• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought a CUCV M1010 !

Drunkle Scuzzy

On Sunday I will be looking at a 1984 M1010 with 12,000 original miles, garaged most of its life post military. He says it drives and runs great, well enough to drive it the 400 miles to my home from his. It has no rust, new batteries, has been regeared with 3.73 gears (possibly no Detroit Locker unfortunately), has good tires, a block and transmission heater, Glow Plugs are activated with an aftermarket push button, still has working blackout lights. Need shocks and the dash lights and fuel gauge are out. He thinks there is a bad ground in the dash contributing to these last two items. He is asking $3,750 obo. The ambulance unit has been completely stripped, it is essentially a 4x4 box truck at this point, which is rad.

It was used previously by a Sheriffs Search and Rescue Dive Unit. Looks like the county's lead mechanic bought it from the county with dreams of making a camper, a couple years later he hasn't and so wants to see someone else use it for this. I think it would make a good platform for a simple camper build, where everything in the back with the exception of storage cabinets, stove, and fridge would be fabricated out of aluminum and fold to the side out of the way, so I could load the box with cargo still. i am doing a big remodel so a box truck would be a great help right now, and I would like to drive it around the US with my fiance for our honeymoon in about a year and a half. I don't plan on modifying the cab or chassis much; insulating the cab for noise and heat, adding a power equalizer in place of the duvac unit(if still installed), and upgrading to BFG KM2 255/85/R16E tires would be a couple of changes, (if the tires fit?).

Any thoughts? I am very excited for this truck, been too long since I drove something with solid a front axle. My work truck is a '99 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with a box on the back (surprisingly tough). An M1010 would be the heaviest duty 4x4 Ive ever owned. I used to have a 5 ton 2wd GMC (Gas engine Isuzu NPR style) dump truck. Off road I've never had anything bigger than a 1983 toyota Landcruiser fj60, which i put a 6.2liter diesel with an NV4500 and a banks turbo into. (Should have never sold it, new owner totalled it. Twice!)

Attachments

Skinny

Looks like a good score!

Since you want to travel on the road long distances, the gears will really help. Who cares if it doesn't have a Detroit, that is a fairly inexpensive and easy install to correct if they removed it. Much easier than regearing. Make sure it does have the original running gear 14 bolt and Dana 60 axles.

Price seems fair if the condition is accurate...go for it!!!

I also dig the fact that you used the word 'rad' to describe it :)

Madmedic

I agree with Skinny. Nice score.

With any CUCV, closely check the fuel system. Have the sleeve inside the fuel tank replaced, they can get sludgy from the diesel setting for too long. The original heater in the patient compartment ran off of fuel pulled from the fuel line. Since it sounds like the heater was removed, make sure the fuel lines were properly secured/replaced.

I would think strongly about beefing up the suspension system, and shocks. + a front end alignment.

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the site, hobby, and freindships, It is sunday night here.. Hopefully the truck is now sitting on your driveway, or in your garage/workshop. Get us up to date with the purchase and drive home, if completed.

Drunkle Scuzzy

Unfortunately next Sunday is D Day, so I have to wait another week! I am really looking forward to it. Thanks for the warm welcome, and the reassurance this is a good idea. The old lady and I are very excited! I'll be bringing my camera, so I'll post some photos of the truck as we drive back down the northern California coastline (taking Hwy 1 / 101 back). Gonna camp somewhere on the coast on the way home.

Last edited:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tell him you consulted with the guys on the Steel Soldiers forum and they suggested $3,000 for it. I mean, hey, I said it, so you just need one more person to say it and it's a "they". :D

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both of the the 100amp military alternators are gone so that's a deduction (yes it appears to be 12v now), they cut a hole in the roof of the box so that's a deduction, it doesn't have the military paint scheme any more so that's a deduction. Yep I'd say $3k is good. There you have "they said so."

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
this truck appears to have had the arctic heater kit installed, heated battery boxes and mount for the fuel fired heater on driver's side inner fender , check to see if it still has the arctic oil pans, does it still have the intake hole in the driver's fender or has the fender been replaced?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks