• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yet another motor and mod

paulfarber

Since the SBC oil pump and drill get pretty old pretty quick I searched for a motor to rig up. Since I am all about the 'cost savings' $150+ for a motor is not realistic, I simply don't more that much oil to need it.

So, off to (you guessed it) Harbor Freight to get a 1HP clean water pump.

1" Clear Water Pump

First, if this is a 1HP motor then it was a very sick horse, on a very cold day. Really the only thing that is lacking is the start coil is kinda weak. This is a 3000 rpm motor, and I knew the 3:1 reduction would help out even if it was in reality a 1/4HP motor. The GOOD things about it are that its a continious duty motor with cooling fins and an internal fan. You also need to add some sort of switch and fuse as all you get out of the box is the motor.. no cords.

The first pic is all the crap. The pulleys and belt were from Tractor supply. All total I have about $50 for the motor, $40 for the pulleys and belt.

First pic is the stuff. The second pic is with the pump part removed showing a flange on the casting that needs cut off, the third is the flat base.

The motor shaft is a wierd .470.. not the perfect .050 I was hoping for... so there is a little wobble in system.

I'll post the complete unit later... but using garden hose and the SBC oil pump and this motor I will estimate that I am getting 10GPM. It might even go higher but the pump collapses the hose I have now.. looking for something a little thicker to resist the suction.

Attachments

Last edited:

area52

I used an old washer or dryer motor, think it was 1/2 hp? Found it for free at the at the local thrift shop.

I put a "cam-loc" fitting on the suction side of my SBC pump and used some non-collapsible hose. I think I am getting close to 7 GPM out of it.

paulfarber

I never seem to find these free parts. If I do see something, the part I need (motor etc) is the reason its being tossed out. For $40 I don't have to hassle with a mount (built in feet) and if it does die, I can get the same motor that fits right back into the setup with no issues. IIRC the motor is a standard NEMA size.

Don't you have to pay to dispose of (PROPERLY) the carcus? Or at least drive it to a Best Buy or someplace that takes them for free?

area52

It was free because I told them I could get rid of the remains for free ( I live in the county so I can dump at the landfill for free) and the leads were broke in the motor. I work with electricians so they fixed it for me for free.

I put a metal strap around it and screwed it to a two by four to mount it. I think the coupling was $20? Can't remember it was a few years ago.

camp9

I've got two clear water pumps that were set up a deep well as a jet pump. I've thought about using it for wmo, do I have to get a different pump for shallow well, or can I plug off one of the holes so it can pump the oil?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks