• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yet another tire size/lift question

rjinga

Hey everyone,

I did check several pages of threads before posting these questions, but didn't find the specific answers.

I recently bought a M1009 that came with 33/12.5R15 size tires and no lift. I really like the tire width, and the overall height isn't bad either. Plus, I haven't noticed any rubbing.

However, I'll have to replace the tires within the next 12 months anyway, so my question is, can I go up to 35/12.5R15 (318/80R15 - metric) without lifting the M1009? If not, how much and what type of lift would you recommend? Lastly, any brand suggestions for tires that size?

Thanks

rjinga

Ok, after even more research I'm thinking keep the 33/12.5R15 with a 2" Tuff Country suspension lift (blocks in the back - cheaper and I'm going mostly for looks). Or, could I run 35/12.5R15 on a 3" lift? I would welcome anyone's first hand knowledge and PHOTOS (did I mention I'm going mostly for looks?)

Last edited:

Gunnar1071

Ok, after even more research I'm thinking keep the 33/12.5R15 with a 2" Tuff Country suspension lift (blocks in the back - cheaper and I'm going mostly for looks). Or, could I run 35/12.5R15 on a 3" lift? I would welcome anyone's first hand knowledge and PHOTOS (did I mention I'm going mostly for looks?)
Check out CUCVfreeks' sig, he went bigger, but it gives you an idea.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/54154-my-cucv-lift.html

Here is his thread.^^^^^^^

Last edited:

rjinga

Can you do a 3" suspension lift without any steering or linkage, or any other modifications? Stated another way, how much can you lift before you have to do modifications to other parts of the M1009?

MudderMilitia

33/12.5 is the biggest tire you can go with no lift on a m1009
False, all depends how much you are willing to cut. I ran 35s with no lift on my 89 k5 for awhile. no trimming in the rear and just some slight trimming to the front fender opening and a little of the inner wheel well

Can you do a 3" suspension lift without any steering or linkage, or any other modifications? Stated another way, how much can you lift before you have to do modifications to other parts of the M1009?
With a 3" (or 4) you should get a raised steering arm, dropped pitman arm or dropped draglink. Raised steering arm is the most recommended though. Its cheap and not too hard to do, just have fun getting those **** cone washers out. They can be a b#*ch or can be super easy like on my m1009. As for tires, I had 35" Trxus MTs and I loved them. Very good on snowy roads too

rjinga

With a 3" (or 4) you should get a raised steering arm, dropped pitman arm or dropped draglink. Raised steering arm is the most recommended though. Its cheap and not too hard to do, just have fun getting those **** cone washers out. They can be a b#*ch or can be super easy like on my m1009. As for tires, I had 35" Trxus MTs and I loved them. Very good on snowy roads too
Would I need and additional mods with a 2" suspension lift?

Cucvnut

With a 2 inch you can get away with just new shocks and springs. Any bigger start looking at Steering Blocks or Cross over,Brake Lines.