• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

yet another engine issue

seniqsurfer

I was fairly low in fuel, forgot my wallet, but had a $20 in the glove box.. so the story starts.

Running very low in fuel, about 10 miles from home last Sunday (31st) I stopped at a valero on a feeder road near channel view/Baytown for some diesel. I've been there before so didn't think anything of it. I put 20 in the tank and headed home. Figuring I would just top it off Tuesday morning before work.

Then I decided to head to taco bell that afternoon (to lazy to cook) and while sitting at the window, sucking in as much of their ac as possible, I noticed my fairly smooth idle had turned a bit rough bit not to a point it was really obvious, just a slight shake from normal.

Got home with no issue. The following day (Monday) I was heading to La Marque, Tx to meet someone and right as I passed through Kemah I noticed the shake at a light getting a bit worse. Then started to notice a loss of power. By the time I found a spot to turn around and head home it was too late. Foot almost to the floor, engine sounding normal (not knocking anyway) it refused to pick up speed. It shifted down to second to hold a steady 45mph. Shifting into 3rd it would slow down on flat ground.

Then....... it just shuts off and coasts to the shoulder. After 30 min it starts, running VERY rough, but pulls its own @ss into a Lowe's lot. I managed to get it towed Tuesday back to the house where it'll now idle (extremely rough) for a few min, then about die. At full throttle in park it will not rev up more than a few hundred RPM and when I lift off it dies. Restart, same thing. I have noticed some smoke from the exhaust (somewhat white).

At a rough idle my gen 2 light is on and volts are low. If I can get it to idle up that light goes off and volts read normal but it continues to shake.

I've checked:
Coolant= normal level, no bubbles, upper hose not hard.
Oil= normal level, smells a bit of diesel but not thin, milky, or abnormal.
Fuel filter= turned bleed valve and got pure diesel. Faint hint of maybe gas but not sure.
Air filter= clean and normal.
Transmission fluid= normal level, fresh.

Not sure what to do now. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fisrt off you need to update your user profile. Your State of residence is a requirement. City is nice but not required.

Second. Drain you fuel filter into a glass jar. Look to see if diesel, gas and water are present.

Third. You may need to change the fuel filter. By sucking the bottom of the tank you may have introduced dirt/gunk in to the filter.

bonedoc

Being it started shortly after getting some fuel I would start there. Replace your fuel filters, maybe drain out your tank. Maybe you had some crap in bottom that got stirred up and sucked up. Maybe pull pump and make sure pick up screen is clean.

K9Vic

Sounds like a bad fuel filter, you should replace it. Had the same issues on my M1031 and after I replaced the filter all was fine.

Second, one should not run their fuel tank under 1/4 tank to avoid these issues. On all my diesel trucks (84 K20 Suburban, 98 K1500 Suburban and 86 M1031) I try to never go below 1/2 tank to keep the dirt that is likely in the tank from the tank screen.

Side note, with any gas or diesel vehicle that has a fuel pump in the tank you should keep your tank at least 1/2 full in the summer time. That fuel helps to keep the pump cooler in the summer heat and will help to prevent fuel pump damage. Running it super low can cause the pump to get hot and fail. Just a word of advise to anyone reading this.

seniqsurfer

My fuel gauge needs to be replaced regardless. At full it's way over the full mark so I'm not exactly sure where empty really is. Given the LOOK of the gauge at full, the full mark would become half, 3/4 would become 1/4 give or take. That isn't exact as I said just by the LOOK and placement of the gauge needle. I refill at full (theoretical 1/2 give or take) sometimes 3/4. I noticed some white smoke indicating its not bugging all the fuel. I thought maybe head gasket but all my fluids are normal and remain at normal levels. It's not thick white smoke, you really have to look to see it. However, when it dies at idle it will puff some black smoke mixed with some white. At first it was just the passenger side exhaust puffing smoke, today it's both sides.

seniqsurfer

I'm trying to upload a video of it running to YouTube and will attempt to post the link here when it's done. I'm not sure if the video will show how much it is shaking at an idle but it did die twice. You may also notice the wif light flashing. I will start by saying yes,I need to fix that as well. It has been flashing sense day one. The previous owner had replaced the filter and it continues to flash. I have driven it about 8k miles and while it would flash it never caused an issue.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you drained the water separator drain at the filter housing?

Change your filter and go from there.

Next, I would check the return-line check ball.

seniqsurfer

has a hose that runs down under the frame? Yes, I opened the valve and let it drain into a clean, dry 2ltr bottle. I let it drain off until the 2ltr bottle was about 1/4 full. Sitting in the driveway in my YouTube video.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't see you tube.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could have a faulty sensor.

Try unplugging it if it bothers you that much.

acesneights1

either your staving for fuel or your IP is toast. What I like to do(this is not easy but worth it) is eliminate the fuel system as much as possible and work backwards. I setup an outboard motor fuel tank years ago with a 12v fuel pump with alligator clips. I usually connected my temporary fuel supply tank right to the IP and then see what happens. If the truck runs good, then my problem is supply. If it doesn't, my problem is the IP.
If you can't do that I would sight glass it. Put clear tubing in between the fuel filter and the IP(some will say do this on the return but I like to see what's going into the pump).
If you have any air bubbles, that is your problem. If not then put a gauge on the fuel line and see how much pressure you have. This is easy on a CUCV as there is a test plug on a block located in the passenger side front wheel wheel.
Report back after these tests.

seniqsurfer

Tomorrow I'm going to try filling my Jerry can and running a line from that to the pump. Possibly pull the injectors and attempt to clean them. And change the fuel filter. The previous owner said something about checking for an electrical issue with the pump, not sure what he was talking about sense it's a mechanical pump.

Westech

CPL
I find it very funny when people say don't run low on fuel because you suck from the bottom of the tank.
Where do you think the fuel pick up tube sits the glove box? It's always at the bottom! Any water, trash, is always at the bottom!!

seniqsurfer

Replaced the fuel filter, added diesel kleen to the tank. Sounds like it runs smoother, will rev up a bit now. When I'm on the throttle it'll rev up but then studders, goes back up, then studders again. Up and down, up and down, then eventually dies again. Fires right back up, less shaking at idle, but still has a shake. Still puffs smoke from both sides (driver side more than passenger). After a few seconds at idle the smoke volume sites down some.

rsh4364

either your staving for fuel or your IP is toast. What I like to do(this is not easy but worth it) is eliminate the fuel system as much as possible and work backwards. I setup an outboard motor fuel tank years ago with a 12v fuel pump with alligator clips. I usually connected my temporary fuel supply tank right to the IP and then see what happens. If the truck runs good, then my problem is supply. If it doesn't, my problem is the IP.
If you can't do that I would sight glass it. Put clear tubing in between the fuel filter and the IP(some will say do this on the return but I like to see what's going into the pump).
If you have any air bubbles, that is your problem. If not then put a gauge on the fuel line and see how much pressure you have. This is easy on a CUCV as there is a test plug on a block located in the passenger side front wheel wheel.
Report back after these tests.
This is what I would do also.Deff. sounds like its starving for fuel.If it is mech. pump check the rubber line going from hard line near pump to the pump,mine had to tight of a bend and as time went by it squeezed off fuel to mech. pump more and more.Just something to check.I have since gone elect.pump and spin on filter. Added a pressure gauge on input side of filter and outlet side also,Imagine if you had a fuel gauge your problem would be most likely be diagnosed.

Last edited: