• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Your help would be greatly appreciated

Woodchip

Hi,
I am in the process of buying my first MV. I don't know much about them or what they normally sell for, etc. I just love MV's and have always wanted one.
This is what I found:
It is a 1952 M-49C. From what I found on the internet, an M-49-C is a fuel truck. This vehicle is not a fuel truck. At one time it had been used for some sort of a crane truck. There is no crane, but has the winches,in the rear and a winch up front.
I dont know if the truck runs. It has been sitting in this yard for a few years and the owners say it ran when they parked it. They want $3600.00 for it.
It needs a paint job, new batteries, they said it needs "brakes", but didn't go into details. I guess it may need a whole heck of a lot more.
I am not a mechanic, but consider myself "mechanically inclined", I am willing to learn whatever I can. I am just a 54 year old woman with a desire to own and care for one of these beasts.
Am I foolish to buy something in this condition? Could I find something in much better shape for this amount of money.
Is there anyone in the Roanoke, Virginia area that would be willing to coach me on these vehicles?
Anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Thanks,
Diane

Attachments

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
While I have a soft spot for old basket case MV's that isn't worth anywhere near $3600. (like $3000 less)

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
one thing that will help is if you can snap some pics of the engine. Also of any data plates you find (on the dash for the most part)

Woodchip

I can take some more photos. Either way, you still don't believe it would be worth that much, right? I don't think they are going to budge on their price, I don't want to buy a dead dog.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
while the truck looks to be in decent condition (better than mine) for it's age. I couldn't imagine paying that much. for that much I would expect to get a decent running mulitfuel truck.

rmgill

The winches DO add some value. Check out the PTO too, a double headed PTO for running the rear winch is nice too. Ultimately you'll need a bed though.

marksgarage2

I would not pay more than 500.00 for that truck. It would take more money than what they are asking to fix it. If you can do the work yourself then less. Not everyone can do what Kenny and other members can. I paid 5000.00 for my truck and could drive it anywhere that day.

patch

I would agree with BFR, way too much money for what you describe. For the money he's asking (or maybe a bit more), you should be able to get a mostly complete, running truck that needs only a little tinkering or odd bits to be a decent rig. "Ran when parked" too often equals big headaches (and big $$$) in my experience. Anyway, you came to the right place to ask for help. Good luck!

lacoda56

Hey woodchip, welcome aboard! This is a great site for information on these old trucks and there's a lot of very sharp people willing to help out. Now, about the M49, I have to agree with BFR on this. I wouldn't pay more than five or six hundred for it. You can find good running trucks for $3600! Usually it's best to start out with something driveable and have some fun with it while working on it. Good luck with the search and keep us posted.

Woodchip

Thank you everyone for your imput, I am sure you have saved me alot of money and misery. I am going to start to look for something that is worth the money and that I can use right away. If anyone knows of anything, PLEEZE let me know.
Thanks again!!

rdixiemiller

I paid 3K$ for mine and drove it home. 1967, multifuel engine, etc.
Although that truck has a couple of winches and a hard top, it does not look worth that much. Keep an eye on our classifieds, E-Bay, etc. There are a lot nicer trucks out there for that amount of money.

Low-Tech-Redneck

For the ammount of money they want for it, you could find one on GL or from a surplus dealer that would be in much better shape.

I'd shy away from that one, it's got "money pit" written all over it.

Not that I don't have faith you'd be able to fix whatever was wrong with it, but for almost 4 grand, you shouldn't have to be fixing much else.

Dieselsmoke

I've bought parts trucks that were more complete than that. Heck I've got two very nice complete running multifuelers here in super shape for $4500 each, shipping would be a bit much though. Like everyone said, check Ebay, some nice trucks pop up in your area often.

dlb

I gave 3500 for a 68 kaiser m35A2 (whistler) and it had new brakes and mastercyl., air assist transfer case, multifuel heater, either start, rebuilt engine, new tranny, rebuilt transfer case ect. the only thing I needed to put in it was batteries because someone left the switch on and batteries ran down then they froze solid. I put a starter on it because I tryed to jump it off the M725 and low voltage killed it qiuck. other than that it didnt need anything and runs good. I added a spring seat, low air warning light, bows and canvas in the back and removed the hard top and put a soft top on it and 1100x20's.

dlb

forgot to mention the 5 ton winch up front off a 900 series truck with hyd pump that Im trying to figure out how to get it set up and working. I still have to finish bolting the winch up and secure the bumper correctly.

Opie

Woodchip, I'm in your neighborhood. Like the Sam Cooke song would say, "Don't know much about a green MV," but with one in the yard, "what a wonderful world it would be!" PM me if you want to chug around the block some weekend. (That'll pour some gasoline on the fire... :) )

Peter

n1bnc

Good evening!

It is nice to have you aboard. I would have to agree that the $$ is a little high for what you are getting in terms of a driver. Although the engine is fairly easy to work on, and it is alleged that this is a gasser, the rest of the vehicle has not been tested. These machines are a bit more involved in terms of brakes and winches.

Since you ended up here on the M135/m211 portion, I am of the idea that you were looking at a gas truck again. Gas vs. multifuel is a personal choice, I got an M135 which has a hydramatic/automatic transmission for those in the house who can't manage the eggbeater shaft coming out of the floor. It was cheap ($1500) and ran, stopped and lit up!! Parts are plentiful too. Ebay is a great source of parts as well as complete running machines.

Spend a bit of time comparing the M34-M35's and M135/M211's and see what you want for the cash you are willing to part with, keeping in mind that you will be spending quite a bit more (often >100%)more than the purchase price. Spend the time and do a bit of research and if you excel savvy, do a spread sheet and compare the #'s and appreciate the differencees. Time is in your favor, and finally I suggest that you visit a dealer of these rigs. Lip service is free and some lips are more free than others!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks