new threads !

You will be amazed at how fast your count rises with a few curious and legitimate subjects, and again, adding to existing threads makes them that much more helpful for the next guy ! 2cents

Jay

Tlauden

First off, Welcome. As said before the 100 posts isn't hard to get to but i completely understand where you are coming from with your suggestion, and i think if the details could be worked out it would be a great system. I guess we will see where this thread goes and hope for the best:)

Darwin T

frist welcome to SS.

If i remember correctly as usual one person screws it up for everyone. 2cents i was not involved in it, but, several months back one guy was causing trouble and was removed from the site and i think he tried to rejoin and one of the things he was doing was posting adds. to keep him from just coming right back and causing more trouble they raised the limit that would take him to much time. now you have to wait because of him. :sad: this is a great bunch of guys and there is a lot of information and help here.

if i am wrong let me know.

i don't think the 100 rule keeps you from viewing or buying from the classified adds. if you are planning on buying a MV then this is your chance to research which one you want and any problems that may come with them (like no parking at your house).

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the main problem with any classified updates is the fact that these changes need to be approved and made by one of our 2 admins. Neither have taken much interest in the site for the last year or so. Until they re-engage, NO site upgrades will be taking place. We will continue to wait for that to happen.

Bighurt

I think there are other improvements to the classifieds that would be better suited. You don't need a 100 posts to "commit to buy".

Welcome to the site and trust me it's better to ask questions then purchase vs purchase than ask questions. Technical manuals can answer a lot of questions, but not everything. I bought my M35 in 03' and I'm still learning, this forum has helped a lot.

Lastly search is your friend, figuring out how to use it can be a challenge.

GTO Tiger

Raven,
I really have to agree with you on the challenge of attaining the 100 posts! I was lurking for a while, then joined a little over a month ago. My 17 year old son just bought an MV (I am his financial backer :) ). It took him a few months to work out the deal with the selling organization, thus I lurked until he actually was able to make the deal.

Anyway while I was lurking I learned a LOT! One of the biggest things I learned is that in many cases you will NOT get answers to your questions... instead "use the search function" or "read the manuals" replies or something to that extent. Seeing how others got verbally smacked like that, I have spent a LOT of time using the search function and in most cases, after weeding through many threads, have come to find my answers. In some cases, some kind soul may have included a relevant link to the subject the original person posted a question about. My hat is off to those individuals who remember how THEY started out in this hobby and work to make the path for those that follow a little easier.

My point is, we OWN an MV and my post count is only about 20 because most questions we have had as newbies have been answered in the vast history of this site! At this time I don't have any need to post a classified ad, but I see attaining the magic "100" and living to tell about it is the big challenge ;-)

That being said, I do see this as the BEST MV resource anywhere thanks to the AWESOME SS admin, moderators and knowledgeable MV owners!

Welcome! :beer:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
ALSO remember you search and read the TMs, and still can't find your answer, we HELP, but you have to TRY to help yourself FIRST

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Raven,
I really have to agree with you on the challenge of attaining the 100 posts! I was lurking for a while, then joined a little over a month ago. My 17 year old son just bought an MV (I am his financial backer :) ). It took him a few months to work out the deal with the selling organization, thus I lurked until he actually was able to make the deal.

Anyway while I was lurking I learned a LOT! One of the biggest things I learned is that in many cases you will NOT get answers to your questions... instead "use the search function" or "read the manuals" replies or something to that extent. Seeing how others got verbally smacked like that, I have spent a LOT of time using the search function and in most cases, after weeding through many threads, have come to find my answers. In some cases, some kind soul may have included a relevant link to the subject the original person posted a question about. My hat is off to those individuals who remember how THEY started out in this hobby and work to make the path for those that follow a little easier.

My point is, we OWN an MV and my post count is only about 20 because most questions we have had as newbies have been answered in the vast history of this site! At this time I don't have any need to post a classified ad, but I see attaining the magic "100" and living to tell about it is the big challenge ;-)

That being said, I do see this as the BEST MV resource anywhere thanks to the AWESOME SS admin, moderators and knowledgeable MV owners!

Welcome! :beer:
One thing that would help the search function is if members were more specific about what the thread is about rather than tittles like " Look what i did this weekend " when they do a brake job on their deuce . If they tittled it "deuce brake job" it would make searching much easier.

GTO Tiger

One thing that would help the search function is if members were more specific about what the thread is about rather than tittles like " Look what i did this weekend " when they do a brake job on their deuce . If they tittled it "deuce brake job" it would make searching much easier.
Amen!!!!

Whoops, I think that reply just brought my post count to 22. Maybe it's not as difficult as I thought.

I guess I can't ask any questions about 'possems either since it looks like that subject has been well covered! Oh well, search function here I come :p

OOPS should be "possums"

Last edited:

onegmjack

I don't see what could be sold in the classifieds, if you don't own any military stuff.If I had less that 100 and wanted to buy,I would send the member a personal messge, I don't think they would say come back when you have 100 or more post.

Last edited:

eagle4g63

I think he is getting at the: "wanted......" add to be placed. While there are many classified ads, sometimes you need to be able to just put in a I Need Ad.

It's funny I was in a similar boat about needing(well wanting) to place a wanted ad....and now that I have over the 100 post count, can't for the life of me remember what I wanted to put an ad for!!

Funny how that works!