• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yukon Men Show and CUCV

I mentioned that I would post when the Yukon Men (Alaska Reality show) show would be airing the episodes that a CUCV would be shown. Never know just what will be shown even though I'm on show but should have on the buying, fixing up and using of a CUCV to do a couple of heavy duty things. So CUCV owners may get a kick out of seeing their truck (or similar model) on nationwide TV. Will air tonight at 8/9 pm on Discovery channel. It will be the 4th episode of the season of 8 episodes. Stan

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Love the show! Who owns the M923 5-tons and the OD Green bulldozers? Does the township own them, or do they belong to private owners?

Keep up the great work, and stay safe!

reaper556

Figures it would be the day I get my satellite cut off because there is never anything worth watching.
Don't feel bad, I got excited when I read his post about the show then I realized I cut the cable off. I did it for the same reason and the cost associated with it

GunnyM1009

Don't feel bad, I got excited when I read his post about the show then I realized I cut the cable off. I did it for the same reason and the cost associated with it
Yeah $80 a month and I watched maybe 4 channels unless it is football season. Which we have game parties at friends houses so no loss there either.

Love the show! Who owns the M923 5-tons and the OD Green bulldozers? Does the township own them, or do they belong to private owners?

Keep up the great work, and stay safe!
The military equipment belongs to the City of Tanana and some owned by the Tanana Tribal Council. They get priority at bidding from the government and that is where my truck came from originally but no one could get it going so they put it up for local bid. It took some fixing as people tried to change the 12 volt system to 12 volt if you know what I mean and really messed things up. Stan

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The military equipment belongs to the City of Tanana and some owned by the Tanana Tribal Council. They get priority at bidding from the government and that is where my truck came from originally but no one could get it going so they put it up for local bid. It took some fixing as people tried to change the 12 volt system to 12 volt if you know what I mean and really messed things up. Stan
Thanks! You're in the right place for help with your CUCV, the members here have a tremendous amount of knowledge.

rustystud

Hey Stan, what's the deal about a road going through town ? I see a lot of people don't want it. What's your opinion. I think it would be a great benefit to the whole community especially in winter. Supplies would be much easier to bring in, and we could drive up there with our military trucks and visit ! That's it ! You don't want us visiting !

Rustystud
The reason many ( about 50%) do not want the road is because trapping and fishing and hunting spots will get increased pressure on them. Fall moose hunting wherever there are roads is pretty incredible to see. Trucks all along the roads and ATV's getting offloaded etc etc. It will be cheaper to get fuel in and food also and trucks and snowmachines too. While I don't support the road I stay out of the community decision one way or the other. I figure it's up to the young people in town as they will be the ones around in the future. It will still be a long hard gravel road to the Yukon and only in winter will an ice road actually make it possible to drive right into Tanana as the land road ends 6 miles upriver on the other side of the Yukon River from the village. Stan

rustystud

Rustystud
The reason many ( about 50%) do not want the road is because trapping and fishing and hunting spots will get increased pressure on them. Fall moose hunting wherever there are roads is pretty incredible to see. Trucks all along the roads and ATV's getting offloaded etc etc. It will be cheaper to get fuel in and food also and trucks and snowmachines too. While I don't support the road I stay out of the community decision one way or the other. I figure it's up to the young people in town as they will be the ones around in the future. It will still be a long hard gravel road to the Yukon and only in winter will an ice road actually make it possible to drive right into Tanana as the land road ends 6 miles upriver on the other side of the Yukon River from the village. Stan
I tried to watch the show last night but according to our scheduler it will not air until 4-7-2016. I also understand your situation about the road. I live in a area that is built up pretty heavily except where I live due to the fact the road dead-ends just past my land. Many neighbors have wanted to open this road up to the next county, but I know as soon as that happens our nice quite gravel road will quickly turn into a 45mph 60ft wide road ! We are sandwiched between 3 developments. The one in the next county wants our access to the major roads real bad. I'm on 5 acres and if this ever happens my taxes will sky-rocket and the traffic will become unbearable. I've always lived by the principle my favorite uncle used to say. "If the neighbors are close enough to be annoyed if you piss off your front porch then your too close to your neighbors !" .

JUNKYARDJOHN

Hi Stan -- I'm not normally a big fan of most reality shows, but your show is completely different. I find myself relating to most everything that goes on up there, & you & I are about the same age so I especially relate to you. I've learned quite a few things just by observation. (for instance skinning crittters with a sharpened piece of plastic so as not to puncture it) People are great & I really enjoy talking to like minded people but like to be able to walk away when I'm ready to. I live in the mountains with just my two hounds on 30 acres of woods & all of my life, it seems like civilization enchroaches after about 12 or 15 years.The trouble is that people seem to want to make it like wherever they came from, & forget why they moved out in the boonies in the first place. Keep up the great job that everyone up there seems to be doing. A fan and observer :beer:John

I am sorry for a kind of false alarm on the CUCV truck being in Friday night show. We never get to see the show beforehand and I thought the last episode it would start to be in. Sounds like it will start in next Fridays one though from the previews someone saw. I actually missed the last episode as the scheduled time is not always right and so never saw it. It was not an April Fools joke. Stan

Very cool [thumbzup] looks like you got the springs changed out? it looks like it sits proud in the front again
Actually springs have not been changed out. From pictures of good springs and info on this forum I am sure mine are weak and the plan is to absolutely switch them. Got a lot of things on my plate right now but the truck is fun to work on and would like to get to it. Right now my glow plugs are all burnt out. They only lasted a year as when I first installed them (all were burnt out when I got truck) I also put a glow plug controller card bypass switch in. It was one of these (never heard of it before) that was off when pushed on and on when button released. Anyway the plugs (AC 60 Delco)were probably on and heating for 30 minutes and surprisingly not burnt out when I finally figured out what I had done. Worked good all winter but figure the shorter life was because of their poor care when first installed. If there is a way to, I can screw up anything. Since have gotten a good glow plug card and all like original now. Thanks, Stan

JUNKYARDJOHN

Stan... oh my gawd.. I have never laughed out loud so hard at any T.V. show in recent memory. Don't take this the wrong way & I realize you're new around here, but most of this crowd is.... well I guess you'd call them purists (that's no doubt why no one has posted to this post). You know how corvette , or 69 chevelle people are about restorations where everything has to be just exzactly like it came from the factory, right down to the chalk marks on the fire wall & the valve stem caps on the tires?? To them it's total sacrelidge to do any modifications or changes that are not 100% the way those green fellers made them. Lets see... it's akin to stomping on the flag.. or bbq ing a bald eagle.:tank: A lot of members have come right out & said they think they are pieces of rolling history & a tribute to all of the brave souls who defended this country. I'm laughing so hard that my eyes are tearing up & I can hardly see the keys to type:naner:. Why I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's not a convoy of duece & halfs, full of pissed off purists headed towords Tanana right now. Theres probably wanted posters with Stan Zurays picture on them, posted on every other telephone pole halfway thru Canada, heading towords Alaska as we speak (well.. maybe not halfway, as those deuces are pretty darn slow). if we weren't so far away.. I'd set you down & buy you about 11 beers . :beer: I guess you can tell that I'm not one of the purists. I worked at flint assembly in 1983 - 84 - 85 6 & 7 & saw quite a few go down the assy. line. I almost peed myself when I saw you take that sawzall to that truck. Unfortunately I got called away to cut up a deer that one of my neighbors hit about 35 minutes into the show, & didn't see the ending, but my satalite network repeats an awful lot. (so I'll see it) Keep up the good work, & this was definitely the most entertaining episode yet. A HUUUGE fan. John

Last edited:

reaper556

Stan... oh my gawd.. I have never laughed out loud at any T.V. show in recent memory. Don't take this the wrong way & I realize you're new around here, but most of this crowd is.... well I guess you'd call them purists (that's no doubt why no one has posted to this post). You know how corvette , or 69 chevelle people are about restorations where everything has to be just exzactly like it came from the factory, right down to the chalk marks on the fire wall & the valve stem caps on the tires?? To them it's total sacrelidge to do any modifications or changes that are not 100% the way those green fellers made them. Lets see... it's akin to stomping on the flag.. or bbq ing a bald eagle.:tank: A lot of members have come right out & said they think they are pieces of rolling history & a tribute to all of the brave souls who defended this country. I'm laughing so hard that my eyes are tearing up & I can hardly see the keys to type:naner:. Why I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's not a convoy of duece & halfs, full of pissed off purists headed towords Tanana right now. Theres probably wanted posters with Stan Zurays picture on them, posted on every other telephone pole halfway thru Canada, heading towords Alaska as we speak (well.. maybe not halfway, as those deuces are pretty darn slow). if we weren't so far away.. I'd set you down & buy you about 11 beers . :beer: I guess you can tell that I'm not one of the purists. I worked at flint assembly in 1983 - 84 - 85 6 & 7 & saw quite a few go down the assy. line
Care to enlighten me?, I don't have cable :whistle: