• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are C and D turbos still manufactured?

rustystud

The Borg Warner kit number for the "D" turbo is 194397 and it has been replaced with number 318368.
Now according to the manager at Hatton Marine Engines the "GT-37" series turbo used in the International 7.3 (Fords) will fit just fine in our trucks. With the internal wastegate it can be easily adjusted to run the low pressure our multifuels use. Of course you must use the correct flange which can be easily bought. There are several models in the "GT-37" series that use the T-4 flange. So basically going to the wrecking yard we can pick-up a turbo that will fit our trucks and the rebuild parts are everywhere.
If you wish to try the Chinese made parts they are available from "Turbo International" .
The rebuild kit for the "D" turbo is "7-C-0670" .

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
"Now according to the manager at Hatton Marine Engines the "GT-37" series turbo used in the International 7.3 (Fords) will fit just fine in our trucks."

Holy Toledo, the Holy Grail Turbo!

Thanks rustystud

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
This is good info so far, but what about the turbo maps? Long ago, a member here said that just slapping another turbo on will do little if it doesn't have a similar "turbo map".

I don't know much about turbos other than the basics, so I am just going from what I was told in the past.

rustystud

This is good info so far, but what about the turbo maps? Long ago, a member here said that just slapping another turbo on will do little if it doesn't have a similar "turbo map".

I don't know much about turbos other than the basics, so I am just going from what I was told in the past.
You can spend some quality time here if you want to make absolutely sure, but according to Alexander this turbo would work fine here. Pretty much the same factory RPM range and CFM needed and with the adjustable wastegate no need to worry about blowing off the heads !

http://www.turbos.borgwarner.com/af..._wts=400&pt6_wd=83&pt6_wd2=74&pt6_wrsin=92044&

Last edited:

rustystud

I forgot to add that if we where going to race our trucks then we would absolutely go by the turbo map. But since we don't really need to worry about "spooling speed" and turbo ratio (exhaust flow to air intake flow) and other minutia we can get by with "pretty close" . Plus we are not using the turbo to it's maximum capability. In fact without the internal wastegate this or almost any other turbo would be too much for our trucks.
I also should add the reason for going with an internally regulated turbo instead of an externally controlled wastegate. With the internal one we do not need to add a secondary exhaust line to our system. With an externally regulated turbo the secondary line must be sized accurately to allow the wastegate to function properly. Yes the racers use the externally regulated wastegate since they can have larger bores and are more easily controlled with engine ECM's, but we don't need that and why make things more complicated then they need to be ?

Last edited:

rustystud

I figured I would post this information about the 7.3 PowerStroke before all the "fault finders" jumped on the bandwagon. As you can see it is very close to our LDT465 engine as far as the peak HP (at 2800 RPM compared to 2600 RPM) and peak torque (at 1600 RPM compared to 1400 RPM) ranges are concerned.

View attachment Scan0178.pdf

yolner

When I look up the stock Ford turbo for a 7.3 Powerstroke, it always comes back as a Garrett GTP38 series.
I noticed that too. You have to look at the international trucks of the same vintage. Seems only they used the GT37. That kinda limits the possibility of finding them in a yard since there are a **** of a lot more fords than internationals. I wonder if the GTP38 would work since it's still the same motor?

pjwest03

I noticed that too. You have to look at the international trucks of the same vintage. Seems only they used the GT37. That kinda limits the possibility of finding them in a yard since there are a **** of a lot more fords than internationals. I wonder if the GTP38 would work since it's still the same motor?
Looks like a very different beast on the Ford version. The 03-07 6.0 Powerstroke is a GT37 series however. That looks to be a lot closer.

Merc1973

Looks like a very different beast on the Ford version. The 03-07 6.0 Powerstroke is a GT37 series however. That looks to be a lot closer.
Im pretty sure Sick Liter (6.0) is an electric variable geometry turbo (VGT). Hence the 6.0 whistle?

ETA Correction: There were VGT and non-VGT versions.

Last edited:

rustystud

I should have been more specific about the GT-37 series turbo. That is the base model and there are about 100 variations built on this platform. If I remember right the one for the powerstroke was the GT-3776 but don't quote me since I didn't have a pen and paper to take notes with. Almost all the GT-37 series have a "internal wastegate" so you will not see anything from the outside. Since we want a basic bolt-on unit this is it. No extra exhaust piping to run. When the funds allow it, I will be buying one to play with. Right now I ordered the rebuild kit for my "D" turbo from "Invasion Auto Products" . It should arrive sometime next week. It cost $99.00 plus $14.00 shipping. I will post about the rebuild then.
I was very lucky to catch the manager at Hatton at a good time. He spent over 2 hours helping me with a lot of information. As a fellow mechanic he showed me a lot of the little tricks you need to do and watch for in a turbo rebuild. Since I didn't buy a turbo from them though I don't feel comfortable going back to ask a bunch of questions again. Though I might have them balance my "D" turbo Impeller assembly. Then I 'll ask a ton of more questions !

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks