• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ziggy's M915A1 recovery

oilcan

Ole' Ziggy got himself a pretty decent road tractor, but couldn't get his schedule to jive with the good folks at wright pat. I was happy to help!

My first plan was to go by myself and flat tow the 1009 behind the 915, but that can be a pain in the neck. Then I found out my cousin wasn't busy and away we went.

Everything was going fine until we hit columbus. Some dude's car was being searched by the fuzz and everyone had to stop in both lanes to see what was going on. We kept the speed around 55 mph, sometimes getting up to 60 from inattention to the speedo. I'm sure it'll do more, but it ain't my truck!

Some pics...

Attachments

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice! Complete with dual air conditioning, a muffler strap and a little kid!

Last edited:

oilcan

Yeah, the strap... When the stacks were pulled off these trucks, the u-bolt nuts were apparently cast into the abyss. And I didn't think to bring hardware with me, but I had plenty of ratchet straps. They're the duct tape of the new millennium!

I wasn't gonna take the kid when they offered him with the truck, but he turned out to be a good little go-fer. ;-) (He's my cousin's boy)

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wasn't gonna take the kid when they offered him with the truck, but he turned out to be a good little go-fer. ;-) (He's my cousin's boy)
Seems like the best way to get someone hooked is to take them on a recovery. Never to young to start collecting.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Crane Carrier Corporation. They originally designed the truck, and AM General built it. Nice to give credit for a classic, beautiful design . . .

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad the recovery went well, nice truck.

I'm glad to see the kid on board, stuff like that is really important and makes a life-long impression on them. I remember my dad taking me to the docks in Dublin when I was about 6 to see the new army trucks being delivered (Unimogs and some Bedford RLs). For me, that started a love affair with MVs that lasts to the present.

I raised a few eyebrows some years back when I showed up to events for our local MVPA club with my kids, but they behaved well so everyone else started bringing their kids too. Thats the future of our hobby, and you can't make up for investing quality time with your kids.

Cheers

Last edited:

oilcan

Thanks for the comments, guys. Little Cooper has "driven" most of my trucks over countless imaginary miles of highways and trails, and he begs for a ride in one (or more) of them every time he comes to the house. The kid's a good egg.

The 915 has/had a few issues that need to be dealt with before ziggy can take it home. I got the headlights working yesterday, but at least one of the taillight housings still needs replaced. The stack has shed it's ratchet strap now that the u- bolts are firmly in place.The tube on the filter minder is broken, and when the 4-way flashers are running, the fronts wig-wag. I haven't quite figured that last one out yet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks