• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Zwick Type Air Compressor Motor Change?

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one of the Military wheel barrow type air compressors. The Standard Military Engine on it has to go! I picked up a 5.5HP Honda on Craig s List for $50, now I just need to rig up a mount for the motor. Has any one done this? Right now the compressor is such a drag on the motor it can't get up enough revolutions to start, the compressor stroke is really stiff! I have a cement mixer that has the motor on a pivot plate that uses the weight of the motor to place tension on the belts to drive the mixer tub, but gives it enough of a break for the engine to start running before all the tension is applied by the belt to the drive pulley.DSCN0289.jpgDSCN0288.jpg

Ray70

So in it's current state is it simply the inertia of the pump itself preventing the motor from starting properly or is there an issue with the unloader that is causing it to have compression in the head when it shouldn't? I'm not at all familiar with this pump but I do own a newer gas powered construction compressor so I am familiar with how newer units are designed to work. Having some type of "belt Slip" mechanism shouldn't be necessary if the unit has some kind of functioning unloader valve, either manual or automatic. If its trying to pump air right from the get-go, maybe a simple ball valve that allows you to dump all the compression until the motor is running might be all you need.... once a healthy motor is attached!

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will check, the unit was easy to start at one time, maybe something is stuck, I will have a look. The small valve at the top of the cylinder, in the first photo? I am still going to add the Honda engine, the military ones are just to unpredictable, at least from my experience. Thanks for the info.

DSCN0295.jpgDSCN0294.jpgDSCN0292.jpgDSCN0291.jpg

rustystud

I will check, the unit was easy to start at one time, maybe something is stuck, I will have a look. The small valve at the top of the cylinder, in the first photo? I am still going to add the Honda engine, the military ones are just to unpredictable, at least from my experience. Thanks for the info.

View attachment 522572View attachment 522573View attachment 522574View attachment 522575
Yes that is a pressure relief valve. Try and push-in that small button on the end.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pulled the valve on top of the high pressure side of the compressor, that valve is to release overpressure in the cylinder. The button the end of the valve presses down on the ball valve not to release but to I guess reset the ball after it is tripped?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks