• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are C and D turbos still manufactured?

bebyb

Hello all, random question, are turbos found in the deuce still manufactured new? Are parts for either the C or D easy to find for a rebuild?

Thanks!

rustystud

Hello all, random question, are turbos found in the deuce still manufactured new? Are parts for either the C or D easy to find for a rebuild?

Thanks!
No and no. There are still some NOS parts out there and a few shops can rebuild them. But by and large they are not easy to repair and a number of people I know are going to more modern designs.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't recall a single thread where anyone has used a "modern" turbo.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hello all, random question, are turbos found in the deuce still manufactured new? Are parts for either the C or D easy to find for a rebuild? Thanks!
here, and this should be a sticky, but alas it is not! Perhaps a moderator can put it where it belongs.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?75970-Turbo-Rebuild-3LJ-319-(Whistler)

It should be in there with this sticky .....
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?16562-Turbo-classification

I try to just start at the stickies
here
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/forumdisplay.php?20-The-Deuce

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That does not constitute a "large number of people", does it?

rustystud

I don't recall a single thread where anyone has used a "modern" turbo.
This is not the only military vehicle site I go to. On others including the "tractor pullers" they are playing with installing modern turbos. Be that as it may, there has been talk here about installing different turbos. I believe jeepsinker was doing this awhile back as where others. I cannot remember their names at this time but a search would reveal them.

Last edited:

rustystud

here, and this should be a sticky, but alas it is not! Perhaps a moderator can put it where it belongs.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?75970-Turbo-Rebuild-3LJ-319-(Whistler)

It should be in there with this sticky .....
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?16562-Turbo-classification

I try to just start at the stickies
here
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/forumdisplay.php?20-The-Deuce
The problem with "J&H Diesel" is they only stock NOS parts for the "C" turbo. Like I said there is no one making new parts for our turbos. I called about 3 months ago about a rebuild kit for my "D" turbo and they had nothing. So once all the NOS parts for the "C" turbo are gone, they are gone forever.
Now if someone has a source of new parts for our turbos that would be great news ! I still need a rebuild kit for my "D" turbo.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fwiw, that post#10 is refering to a military stock installed turbo ,Schwitzer Model 4LE-354 Turbocharger for M44 / M35 and M39A2 / M54A2 Series Military Trucks with Multi-Fuel Engine. This is the larger style "Whistler" Turbo used over 40 years ago. Definitely not what I would call a "modern" design" turbo.

Your statement made it sound like the majority of people needing turbos replaced are using something other than stock turbos.

As I stated, I don't recall a single member of this site posting that they have installed a new, modern, non original model turbo.

I am not trying to carry on in the forums, I am simply stating this so that a newb does not read this thread and get misguided info.

Last edited:

bebyb

Thank you for the info. The funny thing is, I am a machinist myself. I thought about making parts if mine fails but I don't know if standard machines would cut it. I would assume turbo parts would need a lot of precision grinding done to them, although I am not certain on that. Does anyone have any measurements for the bearing diameters?

rustystud

Thank you for the info. The funny thing is, I am a machinist myself. I thought about making parts if mine fails but I don't know if standard machines would cut it. I would assume turbo parts would need a lot of precision grinding done to them, although I am not certain on that. Does anyone have any measurements for the bearing diameters?
The most precise part will be the bronze bushings and possibly the spacers. The seals should be of a standard size and we should be able to buy them from any competent turbo repair shop. If the "impeller" or shaft is made then the unit is toast as there is no way to manufacture a new one without an insane amount of money ! The good thing is most of the impellers are usually still in good shape as long as they never came in contact with the housing due to bad bushings. Now the modern units have such extremely tight tolerances on the housing any deviation in the bushings will cause the impellers to come in contact and get destroyed.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've removed a lot of unneeded and hateful discussion in this thread and moved the discussion to the facts. Do not use the forums for personal attacks.

Now to manufacturing a turbo. Unless you've got a nice 5 axis CNC mill, forget it. And trying to retrofit a modern turbine or impeller onto a old turbo is a exercise in futility. You'd be much better served simply finding a modern turbo with a map similar to the stock C or D turbo. Unfortunately, I do not have a map of either of those turbos to make any sort or suggestion.

bebyb

I've removed a lot of unneeded and hateful discussion in this thread and moved the discussion to the facts. Do not use the forums for personal attacks.

Now to manufacturing a turbo. Unless you've got a nice 5 axis CNC mill, forget it. And trying to retrofit a modern turbine or impeller onto a old turbo is a exercise in futility. You'd be much better served simply finding a modern turbo with a map similar to the stock C or D turbo. Unfortunately, I do not have a map of either of those turbos to make any sort or suggestion.
Oh yeah, I only have access to a 4 axis. I was just thinking about making the bushings, bearings, etc. Now as far as a replacement turbo once the surplus dries up, I wonder how a turbo from a 6.0 or 7.3 powerstroke would do.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It wouldn't be too hard to find a available replacement. I've had to do this with old tractors several times. There are a lot of older Garret and Air Research turbos that are being remanufactured. I'm sure you could find one that would work, I just haven't took the time to find out and I haven't heard of anybody else doing it either.

I'm almost sure you can find a available replacement cheaper than you could custom make the parts to rebuild the stock turbo.

dmetalmiki

Just about any turbo of similar spec or better could be made to fit. One of our members put a (rather nice) whistling turbo on his Cummins engined wrecker, took a while and a bit modification, piping etc, and to the hood, but it sounds really nice and goes (even) better.

rustystud

For the immediate future I think with some new bushings and seals the old turbos can have an extended life. These older turbos do not have the extreme tolerances that modern turbos do. Also the old impellers seem to hold up fairly well. The seals will be the most difficult item to find. A good quality "lock-ring" style would be nice. I plan on visiting a few rebuild shops in this area and find out if it even is a possibility.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So does anyone on here have any good tips on preserving the life of the turbo?
Install a pyro and maybe a boost gauge. You will be able to monitor normal and abnormal conditions. If you get too hot or too much boost, you can reduce throttle to conserve your motor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks