• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

yet another mystery sound? help

hokie8358

ok i know one more mystery sound to solve!! but i need major help on this one,so put your thinking caps on. i purchased a m1008 from the DLA in richmond va. bout 10 months ago. you guys on here got me through the death wobble issue,which was a first. thanks!! just last week i installed a 6in. all leaf skyjacker suspension lift, with 315 size mastercraft mud tires. now keep in mind before stock i had no issues or sounds with it at any speed.

now when i accelerate 0-25mph still good but when i hit 40-55 cruisin speed and you maintain or let off on the fuel, there is a loud clanging or metallic grinding or rubbing sound coming from the cab to the rear diff. area. now ,when i give it power again it quits and is smooth. and when you really notice it is when you take it out of gear and throw it to neutral say at 40-50mph rolling along with 6.2 idling at that speed IT SOUNDS AWFUL!!

now the only things thus far i have done to it to rule out sum things is,replaced the bent driveshaft of course and joints was good top and bottom when installed,new rear wheel cylinders and the brakes were good and spindle bearings inner and outer was fine. so i say i am at a stand still!!

please help. oh yeah almost forgot, when truck is setting still i put it to neutral on level ground with engine off and moved the rear driveshaft, is it normal for it to rotate half way around and then to return back to original spot? i am assuming this is the locker unit allowing it to do this. all info is greatly appreciated. thanks

Barrman

You are able to rotate the input yoke on the rear axle more than 180° with the truck in neutral and the parking brake on, correct? I just tried that on a CUCV 14 bolt across my class. Maybe 30° of free play. I think you need rear differential work.

chevyCUCV

My driveshaft does not spin back like you are saying, with rear wheels off the ground what happens?

I would guess your rear end is messed up?
Have you pulled the rear diff cover yet?

transman

I would bet on rear diff issues. pull the cover and check the condition and quanity of lube (or lack of).With the driveshaft held from moving the ring gear should only move about .010 .(the thicknessof a match pack). Too much play or gouges/scratches on thegear teeth are signs of trouble. checking this way takes the locker out of the equation.

hokie8358

what happens when tires are off the ground, i spin one wheel and the other
moves in the same direction. i will pull cover in a bit and check the unit. i have not done this but you can tell that sum one has been in it before.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks