• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yet another knuckle boot install...

Kharville

I am following the infamous stepxstep document for replacing front seals, boots, etc. On a Deuce. I have gotten to the point where I install the inner clamp on the new boot. Everything says place the clamp bolt at the top but I find I cannot get it anywhere where the knuckle does not hit the clamp. I tried to follow a dead post earlier but that lead to web page that would not load. The poster said he had to rotate the clamp several times to get it to clear. My clamp looks just like the one in the stepxstep photos. I even tried a shorter bolt. Anyone know what I am doing wrong? aua

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Are you on the driver's side?

I don't put the clamp at 12 o'clock on the left side because the steering arm hits it. I rotate it a little back, so it's just behind the arm. That shouldn't hit anything.

If there's any question, once you're done with the boot, rotate the knuckle through it's arc of travel.

Kharville

I am having the issue on both sides. What I have done so far is install the inner clamp then put the knuckles on to test the arc of travel. Adjust, repeat, adjust repeat. I think if I cut the excess threads off the clamp bolt to shorten it further it may work. I did notice when I put the knuckle on it(the knuckle) raises up a little when tightened. There is some up/down travel on the bushings. It sits lower until the bushings are tight. I'll try and get a photo later today and add it. What bothers me is that I read of everyone else just installing the clamps and moving on with the install. Not much I have read of anyone having this much trouble with this. Unless they are not checking for proper rotation, I don't see how they would not hit also. There is only about 1.5" carved out of the inside of the knuckle for clamp clearance, it seems. Thanks for insight so far.

Kharville

Tightening the top bushing does indeed raise the knuckle. I was checking with it slightly loose. Tightening the plates and shortening the clamp bolt is going to work for me.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW, when removing the old (military installed) knuckle boot on my driver side, the INNER axle clamp bolt was in the 5 o'clock position and the OUTER axle clamp bolt was in the 10 o' clock position. The boot was not torn in those locations.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Me thinks any grease at all on the "rubber" zip boots kill them quick.
When grease PM is done that plug is supposed to be pulled.
I remember I got frazzled with boot installation so installed longer bolt and used a lot of "helping hands".
When I was all done I found I spent 3 times more time cleaning than I did getting the boot on.
IMG_5382.jpgIMG_5405.jpgIMG_5407.jpgIMG_5410.jpgIMG_5412.jpg

Kharville

Those bar clamps are the key to getting the boot finished. Might even be better than a second set of hands getting in the way. Once I put on the 2 bar clamps I had the boot cinched up in a minute or so. The silicone boot seemed to pop into the groove and stay fairly good while I tightened the remaining ring clamp.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Those bar clamps are the key to getting the boot finished. Might even be better than a second set of hands getting in the way. Once I put on the 2 bar clamps I had the boot cinched up in a minute or so. The silicone boot seemed to pop into the groove and stay fairly good while I tightened the remaining ring clamp.
Since it was only ever me under Her those extra hands did save the day.

What I meant to say after all the threads I did read about all the
different kinds and installations of boots......

Clean clean clean
, pull the plug when you grease Her......
Never ever do the PM on greasing with out pulling that little plug.

Any boots hate grease
Boots and GAA which is all I have used eats rubber

Do a test
Take a new boot, whatever flavor, and put it in your favorite grease (which should be GAA on these trucks [TM}) and leave it on there for a couple of whiles, and watch boot fail.
It ain't the windshield wiper ozone thing that attacks, well some of it, but mostly it is the GAA,or whatever substitute you substituted for the recommended proper stuff, apparently many think the can out think my zillions of bucks what they paid for to do better at the local gedunk store.

Last edited:

Mquirin

I just recieved a M35a3. I've been greasing all the zerts and grease points. Once I got to the Steering Knuckle top and bottom zerts, they seem to be taking tons of grease. How much should I put in these? Enough that it starts to come out? I've put about 50 pumps in each zert and it still feels like it will take a lot more.

Big Tom

The top and bottom fittings just Grease the king pins all the extra goes into the boot, just two or three pumps is plenty

Big Tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks