• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IP problem with my new Deuce...need advice

acesneights1

Ok, I DID read alot up on these pump here in other threads. What I can't find is what the previous owner was talking about.
It sat for 6 months(according to PO). It would not start. He played around with the shutoff and said it was stuck. He said it started up but was racing. He said he took the shutoff apart to clean it up and "The sleeve" was cracked. He advised me not to start it until I fix it. He also said he wasn't sure he put it back together right. I took it aopart(see pics) and can find no broken/cracked parts ?? I am tempted to put it back together and fire it up. The rod that stays in the pump that attaches to the swing lever seems to have nothing holding it to the lever ?? Should it have a c clip ??
Should I try firing it up ?
I checked the engine oil, level was a little high but did not smell of diesel. Looked like normal diesel oil. No coolant etc..

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There should be a clip on the rod lever

Here is an old picture but it will give you an idea

IP Timing.gif

I cant tell from the first picture, Is there a small pin with a flat end insert in the hole in the lever?

Gimp1.jpg

Last edited:

acesneights1

Ok I see I was missing the clevis. I put a C clip on it for now as I have no idea where to get a clevis but if you look at the cover, It seems like maybe something is missing in there ? I don't see how that actuates the shutdown lever ??

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cover looks complete. When installing the rod where you able to make sure the tip was seated in the groove of the plunger sleeve? If not the engine will not run correctly. When I did my first IP I had to reinstll the rod a couple of times before I got it right

Hydrolic Head 1.gif

As a precaution, remove the intake mushroom and have a flat board handy to shutoff the airflow if needed.

Last edited:

acesneights1

You mean that little t pin ? Yes I made sure it went in easy and I had to wiggle it a little till it lined up. I did not force it as pe some threads I read.
I'm ready to fire this beast up. I still have no idea what he meant by "The sleeve is cracked" I tried to reach him again but have not been able to. I wanna fire it up...:)

acesneights1

Also any reason I can't start it without the retaining screws safety wired ? I just wanna make sure it runs and won't requie another dis-assembly. Then I'll pop the cover off and wire the screws up. I have to get some wire. I don't have any.

acesneights1

Ok got the c clip on(may not show in pic)
Is the mechanism in the cover complete or is something missing ?
It looks right...pray for me, I'm gonna fire it up. Yeah runaway is no fun. Have experinced that a few times over the years with old 2 stroke Detroit's.

welldigger

You can crank it without the safety wire on the 2 screws that hold the bridge piece in. Did you replace the o ring that goes around the fuel control rod?

acesneights1

Well..It did not go well.
First my advice to others...Buying a cheap non running truck...never works out to be cheap. If you can't hear it run, it's worth no more than what you could scrap it for. That sid The PO lied to me and did not tell em the clutch was smoked as well,
So you guessed it...It ran away and I was powerless to save it. I think it hangrenaded. Hard to tell. There is oil everywhere.
I had the steel plate ready to choke it and it did choke it to a high idloe and ALOT of black smoke but whe I tried to put it in gear to stall it, nothing. I frantically diconnected the wired to the Lift pump . I tried vise gripping the fuel line out of the filter and it built up so much pressure it blew the canister gasket on the filter cup. I disconnected the fuel line at the tank and there was nothinbg left to do but watch it self destruct. I am sick to my stomach. I have dealt with runaway Detroits before and was always able to bring them down by choking and stalling but not knowing the clutch was completley smoked I had no way to stall it. I am not sure how much damage is done but at this point I would not spend money on an injection pump. The motor was kockjing badly but hard to tell if that was from wide open fuel and no air . It does crank over. Most of the oil is around the turbo. I don't see any holes in the block. Maybe it sucked the seals out of the turbo ?
The oil is still almost full in the motor. I am not sure why it finally died on it's own. It ran for almost 5 mins though before finally dying so I think it must have been running of the engine oil as I doubt the filters would hold enough fuel to run it that long. Basically at this point I have to see how I can cut my losses so stay tuned. I may just cut the truck up for parts. I really have to think about it.
I am not happy.

Attachments

welldigger

It was probably pulling oil through the turbo seals. Which, not to get your hopes too high, might explain the oil everywhere.

acesneights1

Pull the exhaust flex pipe off of the turbo and see if there is oil inside there.
I'm in for the night. I'll try that tommorow and report back but yes, that looks like where most of the oil came from. Also alot at the turbo mating flange to the intake manifold.

acesneights1

Stupid question but ow can I check to make sure the transfer case is not in neutral ?
The lever is all the way down forward.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks