• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Zenith Carb Adjustments

jmoylan69

ok guys, i've looked through all my TM's and i need help. im trying to find the specs and data or a pdf of something for my 1952 OA-331 gasser carb. The books i do have talk about adjusting if it needs it but does not give any specs for the adjustment.

If anyone has this and can pass it forward i'd be indebted!!

and im looking for information like the fuel system ALSO. reason is i've got a carb that fuel is starting to bubble or burble out of the sides etc. like its getting to much fuel. im wondering if I've got a bad return line system or something.

any information would be great

rcflyer70

73M819 is correct - I had a similiar issue 18+ years ago when I bought my 1953 Studebaker (gasser). Take the time and rebuild the carb - I was able to get the carb kit locally. As for adjusting, I don't remember ever seeing a detailed description on how to adjust these carbs. I will look through my manuals - will forward anything useful.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
does not have a RETURN ,idle is one full turn all the way in to start with, after warms up, adjust till it smooths out, total turns should be between 1 to 1 1/2 turns

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could have a chunk of rust or crud holding the needle valve from closing . Allowing the float bowl to overfill .

JDToumanian

does not have a RETURN
My OA-331 powered V-18A/MTQ has a fuel return line, and it is shown that way in the manual. The bypass valve and return line is above the primer handle on the fuel pump on the side of the engine, below the distributor. I don't really know what would happen if that line got clogged, but it would be easy enough to check. I do agree it sounds more like the float valve not sealing. These carburetors are very easy to rebuild.

I just noticed the title says Zenith carb... I thought they all used the Holley 885/FF(G). Your carb may not be original.

Jon

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I gave the zenith idle, my truck motors #10 gives the specs. for these old carbs

JDToumanian

I have all the manuals for the old gassers. For general maintenance of the whole truck you need TM 9-8022, and it has tune-up info in it. The engine overhaul manual is TM 9-8023-1, there are copies of that on eBay right now. Both of those manuals only mention the Holley carb, for the Zenith carb only, the manual is TM 9-1826C... I just looked, it does cover the 28 series Zenith carbs.

Unfortunately I've never seen any of the good gasser manuals in electronic format, you gotta buy the books.

Jon