• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Zeisshensoldt's road trip

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Seems he is driving a deuce from NY to FL. He called me with an RPM issue. He said initially, he could run 2400 rpm, now the truck is struggling to hit 2000rpm. I had him check for brake drag and he didn't find any hot hubs. I figure its probably the fuel filters. I tell him how to check to see if the in tank pump is running before he swaps filters. He says it isn't working. I told him how to change the fuse and what type/size to use. He is soldiering on, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. He is going to find a fuse first, to get the pump working. If it starts working and it doesn't help his RPMs increase, wouldn't you think filters?

Anyone got any other ideas?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought he was from Maine. Isn't he going to Maine?

I have one truck that is a dog and slow(top speed) without a working in-tank pump.

If the air-pack was causing drag(due to air pressure buildup), I have "cracked" the drivers side glad hand valve, to eliminate the pressure build up in an emergency situation.

Changing filters is a great idea, if his in-tank pump is functioning. Without it, it might be a problem.

Katahdin

I talked to him on the phone 20 minutes ago, he was at the NJ/PA border rest stop off I-78.

I can confirm he said he's heading to Florida, not Maine.

I also said filters, he also said he had a steady leak of some sort but couldn't identify where it was coming from or what it was. I'm thinking fuel leak.

DonaldB

On my M35A2 recovery from Wis. to NY I had a simular problem and it looked like a drip from the IP. After a half a day of driving the fuel was squirting out of the IP! I could not get the truck to go fast.

Katahdin

Got a text from him. He's stopping at a hotel in Harrisburg, PA tonight and is requesting if someone can meet up with him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get some of the leaked fluid on a paper towel and put a match to it; see if it burns. That will tell whether it is fuel, oil or coolant.

Katahdin

Zeisshensoldt is at the Allentown, PA Hampton Inn, can someone local assist him to show him how to change the fuel filters?

edit: PM to Shenkmen sent

Last edited by a moderator:

shenkmen

Just spoke to him.

He mentioned that the tank has an issue taking fuel. It fills up / overflows and then the level goes down.

I'm guessing there's a bunch of crud in the tank. Thoughts?

He's headed out to the truck with a flashlight to take a peek.