• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yet another texan

terratek

Thanks for that, am reading it now. Originally I was thinking of fabricating a windshield (since it has places to mount the supports), and doing a little work on removable additions (turn signals, seat belts, etc) and then registering it as an LSV, but I would be much more interested in getting a regular registration on it if possible.

According to the plate:
Length is 168"
Width is 62"
Overall Height is 66"
Shipping Weight is 3200lbs
Ground clearance isn't too bad, managed to get it on the uhaul car hauler without damaging trailer or vehicle.

As far as the trailering and rig, right now I am trying to clear out a few projects to generate some income and pick up a 3/4 ton or larger truck/van with standard transmission.. I towed the vehicle home on a car hauler towed by a 1975 automatic f150... Am pleasantly surprised the transmission didn't fall apart, although i really couldn't get above maybe 50mph, and it was complaining the entire trip back.

When I came back to San Antonio my land was entering foreclosure, I ended up selling my f350 and trailer to keep the land. So for now, everything is up in the air. I have been wanting an M35A2 pretty much forever, but for the time being, I will probably end up going the cheapest route and pick up an f250 or 350 that needs some work.

terratek

I have a bill of sale on the vehicle, but have been unable to locate a VIN.

For the purposes of titling, would the serial number on the data plate suffice?
Also, as the vehicle is going to be sitting in either my back yard or my brother's while it is being worked on, would form SR-2 suffice as an insurance waiver?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a bill of sale on the vehicle, but have been unable to locate a VIN.

For the purposes of titling, would the serial number on the data plate suffice?
Also, as the vehicle is going to be sitting in either my back yard or my brother's while it is being worked on, would form SR-2 suffice as an insurance waiver?
Hmmm. The lack of a VIN might be a challenge. In theory, the Serial Number on the data plate is the identifying number most probably used. We have a 1960 Mil Semi-Trailer and I haven't found a Serial Number anywhere on it other than the Data Plate. When I get around to titling & Registering it, that will have to suffice. I guess yours' will be a comparable situation.
I'm not familiar with the SR-2, but so long as you're using it ONLY for exhibitions and not generally on the road, you "could" go without insurance. I would be VERY cautious about the liabilities you will be assuming if you choose the "no insurance" route.

Hope that helps.
John

terratek

197thhhc: Thanks!

USAFFS: I plan on insuring it if I ever use it on the road, but once I get all the work done on it and get it repainted, registered, etc; it will still be spending most of its time in the yards. Luckily my brother's place is across the street from my backyard, and at a dead end. There is also a field next to his place, so all test rides will be taking place there.

Blueduce

Welcome from South Dallas. The Chaplin is right. Texas is fortunately rather straight forward about registering these MV's of ours. All I had was a bill of sale for my M35 and it's data plate. I was able to use the ID number off the data plate and a bonded title to register mine.

terratek

Blueduce: Very cool, this will be my first time trying to title something that is lacking a vin, so figured I would ask before I get everything together.

It looks like finding info on this is going to be a real pita. The museum has no records or photos concerning it, but they forwarded my email to their restoration dept, so we'll see if anything happens there. In the meantime I have filed an foia request for the contract it was produced under. That should at least give me a little better history of it for the time being. I'm thinking of filing an foia for the technical or operators manual if I don't hear back from taylor dunn.

It's been misting and raining yesterday and today, so I haven't messed with it much. If it clears up today I will get to work on some of the wiring and see if i can get it started.

combatmech

I'm waiting on more info from my buddy at NAVAIR.... His first response was " You want info on a WHAT?!?!?!? " I'm kinda surprised that P-Cola didnt have anything. As soon as I know, I'll get back to you brother.

terratek

combatmech: Thanks much! That is pretty much the response I have gotten from everyone. The museum response was that the equipment chief and their library contained no information on it, they searched the tech chief's library with no luck, but were going to pass the request to the tech chief and resto dept anyway. They also said if i don't hear back from them in a couple of weeks, resend the request.

I went ahead and transcribed the data plate in case it can help in any way.

TRUCK AIRFIELD MAINTENANCE AND LINE SERVICE GASOLINE 4 X 2
MODEL: CN-40-A
CAPACITY: 4000 LBS.
SER.: 7897
YEAR OF MANUFACTURE: 1967
ENG. SER. NO: 4384146
REGISTRATION NO. USN: 94-74697
CONT. NO: N00600-67-C-0023
SHIPPING WT.: 3200 LB
GROSS VEHICLE WT.: 7200 LB
OVERALL HEIGHT: 66 IN
WIDTH: 62 IN
LENGTH: 158 IN
WARRANTY 12 MO
DATE SHIP: 7 67
UNITED TRACTOR INC. CHESTERTON, INDIANA

On the plus side, I've always wanted a rare mv, just didn't think the first one I picked up would be the one ;)

terratek

two.fiveM35: Thanks!

A little update, if anyone has information or a copy of NAVWEPS 19-25-115, it would be greatly appreciated. I ended up with a couple of pages from it, and it is the correct manual for this vehicle. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any easily available online source for it.

Jesse6325

Welcome from the land of OG terratek.
Going to ask my lead at work tomorrow if he's seen anything like that before. ( I work in GSE at the former Chase field in Beeville)
He's worked in GSE for at least 30 years, Mostly navy stuff.
Might get REALLY lucky and have a manual or a TM somewhere.

terratek

Jesse6325:
Orange Grove! I remember driving through there when I used to take my VW Thing to Corpus along the scenic route. Been a long time since I have heard that name :)

Thanks much, this restoration is being started on an extremely small budget, at the moment the budget should cover oil, filter, plugs, and basic wiring. After that I get to sell some stuff and start the hard work.

terratek

Just to let everyone know, I started a build thread here.

I figure at this point it's probably best not to have everything in the new member intro thread.

I am hoping to get some more work done on it this weekend. So far I have started it on starter fluid, used bolt cutters to remove 80-90% of the wiring, purchased a new keyed ignition switch, toggle switch, and starter solenoid; and have enough of it rewired to start it.

Once I have it running for more than 5 seconds, I will video it.. 45 years old, and it purrs like a kitten.