• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1070 recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

ke5eua

So let me guess, the workaround in the sandbox was a funnel in the cab with a hose leading to the starter; won't crank, just empty your canteen out? And for the check engine alarm, remove check engine indicator bulbs and disconnect buzzer?
On missions we never shut it off, and for the buzzer I plead the 5th on that one, but electrical tape does work wonders on the loudness of them, lol

No, our mechanics were really good on our hets so we never really had the issues with the oil thinning, especially because the majority of our missions were at night when it was cooler out.

Ndt, you make me laugh reading your responses to this. But since you mentions the funnel, some of us did have a funnel and hose leading out but it wasn't for cooling the starter off it you get my drift.

HETvet

NDT, though your diagnosis is correct, your resolution is laughable; but hardly tangible. Thank you for recognizing not only our combat experience, but the efforts made to continue the mission.

The ACTUAL solution for these 2 issues are a replacement of the starter with a newer, updated starter. I had this issue while in Iraq and deduced that a starter was to blame and a replacement with a more current production day was the resolution. The part numbers are the same, only the production date was different.

The solution to the oil part of this equation is a multi step fix. While operating in Afghanistan, this flaw reared it's ugly head to the doom of countless engines. After hours of research A resolution was formulated. Step one is to convert BOTH the engine and transmission over to 40W oil. Second was to by pass the the oil passages in the clutch fan. Due to the fan running almost nonstop, the oil was being overly heated; thus thinning the oil to a water like state. After doing these 2 steps, not one engine was damaged, or warning buzzers/lights came on due to oil viscosity break down.

The vehicle in tow, combined with all original equipment (as shown by the old, original starter; this truck was never updated or rebuilt/referbished) was enough to push the vehicle over the edge, per say. This is the EXACT reason I gave the warning of 377 TC and their shotty track record.

I have personally logged 1 million miles from October 2008 through October 2009 in support of both OIF and OND. Also personally logging 90,000 miles in support of NATO (ISAF) forces from June 2013 through December 2013 in OEF. Although I can't speak for others, I have not and will not risk my life, or the life's of others by "workaround in the sandbox" practices.

ke5eua

Looks like you should be back to the house this afternoon, 350 easy miles. Good luck!
Yeah that was the plan, stuck at hotel and when I try to engage front a blow off valve under neath goes off.

When I say stuck I mean, I was backing up to give myself enough clearance to turn around and the back axle is off ground and just a spinning so the other two won't do squat.

The batteries in the 818 are low and won't start so I can't give it a little tug.

Ahh, this trip...

At the holiday inn in Waller, TX.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think there is a blow off valve associated with engaging 8x8. Sounds like a ruptured diaphragm in an air actuator. Maybe you can pinch off the hose and get 8x6.

ke5eua

I don't think there is a blow off valve associated with engaging 8x8. Sounds like a ruptured diaphragm in an air actuator. Maybe you can pinch off the hose and get 8x6.
Good news, rocked the boat and got it out.

Bad news, I owe jeep a tow bar.

I managed to get across the street to a big parking lot.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403618150.940536.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1403618170.672896.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1403618184.040632.jpg

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tow start the 818.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well you look screwed now. Lucky for you, Waller is home to International Repo-depo, a shop that rebuilds M series trucks. Give Earl a call at 936-372-5683 and he will install a new tow bracket for you.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

No good deed goes unpunished.:wreckerman893:

This is why I quit doing long distance recoveries.

I hope you get the issue resolved and get back on the road quickly.

We are all rooting for you and you have guys working the issue as I type.

Good luck.

ke5eua

:tigger:

No good deed goes unpunished.:wreckerman893:

This is why I quit doing long distance recoveries.

I hope you get the issue resolved and get back on the road quickly.

We are all rooting for you and you have guys working the issue as I type.

Good luck.
I know, I love being on the road, I miss it. But crap ola this has been fun to say the least.

At least the chains did what they were supposed to do.

Ok talked to jeep. If I can park the 818 somewhere here I'll be good, although I need to go find the part that broke and get the foot off of it and my pin.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm in College Station and have a Med-Heavy Towbar with 1" feet you can use if you get a new bracket mounted. (I may be at the DPS/Tax Office so text me first if able).

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fuzzytoaster up the road in College Station can bring you a towbar if you can get the bracket.

Status
Not open for further replies.