• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yet another engine oil and diesel fuel thread

fleetmech

Wish there was good test results available on the major fuel (diesel) additives that's for sale.. Sometime feel like I'm wasting $$ on hype.

This is one of the videos I mentioned. It primarily concerns anti-gel, but covers lubricity too.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Learning something new here. I did not drive much, but I always just use regular diesel without additives. Somebody mentioned definitely NOT to use SHELL V-Power diesel (which I use in my private cars) because it cleans too much these old engines.

Additives in diesel are very unknown here, since we automatically have winter and summer diesel that fits all modern (less than 20 year old) engines even big trucks. Never heard that anybody put something extra in the diesel unless it gets extreme cold (below zero Fahrenheit) for weeks, and then its just adding a bit of regular fuel.

Here in the EU we now also have new indicators on our pumps: E10 and B7 for the standard fuels. B7 is the standard diesel with not more than 7% biodiesel. Can be as little as zero, that is just the upper limit. E10 means max 10% ethanol. All cars can drive on that stuff without problem.

So should I put some additive in my 5-ton 1965 multifuel (rebuilt 1973) to help save the pump and other parts on top of the European standard diesel?

Reactions: HDN

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Robo McDuff I would say yes. All though I push the aftermarket additives I will say if I find some 2 stroke oil and since I no longer really use it I dump it in any truck that is close. I even find unopened 2 stroke bottles at my recycle trash dump on the pallets and I grab it no problem.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Do NOT put diesel crankcase drain oil in anything, It is crap. Oil is cheap enough to put a few gallons of New motor into a full tank of diesel fuel, whatever it is they are selling nowadays called diesel fuel.
Look and see what it is You are trying to protect.

davidb56

What about waste motor oil filtered to 5 microns, with one gallon of WMO added to 50 gallons of ULSD fuel?
Personally I wouldn't put any used oil in my fuel unless its filtered to less than one micron, using a REAL centrifuge that has a retention time in the bowl for at least 4 minutes and has been preheated to over 140F. Used oil should look like new oil when completely clean, but most of the additives are also gone, so New oil is best because of the available pump protection additives, or just buy a additive like Howes etc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks