• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought a CUCV M1010 !

Drunkle Scuzzy

Made it to Crescent City from Medford before developing a minor fuel leak and we need a thermostat. Not bad for such an old rig. Named it the Rogue Sea Witch!

Last edited:

Al Harvey

I'm not sure if you affected me Drunkle or not, but I just picked up a M1010 today. LOL See this is a very infectious disease that spreads rapidly!

Drunkle Scuzzy

Before I drive it again I need to Flush the radiator and replace the hoses, even after replacing the thermostat I had to run with the heat full blast, and pull over every 50 miles and add about a gallon to one and a half gallons of water to the radiator. Waiting for it to cool off every hour really slows ya down. Maybe I could have removed the thermostat, but i decided to chance topping it off religiously and enjoying the views. Even got some 4 low in on my friends property in the mountains to sleep around 2am after driving a good portion of the day. It is on the Salmon River and his driveway is a narrow, steep dirt track that winds all up and down all over... the low range felt great even with the 3.73 gearing but I could see that for anything serious I would need lower gearing. Everything else ran great after the fuel leak was fixed. I have a list of things to do before we drive around the country, including new brake calipers, flush brake lines, flush power steering, flush differentials, lubricate the chassis and drivetrain xerc fittings, pack bearings, new shocks and steering stabilizer, replace cooling system hoses and flush, correct speedometer, and replace the missing pull out step ladder from the back. It starts and runs much better than any 31 year old truck i have ever driven, even with bad shocks. It has definitely spent most of its life sitting in a garage, for better or for worse. Paint is immaculate, and cab and frame are completely rust free.

Here are some photos from the drive. I took a few more on my phone and posted them here

https://instagram.com/scizors/

First one here is of Katrina and the truck at the spot where we noticed the fuel leak.
Second one is as we went from low range to 2wd on the bank of the Salmon River. We drove down the US199 from Grants pass to Crescent City, where we had the fuel leak repaired before continuing down the coastline slowly topping off the radiator, and then through the redwoods home over the Golden Gate bridge off Hwys US101/1. Truck was great on the freeway, and floorboards seem to have been insulated as its much quieter than i expected.

Attachments

Last edited:

Drunkle Scuzzy

The first photo is of the new screw on can style fuel filter and housing. The housing was off of a junkyard civilian truck with a new filter. Very glad to get that out of the way quickly. The housing mounted to the firewall of the stock fuel filter was dumping fuel onto the manifold out out of a crack after only 100 miles of our 500 mile trip. The 3rd photo is the windshield wiper motor and the disconnected capacitors that were robbing its power. I need to clean up the connections more, on the rest of the vehicle too. Image five shows where the arctic heater kit is on the outside fender. #6 the a/c compressor needs a new clutch. I am thinking of trying to mount a york compressor and put a tank next to it where the arctic heater mounts are in photo 4 for onboard air. I need to find the nuts for the battery tray hold downs. I think before I drive it around the US I will replace all the battery cables and clean everything up, and coat it all with a little dielectric grease.

Attachments

Last edited:

Drunkle Scuzzy

Sorry, I can't figure out how to rotate the images, some are sideways. You can see how filthy the radiator is in thie first shot. I'm going to flush it and change hoses soon, then most likely replace it before our cross country road trip. photo 2 is the single alternator, I haven't confirmed it but the previous owner says it is 240amp 12volt. in the 3rd shot is the battery cable bar. There is a little metal tag on top of the manifold, I think it is, in the 4th photo. Photo 5 shows the missing boarding ladder. 7 and 8 are of either side of the electrical kill swith, which is operated from the outside of the fender with a small key.

Attachments

Last edited:

Drunkle Scuzzy

Thie first shot is of a steel mounting plate for a cb radio (makes it a little trickier getting to the transfer case shifter but seems to not be in the way too much) with 3 cigarette lighter style charging plugs that are disconnected at the moment. The glow plugs are wired to the push botton in the dash in the 3rd photo. As you can see in the last three photos, my entire block loves this series chevy truck.

Attachments

Last edited:

Skinny

I'm glad you picked this up, seems like you are enjoying the new ride!

You can use your existing A/C compressor for onboard air if you fix the clutch. You just need an inline oiler and dryer. Remember, if you want A/C in the cab like we discussed, the hard work is already done. You have a compressor mounted on the engine.

Any big plans for modifications?

cucvrus

I found the little metal Dogtag on the manifold of a few trucks. I found that the number matches the last 8 of the VIN of the CUCV chassis. Does yours match? I have the rear steps that are missing. And if that 4WD shifter bothers you I know someone on here was looking to but that radio plate. You can put a standard 208 shifter in its place. And looking at the picture of the radiator I would pull that radiator and take it to a radiator shop and get it cleaned out or replace the radiator. Same as the heater core. It will save you time down the road. Just a thought. Good Luck.

Last edited:

Madmedic

Looks really good.

I've said this on other threads, but I'll say it again. Based on personal experience, drop the fuel tank, flush the entire fuel system, and replace the fuel sleeve inside the fuel tank. All of the CUCV's we have or have owned, had the fuel sleeve in the tank get gunked up with diesel sludge.

Drunkle Scuzzy

I'm glad you picked this up, seems like you are enjoying the new ride!

You can use your existing A/C compressor for onboard air if you fix the clutch. You just need an inline oiler and dryer. Remember, if you want A/C in the cab like we discussed, the hard work is already done. You have a compressor mounted on the engine.

Any big plans for modifications?
Yeah I may still go with ac in the cab. It gets hot in there in the sun. I think I'll keep modifications to a minimum for reliability sake, aside from the camper build. I would like to do a long leaf add a leaf and replace the worn out shocks/ steering stabilizer with heavy duty bilsteins. Hopefully that will fit 255/85r16E Toyo M55 tires. I'll probably get a Detroit locker for the rear as it has been removed from this truck. Dual fuel tanks, maybe a fresh water tank where the spare is and relocate the spare to a swing away bumper mount. Eventually I'd like a small fridge, small stove top, solar charging for maybe two deep cycle batteries with a battery isolator that charges the primary batteries first then the rv batteries. Fold away bed and table and seats\bench for 4 with seat belts. Everything in the camper would be able to fold up to the sides when not in use to keep the space available for hauling. I'd like to tig weld aluminum frames for all these items to keep weight down. Use milsurp cargo net bolted to the frame for a bed, with a futon style pad on it. I'd love to eventually add an ORD Magnum box with np205 for added low range... but we'll see how far we get along. First is some basic maintenance.

Last edited: