• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Zombie attack at the Flying F

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, not real zombies but movie zombies.

SS members Sarge, Jeff L and I own adjoining properties in the boonies outside Austin, and we refer to said place collectively as "The Flying F". Because of the buildings and general appearance of the place, and the vehicles we own, a couple of indie movies have been partially filmed there, the most recent being last week.

We supplied the MVs, provided the Military Advisor thing, did a couple of roadblock scenes for them, and had some minor speaking parts as military types.
At the producer's request I'll have to be cryptic and share no details until the movie debuts, but here are a few pictures.

For those who haven't participated in the movie making process, it can be a lot of fun. The one we did with Paramount paid a whole lot better than indies do though! (For the current movie we were paid one case of Cokes).

The .50 is an aluminium replica, but quite convincing, and much lighter than the real thing. Despite that, the cobbled up pintle mount on Jeff's FAV (courtesy of previous owner) gave up part way through shooting, that is why it is tilted off to the side. One of his headlight mounts failed too.
The pintle was scheduled to be replaced with a better mount anyway, this just encourages the work to get done sooner rather than later.

The school bus in the picture is a 'star' already. Sarge and I bought several that were used in Friday Night Lights when they were auctioned off.

Cheers

Pic 1- Jeff's FAV
Pic 2- Sarge's Goat
Pic 3- Sarge's M151A2
Pic 4 - My Mog
Pic 5 - My M813
Pics 6 & 7 - Base camp and adjacent roadblock
Pic 8 - Warning to zombies next to Sarge's M1003

Note- All pictures are copyright and may not be used for anything without express permission. All the usual dire threats associated with that apply.

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One roadblock is set up next to a big dusty hole in the ground that used to be my pond :)cry:). It has been a hot, dry summer.

Jeff seems to have something about cameras being pointed at him.

Pic 1 - Roadblock at Zombie Hill
Pic 2 - Roadblock from the non-zombie side
Pic 3 - Sarge in a typically bad mood
Pic 4 - Jeff intimidating the cameraman
Pic 5 - And again!
Pic 6 - Weird people on a FAV
Pic 7 - Jeff, Russel the still photographer, me, The Director, Sarge (you can see why he is called Big John)

Note- All pictures are copyright and may not be used for anything without express permission. All the usual dire threats associated with that apply.

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
more pics? where......in zombie land!!
Patience lad!! :razz:

Actually, since I am on dinosaur dialup (yeah, I know, i know...), I have to "block out" the second window with something short to keep the first two posts together, then go back and add the text and pictures.

Cheers

jeep-Jeep

m813rc was this the guy wanting a jeep for a after 3rd world war period
I talked to him and he did not want a nice rather a beat up jeep or to beat up mine with no compensation .
I offered him some deuces but got no return call .:?:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope, different folks altogether. Never heard back from that twit.

These guys were pleasantly professional.

Cheers

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Cool beans on the movie parts for you and your green iron.

Since I let an independent film producer use me, my son and a deuce in his movie ("Dixie Times", currently in final production) I have registered with the Georgia and Alabama Film Commissions.
It turns out that quite a few film producers are leaving california for locations that are more cost effective for producing movies (imagine that).
I have had one call from a producer that is scouting for a location and "military vehicles and extras".
Just one more way to make the hobby pay for it's self.

Carl_in_NH

(For the current movie we were paid one case of Cokes).
Couldn't you get them to spring for Rudy's BBQ? I'm not starting any vehicle for anything less than a pound of that extra lean brisket. Or maybe the smoked turkey. Nah - I'm holding out for the brisket.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Couldn't you get them to spring for Rudy's BBQ? I'm not starting any vehicle for anything less than a pound of that extra lean brisket. Or maybe the smoked turkey. Nah - I'm holding out for the brisket.
You know Carl we can export Rudy's for the right price. I'm currently looking for a starter relay for a MEP003A that I would gladly overnight a pound of brisket (maybe even some cream corn) for.

And M813rc I better get a call ahead of time for filming. I'd hate for something bad to happen to your new 109.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rudy's brisket and turkey... mmmmmm......! :drool::drool::drool::drool:

The last movie was paid in food, drinks and empty promises.
Maybe for the current one we will insist on a Rudy's premium for the pick up shots we are due to film next week..:twisted:

Cheers

Carl_in_NH

You know Carl we can export Rudy's for the right price. I'm currently looking for a starter relay for a MEP003A that I would gladly overnight a pound of brisket (maybe even some cream corn) for.
I don't know about the creamed-corn - but maybe some of those new potatoes in the heart-attack sauce**. That, and a box of Round Rock doughnuts. I'll keep an eye out for that starter relay.

** For those people that heve never been to Rudy's, they serve the potatoes in melted butter - and not just some on top - but swimming in it. Your life grows shorter every time you go there - but it's worth it.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And M813rc I better get a call ahead of time for filming. I'd hate for something bad to happen to your new 109.
Mark, I promise to call you earlier for the next one! Pleeeease don't make my poor M109 suffer for my failings!!

Cheers

Pawnshop

You can have all the extra lean brisket... Rudy's does smoke a good turkey, and they make some mean pecan pie! Chasin zombies for turkey, pecan pie and sweet tea sounds like paradise:)

tamangel

was this movie filmed around there..or is it the one you are talking about?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-cIjPOJdFM[/media]

Mike

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We did the pickup scenes, which entailed reshooting half the movie! Here are some selected photos.

Cheers.

Pic 1- Before the action starts. Mkcoen, JeffL and my son Paddy
Pic 2- Sarge demonstrates his zombie technique
Pic 3- Soldier Paddy tries to help the mom and baby (stunt baby)
Pic 4- And gets eaten by zombies for his troubles...
Pic 5- Panda, Cait, Paddy and un-named zombie attack Reloader64 and Pawnshop
Pic 6- The family that preys together.. My son, GF, and daughter...
Pic 7- The soldiers post attack- JeffL, my son Davey, me, Sarge, Pawnshop, and Reloader64
Pic 8- Sarge wondering what just happened, Panda considers having some Sarge neck
Pic 9- Zombie calendar shoot- JeffL, Kat, and me

Attachments

Last edited: