• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are C and D turbos still manufactured?

bebyb

The most precise part will be the bronze bushings and possibly the spacers. The seals should be of a standard size and we should be able to buy them from any competent turbo repair shop. If the "impeller" or shaft is made then the unit is toast as there is no way to manufacture a new one without an insane amount of money ! The good thing is most of the impellers are usually still in good shape as long as they never came in contact with the housing due to bad bushings. Now the modern units have such extremely tight tolerances on the housing any deviation in the bushings will cause the impellers to come in contact and get destroyed.
Now will the turbo make a different sound if the impeller is slapping against the housing?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Borg-Warner bought out Schwitzer a few years ago. I used to work for a turbocharger company and I overhauled 17 turbos for members on this site. The parts were not uncommon. Try searching through Borg-Warner.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Technically it's Banshee; but, please don't unleash them here
Mine was um Asian?

BWAAAAhahahahaha

Well, mine lost all oil pressure and burned out at the same time,

so the sound made all the hairs on my body stand up. I was amazed and don't know how anyone could ever re-produce that sound. WOW

Another Ahab

Mine was um Asian?

BWAAAAhahahahaha

Well, mine lost all oil pressure and burned out at the same time,

so the sound made all the hairs on my body stand up. I was amazed and don't know how anyone could ever re-produce that sound. WOW
That's a Banshee alright:

- "...with a wail that can shatter glass".
For sure, even the ones with the Asian accents! :naner::twisted:

rustystud

005.jpg010.jpg

I found out some interesting information today. I was rebuilding my "C" turbo, I have to replace my "D" turbo until I find some rebuild parts for it. Well the impeller is a NO-GO !!!! It looks like the previous owner sucked a valve or something through it. There are little chunks out of the fins. So I took it down to an Industrial diesel shop in Seattle that has a turbocharger repair center. I talked with the manager for about an hour today and found out there is no replacements available at all from any supplier except a "Chinese" unit. They are making actual "C" turbos now. According to the manager they are junk though. I asked about a modern replacement turbo for our Multifuels and since they all use the "T-4" (T-04) mounting finding a turbo would not be a problem. Finding a turbo that would put out the "extremely low" output of our turbos would be a problem though ! Now if we went with a internally wastegated turbo there are several options, and we could if we wanted too actually increase the boost at our whim. I will be sending him some specs of the "C" and "D" turbos and the LDT and LDS engines to find a good match. I wasn't aware of it but the "C" turbo was originally designed and put in use in 1952. He showed me a modern turbo that would do the job of ours and it was smaller then my hand ! That is how much the tech has come since the 1950's . Another option he will look into is if the Chinese will sell just the fans (impeller and compressor wheels) . If they will we can replace our busted up ones with them. They won't be great but if you balance them they will be better then nothing. According to the manager the Chinese units are not good in the fit and finish. The bearings are garbage as are the housings and thrustwashers . The fans are OK but need balancing to operate safely. The fans are not made from the same grade of material as good turbos are but they will work. So some options are now available. I did find a source for a "D" rebuild kit but I need to find out if they are American made or Chinese. So I will keep digging around.
I did found out about the rebuild kit from "Inversion" . It is made in the UK for Borg Warner and is part number "318368" . There is also the Chinese company "Turbo International" which sells a kit "7-C-0670" . You must have an account with them to buy though.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's the price on the Chinese turbo?

Do you have contact info, for ordering one?

yolner

That's good news. Would be nice to have a modern alternative. Plus if we use a modern turbo rebuild kits would be easy and cheap to get.

Another Ahab

I found out some interesting information today. I was rebuilding my "C" turbo, I have to replace my "D" turbo until I find some rebuild parts for it. Well the impeller is a NO-GO !!!! It looks like the previous owner sucked a valve or something through it. There are little chunks out of the fins. So I took it down to an Industrial diesel shop in Seattle that has a turbocharger repair center. I talked with the manager for about an hour today and found out there is no replacements available at all from any supplier except a "Chinese" unit. They are making actual "C" turbos now. According to the manager they are junk though. I will be sending him some specs of the "C" and "D" turbos and the LDT and LDS engines to find a good match. I wasn't aware of it but the "C" turbo was originally designed and put in use in 1952. He showed me a modern turbo that would do the job of ours and it was smaller then my hand ! That is how much the tech has come since the 1950's . So I will keep digging around.
That's pretty wild; excellent intel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks