• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Your Advice Please

Kora

Gentlemen,

From some where I was contracted with a unshakable Green disease. I am new on this hobby.
I saw a dozen or so m923, 5 ton cargo trucks on the Government Liquidation web site for auction. (No M35s were listed)
here are my questions;
1). Pros and cons on 5 ton cargo truck vs M35 series? Where did you purchased tour truck? Is GL a good alternate source to get a truck?
2). Would you share your experiences dealing with GL from a successful biding, award, and recovery (from the Wisconsin site).Do's and don'ts, watch out, common mistakes, and what you would do differently if you do it over again.
3). Any other tips for a green on the Green trucks purchase.

thank you in advance,

Triple C

Welcome to the website Kora. You asked some big questions, most or all of which have been addressed before. I would suggest you do a search and you will find a number of opinions and positions on each topic. You will get a much wider variety of information that way. For my two cents, I bought a 925 - 5 Ton and did every thing wrong. I didn't preview, I didn't come to this website before I purchased....etc so you are off on the right foot! As far as 5ton verses M35's I will have to let someone with more experience in both trucks do a comparison, but I can say, I like the air brakes instead of air over hydraulic that I understand the M35's have. The truck sits too high to be practical for most things I would use it for (hauling nearly anything as an example) and it cost about $1 a mile to drive. Parts are HEAVY and the truck is old. Having said that, I love playing with it and I have yet to find snow deep enough to challenge it. IF I could go back and do it over again, I would first come here, which you have done. I would then find folk with the vehicles that interest me and I would sit down with them or maybe even see if I could ride along. Then I would dive into the technical manuals (available free on this site.) And don't forget the search function, it is invaluable. Hope that helps and welcome.

RedBlok

Triple C is right. Explore this website. Figure out what location you want to bid from. Remember, you may have to pay to have the truck delivered to you. Depending on the distance and if you can find a decent rate, plan on spending between $1000 - $2000 for hauling. Find a good mechanic near the GL site. If you bid out of Sparta WI, look up SS member JBL. He knows these trucks inside and out. He offers as a paid service Pre and Post Bid Inspections, He will also recover your vehicle and store it for two weeks on his lot. JBL also can repair your truck if you would like him too. His rates are fair. A number of people on this site have worked with him. I recently got a M923A2 - I should have had it pre-viewed. I might have bid on a different truck (a little less rust to take care of). Then again looks can be decieving too. I number of member have commented that RRAD had just painted over existing. I knew the size of the M923a2 and have driven a fair share of MVs when I was in the Army, so I knew what I was getting into. If I had the money and if one came on the GL Auction, I would have bought something in the FMTV family. I had a blast driving both the LMTV and HMTV. Good Luck, there are a lot of really good people in this group.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome Kora.

If you want to look at some trucks first just let me know. There are multiple SS members in OKC that will gladly let you get your hands dirty and maybe even drive a truck or two.

You have missed the Deuce boat as most of the Deuces are gone from the military. A few are still coming out. The M939 series 5-tons are now being sold. However there are many Deuces in private hands that are for sale.

Read this document:

Attachments

Last edited:

DeucesWild11

Don't rush into it. Think about what you want it for and cost to drive. You also need to think and check into any local zoning ordinances when looking at a big truck. My M35 is OK where I am but they have a weight and length limit in my area so a 900 series wouldn't work for me. Also a 5 ton truck gets allot less MPG then a deuce. Also the deuce has the multifuel capability if you are thinking of making your own fuel.. That makes it cost allot less to drive (if you do it right).

Also need to think about insurance. A 900 series truck made in the 90's for example won't qualify for classic car insurance.

Not knocking the 900 series trucks at all I do like them, just doesn't work for what I need.

Best of luck with whatever you get..

RedBlok

Insurance can be tricky. USAA works with Progressive's commerical division. They were really good with me. They understood about members buying surplus trucks. The one thing they did stress was liability insurance. These are big trucks and they will cause major damage when they get in a wreck. don't be cheap on insurance. Also - like Triple C said, Download the TM's. They are a wealth of knowledge. They are not hard to work with. Remember the military trains soldiers to work on these things. The military sets it up by Task Condition and Standard. They tell you everything you need on how to fix things and what parts you need. Also learn about PMCS -

stampy

Have both and love both for different reasons. The deuce is almost bullet proof as long as you don't abuse it and keep up with the TM's, but it's slower and smaller than a 5 ton and has no power steering (unless you got lucky and had an airomatic on it) I like the 5 speed in a deuce too. The 5 ton is big REAL BIG, its easier to drive on a long trip auto and power steering but the allison trans may have issues and that can be expensive. Both are EXCELLENT TOW VEHICLES. Good Luck and go to a rally ask to drive both while there people may let you and it may make your decision easier.

mjcdetroit

I bought an m35a2 from GSAauctions.gov back in the spring of 2013. Before I placed a bid on it, I did something that the yard manager said was almost unprecedented: I came out to the storage yard and inspected it (as it was not too far from home--about 90 miles). I knew before I placed a bid what was good and what I and/or my former Army-mechanic brother were going to have to replace. I won the auction for what I considered a very low price. We brought two new batteries (turns out the wrong kind...my fault) to the yard but still ended up using the yard truck's salve cable to jump it. The 478-cubic-inch multifuel engine roared to life! We dumped five U.S. gallons of new diesel in the tank and then drove her around the yard to test the brakes. Brakes were good, parking brake not so much, brake lights were not working, turn signals not working, but we had good oil pressure (despite being more than a gallon low), no leaks, all fluids were good. I signed the release form and we drove that beast all the way down Grand River Ave.; from Lansing to near Detroit. I've been told by several people that recoveries do not always go as smoothly as mine did and mine should be considered a rare occurrence.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kora i have to agree with Breach27, I love my Deuce and also have a 925A1, I dont hardly drive my Deuce anymore, the 5 tons are BIG but they are very comfortable vehicles to drive! Research the subject more, both trucks are great so you will have a very hard time making a BAD decision!
KK

Dipstick

I own a bobbed Deuce. I love the sound of his whistler turbo when I run him through the gears. I've had my fair share of mechanical problems, which is odd when you consider my Deuce is an '84 and only had 11,200 miles and 400 hours when I took delivery. The Deuce is old school. Nothing is filtered out of the driving experience. It's real hands on, but it's a pure mechanical thrill to drive and I'm into that sort of thing. People love it. The 9 series 5 tons are awesome, but I don't do and never will do automatic transmissions. When I get too old to drive a stick...I'll hang up my license. Personal preference.

brianp454

I can see why guys like the 5 ton trucks, but my poking around suggests they use quite a bit more fuel. The multi is also very forgiving of fuel, especially if you keep some diesel and blend.

mcmullag

Depends on what you are going to use if for. I just do parades. I bought first deuce from private owner, used it two years and sold it. I bought second deuce from GL, needed lots of work, used it two years and sold it. I bought a M923a2 frm GL in July and have used it for 4 parades already. This 5 ton was depot rebuild in 2008 including a new Cummins 6cta. The truck is in awesome shape, 12,000 miles. I would not take it off road, too heavy weighs 10 tons empty. it keeps up with traffic much better than a deuce. I would advise someone starting out, start with a deuce. that is just my opinion. Best of luck, it is an interesting adventure to learn about these military trucks009.jpg.

Dipstick

5 tons are large, but I've seen what my friend Glenn's 5 tons can do and they kick some serious ass. I had a great time following Glenn up to Sussex last spring. I really had to hammer down to keep up with him, but I loved every second of it. Glenn's 5 ton is only a few years newer than my Deuce and my AM General is prehistoric by comparison. I guess I just enjoy the shake, rattle and roll of a Deuce. I'm just a nut for gearshifts anyway.

brianp454

Can you give a quick rundown of the mechanical problems you've had?

My observations. I purchased a truck that was rebuilt around '93 and I'm in-process of rebuilding all the brakes (linings are OK, but seals are all 20-ish years old), replacing wheel seals, rebacking bearings, etc. I think most of these trucks suffer from sitting too much and elastomer seals getting old and brittle. I found 3 of 4 rear seals failed and the 90W and grease was washed onto the rear brakes. What a job cleaning all that up was... Also, I doubt people do things like bleed brakes except as a part of a major overhaul or if a repair is made.

Thanks in advance.

I own a bobbed Deuce. I love the sound of his whistler turbo when I run him through the gears. I've had my fair share of mechanical problems, which is odd when you consider my Deuce is an '84 and only had 11,200 miles and 400 hours when I took delivery. The Deuce is old school. Nothing is filtered out of the driving experience. It's real hands on, but it's a pure mechanical thrill to drive and I'm into that sort of thing. People love it. The 9 series 5 tons are awesome, but I don't do and never will do automatic transmissions. When I get too old to drive a stick...I'll hang up my license. Personal preference.

Z71

The old deuces like mine (1969) are a good example of no nonsense real military vehicle with very few creature comforts and making enough noise that I have to wear earplugs while driving to avoid damaging my hearing. I too have hard time accepting automatic transmissions for any military vehicle, something is definitely wrong with this picture. As for the 5 tons, I would still prefer to find a really nice condition M813 with a 5 speed manual transmission. Those trucks were built like tanks, compare the size of their differentials with M923 differentials and you will see what I mean.

Right now is the time to get an M923 or M925 from the govliquidaiton services. There is a flood of these trucks on their site and they can be had at lower prices because winning bids are substantially lower than they would be if the trucks were scarce. Before you rush and get one of those trucks, figure out what you really want to do with it. They are not practical vehicles as they are horrible fuel guzzlers, and the bed is very high off the ground. They are also very tall and wide so driving them in city traffic is a challenge. Most of us own larger trucks because they are fun to take off road and fun to work on and they attract more attention than the latest model Ferrari car.

My advice is to buy the nicest truck you can find, preferably one that has been rebuilt recently and needs nothing. Sure, you will pay more for it upfront, but you will also save yourself a lot of expense later. Beat up rust buckets are the worst deal, no matter how cheap. Consider what it costs to replace ten 11.00X20 or larger tires, tubes, and flaps, rebuild the brakes, repair the rust and repaint one of those trucks. Definitely not a bargain. I would avoid trucks with the CTIS system. Not worth potential headaches in my opinion.

And even relatively light 9.00-20 tires/wheels on the deuce weigh close to 200 lbs each so taking them off and reinstalling them is not like working on a pickup truck. And the rear wheel lug nuts require 450 ft-lbs of torque to properly tighten them (compared to 140 ft-lbs on my Chevy Silverado pickup) . You need a hoist or several guys to handle large singles on an M923.

Last edited:

nmwildman013

All have pros and cons. We haven't messed with the five tons due to the CDL requirement. That said we have used bot the A2 and A3 deuces to haul scrap for the last two years and working them every day shows their weaknesses. Aside from regular maintenance all I have had to work on with the A3 was the CTIS. One A2 rarely needs work and another A2 needs work all the time but is getting better. We have 5 total. Once you get the brakes and axle seals done, fix leaks etc. they are fairly reliable if you drive them regularly. First thing we do is a complete fluids and filter change and we keep them very clean so we can spot troubles right away. We also check them carefully every day before using them. The A2s are all converted to lockout hubs and have Jatonka spin on filter conversions. They ride like a Caddy with 5 to 6 thousand pounds in the back. 60 PSI in the front tires helps them turn easier. 50 psi in the rears. We also haul 105 trailers with them and we have 3 of those. We have beat the heck out of one of the 105s but it keeps on going.