• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Your opinion and help with MWO and PMP

Daytodog

First off thanks to everyone for all the great info. This site really is amazing because of the people on it and their willingness to share. So this being my first post let me know if I am not posting something correctly so I can get it right. With that being said thinking about an m923a2 with 8.3 for around the farm. Use it for runs into town occasionally for supplies, pulling trailers around the field, etc and cruising around the dirt roads of Va on the weekends just because I can. Really like what all I have learned here so far but would like some opinions of what you guys think of using a m923 around the farm? Can someone tell me where to find what all the WMO codes mean on the plaque? Also it has a meter reading since PMP. If I am correct PMP is preventive maintenance program, does that mean the motor was replaced, that's what I was told. Is there a way to confirm that? I tried to look in the TM section for WMO codes but couldn't find it. Sorry if it's there and I overlooked it but could someone point me to them. I just figured out that I am already getting hooked on these trucks and haven't even bought one yet, I do remember someone saying that might happen.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

Daytodog, they are great on the farm. I have a friend that owns a large seed farm. He has a M932 that he hauls a chemical tank with and he has four M915's that pull grain trailers. My M927A2 has the 8.3 and IMHO it is the best engine ever put in a tactical vehicle and I have driven a bunch of them.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
First off thanks to everyone for all the great info. This site really is amazing because of the people on it and their willingness to share. So this being my first post let me know if I am not posting something correctly so I can get it right. With that being said thinking about an m923a2 with 8.3 for around the farm. Use it for runs into town occasionally for supplies, pulling trailers around the field, etc and cruising around the dirt roads of Va on the weekends just because I can. Really like what all I have learned here so far but would like some opinions of what you guys think of using a m923 around the farm? Can someone tell me where to find what all the WMO codes mean on the plaque? Also it has a meter reading since PMP. If I am correct PMP is preventive maintenance program, does that mean the motor was replaced, that's what I was told. Is there a way to confirm that? I tried to look in the TM section for WMO codes but couldn't find it. Sorry if it's there and I overlooked it but could someone point me to them. I just figured out that I am already getting hooked on these trucks and haven't even bought one yet, I do remember someone saying that might happen.
I think you may mean MWO (Modification Work Order)??

I agree with Wreckerman (and that's rare:doh:) the M923A2 would make a good farm and all around vehicle.

Edit,,, I'm sorry, I would have sworn that said WMO!! I'm not dyslexic,(SP?) I just see things backwards.:oops:

Last edited:

Daytodog

Papabear you are correct I meant mwo, 10 out of 9 are dyslexic. Thanks for your input about whether or not 923 is good for farm use. Mntsnow thanks I'll give it a shot and see what I come up with.

IsaLandr

Tartaned Goði
We're using an M923 on our farms here, and we sent one up to work on a farm up in Alaska a few weeks ago. They're a great all-around work truck and hauler. We couldn't be happier with ours. Hauling seed, manure, mulch, irrigation piping, fertilizer, sod, firewood, building supplies, pretty much anything. It'll tow tractors and haul implements, we haven't found anything it can't or won't do on the farm. It's perfect for this and it can go just about anywhere. Just drive it carefully and try not to be too silly in what you do with it. Best farm truck ever.

You will find differing opinions on the engines and tire/wheel combinations, so take it all with a grain of salt. I like the duals of the straight M923, others like the super singles on the A1/A2. It's the same with the engines: some of us like the non-turbo NHC250 and others prefer the turbo 8.3CTA. It really comes down to personal preference and driving habits. Do some test-driving of the various combinations if you have the opportunity, and decide for yourself.

If you do decide to go with one of these trucks, get bows and cargo cover if you can, it will come in handy for certain kinds of loads and conditions. Here in WA, a recent change in state law requires that all loads be covered on the open road, and now I'm really wishing I'd gone ahead and gotten the bows and cover for ours. I really hate stringing a tarp over the back when I have to haul anything out on the road. So we'll be getting a bows and cover set pretty soon.

I will say that if you can find an M925, the winch will become your best friend. Eventually we'll put a winch on ours. There are days when I really miss that functionality.

And if you want to haul greater bulkier loads, that longer 20-foot bed on the M927 would be really handy. It's too long for our uses, but I can totally see the advantages of it in certain situations. Something else to think about.

Daytodog

IsaLandr thanks so much. Glad they work good for you and for sharing your experience you have had owning them.
Mtnsnow your suggestion to Google the mwo number was perfect. Found everyone of them.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having owned (owning) both the A0 and A2 model trucks, I will say the A0 / A1 with the NA 855 has low end grunt like no other, the A2s with the 8.3 are much more responsive once moving (turn up the fuel--huge difference!!) My old A0 is pulling 90K log loads out of the haul road now, it gets a little winded, but its managing without so much as a wimper. Only victim has been the old rubber in the dogbones. After three breaks he replaced them all. No problem since. Moral: If its going to pull heavy, replace them now. Other than that, you will LOVE these trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks