• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Zinc removed from oil?

JeremyB

I was reading about lifter and bearings failing more frequently due to the removal of Zinc and other adatives. This was only after one of my lifters and cam lobe was destroyed in my 460. It has been stated that the issue with the oil arose from effects on the catalitic converter on new vehicles.

SO, I was wondering if this might be something to ponder with these older engines and not being up to the newer vehicles specks?

bassetdeuce

I wouldn't worry about it. Apparently, the zinc is still there in the new CJ 15w40 oils, just in lesser amounts. I think I recall that new Delo has 1300ppm+ Old Delo CI stuff had 1500ppm+. New Rotella T 15w40 has somewhat less.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can do what I do.

I buy Zink pills in the vitamin section of the drugstore. I put 2 in the oil with every oil change!

A healthy engine is a happy engine. fat lady sings

btw, a little Beano helps with excessive blow-by also!

Last edited:

jwaller

to my knowledge rotella still has zinc. it's what we use to break in all freshly rebuilt flat tappet engines.

there are several companies making break in oil now just for this purpose.

Kohburn

they all have it - some just have more. try searching for zddp - it is the zinc addative. there is a lot of info on the net but basicly amsoil and rotella have two of the highest zonc contents available. it gets used up over time, between zinc loss and dilusion by contaminants from blowby you get the most important reasons for changing oil regularly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks