• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Zipper axle boot reviews

greenmonster

I have a torn axle boot and was looking at eastern surplus and they have some zipper ones. I am assuming the zipper is so that you don't have to pull the whole spindle to replace them. Has anyone used them are they any good?

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use a lot of them from other suppliers and they are all junk. In each truck I have to replace them every 3-4 months. They dry rot very quickly, but at least they are easy to replace. I have never used the silicon non zipper style because I have read others have the same problems with them too.

greenmonster

Do you go through much sand? I was thinking of greasing the zipper heavily we over grease fittings so that the sand sticks to the extra grease and not the joint. I was thinking of that instead of the silicone. Also I have heard the dry rot thing a lot has anyone tried 303 spray. I use it on dry suit neck gaskets, it really helps keep rubber from deteriorating. I was thinking of the zippers and spraying some protect-ant on them.

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I live in the desert, so I drive through and live in sand everyday. Also we have dust storms on a regular basis and in summer the temp is over 100 on a regular basis. I know this is a reason for the failing.

DeucesWild11

I have replaced a boot on my truck with a new zipper boot. Not to bad here in the NE, so far so good. Use some RTV or silicone sealant on the zipper before you put the outer clamp on and that will seal up the boot so that it doesn't get any dust or dirt inside.

However mine's a deuce, not sure if there is any difference with a 5 ton.

BEASTMASTER

yeh, i replaced both of mine about 5 yrs ago. the trick is to start with a real clean area, get all the grease off and keep it off. and make sure you install the inner ring in the right spot and bend the screw slightly like it says in the manual. use alot of PATIENCE and u can be done in a couple hours. good luuck.