• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yet another Classifieds question/suggestion

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Raven, here's a sample thread to help you out. ;)

"Hi, my name is Raven and I'm new to the site from FL. I'm new to MVs but I've been looking for a M35A2 in my area to buy. I've seen a few listed in the classifieds for sale but can't seem to find one in my area."

Try posting a thread like that. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I'll just offer my personal experience.

When I found this site thru a friend that found it surfing around and never joined, I could barely turn on the computer and get on line...no chit.:shock:

I think it's all about attitude and behaviour.
Your attitude is correct because you have behaved in a respectful, intelligent manner and posed your questions/concerns well.

You will do well here.

Join in where ever you see a chance, ask a question, make a comment on the threads of the different forums...get to know how we work and just ....enjoy.

Everything else you want will follow and it will be a smoothe ride.

Welcome...and God Bless:beer:

Last edited:

RavenTBK

All righty. I'm surprised to see so many replies to "yet another thread" within a 24 hour period.

Lets see, I'm going to try and address some of the comments. They will be out of order, and without quotes. I'm currently 200 miles from home in my big truck, waiting at the delivery point for my slow moving chemical pump to transfer 2000 gallons of hypochlorite into a sewage plant. ;)

I see references to someone abusing the system, getting banned, and said user recreating accounts to be able to re-post his wares. I completely understand the issue. The issue would be lessened if the user had to either reach 100 posts, or pony up cash to be able to access the "working parts" of the site.

I also recognize the sample threads, and agree that would be a way to get done what I want to get done. However, from reading the rules the many times I have gone through them, posting for sale/want ads is generally frowned upon outside of vbclassfieds. Even under the guise of an introduction thread, I still wouldnt feel right including such extraneous information. Ethics anyone? ;)

My desire for access to the classifieds was basically to offer up an item of comparable value (fishing boat) as trade for an M35A2, not just to ask for a deuce as a "gift", or some other lowball request as most "wanted" ads are. Dang ethics... I just blew it, didnt I? :D

I would simply stalk the "Deuce" and "Modifications" forums, but personally, I have no questions to ask of the group. I cannot for the life of me think of ANYTHING I could ask, that hasnt already been answered before and revealed in a search. Thats how I operate. :) Now, once I get my own truck, I am sure I could run into an issue that requires a question, but until then, I have absolutely no clue what to ask. Maybe "how much is diesel where you live?" lol I've read all about swapping a wo/w to a w/w, spin on filter conversions, veggie oil, biodiesel, pictoral views of a deuce's undercarraige, clutch replacements, repairing/replacing/swapping the pressure switch to fix your brake lights, how to properly pull 12v for add-on electronics, and on and on. Basically, everything I could ever want to do to my truck or know about it has been covered in depth. Just gotta know how to look for it in the archives. ;)

Maybe I could clarify my position a bit. Basically, money makes the world go round. The SS community requires a bit to pay for bandwidth and colocation. Why not "open it up" to the world... you wanna buy/sell? You pay, or reach 100 posts, which screens out the freeloaders and spammers. The ads will continue to be moderated for content and character as always, which screens out the riffraff. Obviously, if an account gets banned for whatever reason, if that user wants to create a second account, they will end up paying twice: once before they were banned, and once to be able to get back to continue their spam, which would be promptly removed and then banned again by a mod. No refunds = basically free money to help pay for bandwidth. ChaChing! 2cents

Maybe I'm just ahead of my time on this concept? I understand the site "owners" havent had much time to devote to continued development of the forums. That thing happens to every web forum at some point in its existence. I've been involved with plenty, modded a few, and ran / developed my own. I've seen almost every issue from all sides. Thats why I was trying to present my suggestion in such an open manner. vB is a fun forum system, with code available almost everywhere to make it do almost anything you want, including subscription based access to limited areas.

I appreciate the words of encouragement from everybody, and I dont plan on going anywhere. Who knows? Maybe this thread will continue to be engaging and entertaining, and not turn south like the other rants? I could maybe make the limit just here, trying to make my case. ;)

PSBTW, I like possums. That is all. As you were.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Raven,

Welcome to the SS family. I appreciate your suggestion.

The 100 post limit was imposed to prevent spammers from signing up and then blasting the classifieds with useless crap before we could catch it. Some members, which were really businesses, were taking advantage of the system as well. The current plan is to initiate a new classified system that would allow commercial members to purchase classified ads in limited numbers on a per ad basis. This will provide some needed revenue to the sight to support upgrades and pay server fees. Regular members could also buy ads inexpensively even if they have zero posts. Premium members will have free classifieds. Stay tuned.

hlcrkfrm

Raven, this is a great site you will find out just about anything you need on here ,it may take some time looking but it's worth it. I've spent hours on here looking and finding what i was looking for and it helped, enjoy the site and welcome .

Goose2448

Welcome to SS.

Most of these guys around here know me as the guy that cant seem to find the money for a MV. Been searching for one for 8 years, find one, cant find the funds. I have read, read, and read. First of Read and learn. As you learn, you may be able to help with some questions. Or general things, like I owned a Civy 85 C20, so I could answer general questions. And sometimes, if you can offer a good laugh in a "Broke my..." thread, it helps with a bad day. Also drop in chat, you can learn a lot in there, some good some bad. HAHA And this thread is helping too! Oh and no one is stupid, just smrt in different capacities.

Attachments