• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought a CUCV M1010 !

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, they will fit and work fine on the stock 6 1/2" wide rim. I went with factory Ford rims for that extra half inch in width.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
None whatsoever. The 255 (or at least mine) call for a rim width of between 6 1/5 and 8 inches in width.

Drunkle Scuzzy

Big fan of tall skinny tires. Once had an s10 pickup on 13" mud terrains and it slid all over the place. Way too much flotation, especially such a light truck. I have never spent much time in deep mud or sand. Put a 9.5" tire on it and it bit right in.

Drunkle Scuzzy

What should a rebuild transfer case cost? Looks like it needs rebuilt, truck wouldn't move in any gear, and wouldn't stop rolling in park. A local shop with an excellent reputation has quoted me $900 to buy a solid rebuilt transfer case and $300 to install.$150 for transmission service. They said they can buy a good rebuild cheaper than their cost to rebuild mine. Any thoughts? I need to make a decision today as the truck is in their shop now

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 208 is one of the easier to rebuild. Don't need a press. The pricing seems high but I can't compare, I do all my own work.

Drunkle Scuzzy

looks like the truck will drive in 4 low. So I'm going to drive it home ( about 1 mile ) in 4 low with the hubs unlocked. Then I'm just going to park it until I can afford to buy a rebuild, and work on installing it myself. About 8 years ago I helped install a transfer case in a 1985 chevy S 10. Do you think it's about the same level of complexity as that?

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really simple install. Get a friend to help you bench press it into place. It's only a matter of about 6 bolts, 2 driveshafts, speedo cable, electrical plug and shifter linkage.

Drunkle Scuzzy

I'm not convinced that it actually needs a rebuild. The transmission shop hasn't taken it apart to verify the problem, they are basing their suggestion on their interpretation of the symptoms. It seems to me that if it is only slipping out of gear in 2h and 4h, but still seems to function in 4low, that the transfer case linkage may be the issue. My basic understanding of how an np208 transfer case works makes me question if it is in fact damaged, since it still seems to work in 4 low. (which I will verify tomorrow morning when I try and drive it home)

I want to inspect the linkage, remove the threaded rod from the transfer case operating lever, and manually engage the operating lever on the transfer case with a wrench into 2h, 4h and 4low. Then drive it and see if it slips in each gear... If not, I feel safe to say that the linkage is the problem. After that I want to remove the drain plug on the transfer case, drain the fluid and check for debris/ metal shavings. Then change the transmission filter and fluid as per section 5-2 of this TM ( http://www.steelsoldiers.com/upload/CUCV/TM9-2320-289-20.pdf ), since I'll be down there and having to add new fluid.

Last edited:

Drunkle Scuzzy

I'm wondering if this is the stock transfer case shifter, and if not could it be the problem? I believe cucvrus mentioned that it is a different style and someone was interested in trading for a different type... wish I had a better memory, can't find the thread. Or is it just the stock shifter with the metal plate above it? Anyone know about this and if the linkage is different than what I'm seeing in the section 5-4 of the following TM? If it is the same I should be able to use the instructions in section 5-6 to adjust the linkage and check for proper operation?

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/upload/CUCV/TM9-2320-289-20.pdf

Sorry I don't have a better photo of the transfer case shifter, I'll post one when I get the truck home from the shop.

Thanks everyone for your help! Y'all not only helped convince me buying this truck this is a good idea ( without a doubt it is a great idea! ), y'all have also helped me solve a fuel filter issue, fix the wipers, and now are helping with this. I appreciate the support from the Steel Soldiers MV community, I couldn't do this without ya.

Attachments

Last edited:

cucvrus

The shifter you are showing is stock in the M1010. And yes someone was looking for that radio plate that is bolted above the 4WD shifter. The M1010 shifter is bent that way so it fits under the radio mounting plate. I did find it harder to shift these bent shifters and I just removed the radio plate and the bent shifter and installed a straight shifter from a donor vehicle.

Drunkle Scuzzy

The owner of the transmission shop was very certain in his mind that is not the shift linkage. I will have to do some investigation, but he feels like I definitely am going to have to replace the transfer case. Got the truck home today in 4low, and it will have to wait until I have some time to look at it.