• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MI to GA

FSBruva

Well, transfer season is upon us, and my number is up.

OOA July 1st, the deuce and chase vehicle will begin the odyssey from Cheboygan, MI to Atlanta, GA. Along the way, we might be able to wok in a meal or frosty beverage with any of the fine members of the site. Does anyone have any suggestions of "things we gotta see" on our way down? We are toying with the idea of detouring over into Virginia a bit, but no firm plans yet. We're open to suggestions! Otherwise, we would just be heading straight down I-75 for about 1,000 miles. We will get some hotel nights paid for, but if anyone knows good tent camping areas that allow dogs, please let us know!

Matt

citizensoldier

Hey guy. If I dont see you again before then have a very safe trip and the parades were fun. Is there anyway you could take a set of M880 axles with you ? Or maybe a M101A2 with them in it behind the deuce? If no I understand, but I think I have a set sold to a guy in Virginia and the trailer to a guy in FL.. No greenbacks have materialized but we will see.
You make sure to come back and visit us and I will be sure to look you up when I am passing through.
My recomendation for stops would be Mammoth Caves, and anywhere on the Blue Ridge Parkway.. Lots of cool stuff. Just when I am getting to know ya you up and go! :(

FSBruva

I am not planning on towing anything as of now, so the M101A2 idea sounds like the best - I will talk it over with the other half.

Matt

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Let me know when you plan on going through Cincinnati. If its a week night, I might have a room available. At least some supper. :)

FSBruva

gimpyrob- NICE! I appreciate the offer!

citizensoldier-
Got the cover, but need the hardware and end curtains. I am working on it, though.

Matt

vlmuke

In dayton OH there is the Airforce Museum, Carralon park, there is big daddy's surplus in TN but it might be on hwy 24 though if you are going nearMcdonough which is about a 1/2 hour south of atlanta there is a resturant call OB's on exit 216-218 that has awsome BBQ

FSBruva

Thanks all for the ideas of how to make the trip fun.

Trip preps thus far:
Flipped rear hubs
Cleaned and repacked all rear bearings with GAA
Replaced all axle seals
Replaced both knuckle boots
Replaced both bearing sets (inner & outer) on the front, packed with GAA
Replaced turn signal flasher
Got new-ish Michelin XL's mounted up on rehabbed M135 wheels, with Dynabeads in the tubes

Still "to do:"
Put on new wheels/tires
Change oil
Change oil filters
Replace E-brake return spring
Replace a solenoid-to-starter wire
Replace oil pressure gauge
Install working fuel pump
Drain fuel tank to get (presumed) sludge out
Replace all fuel filters
Drain tranny
Install magnetic tranny plug
Fill tranny
Top off diffs & transfer case
Install desplined front flanges
Install one splined front flange in place of one front rear drive shaft

If I have time:
Install West Coast mirrors

It's all coming together! For some reason, with the bearing work done, it feels like the hardest parts are already done with!

Matt

BIGDIG

I already sent you a PM then I found this post..Im in Williamsburg Va and if things work out with me and Lane,you will be carrying a set of 880 axles down my way.You are WAY more than welcome to park at my house for the night and stay here.I have a great party garage and always walk over to my favorite place .....HOOTERS..... just across the street..I get great service and sometimes free beer or at a discount..I may also be able to help you out with 40ga of diesel...FREE
for any of you members here,I have an account on MYSPACE and go by HOOTER BOB,check out my pics of my garage..
Hope you detour you way here,if not Ill meet you on the road..
Bob

FSBruva

Bob-
I will definitely add Williamsburg to the proposed itinerary. As I mentioned in the PM... I had a change of orders, so I will not be departing MI until July 21-22.

Sorry for the delay in getting pics of the progress!!!

Tuesday night after work:
Got wheels mounted on truck, and did the oil change and filter replacement. Also drained and flushed tranny and trasfer case. Installed magnetic drain plug in tranny, finally. Installed new solenoid to starter lead.

Today:
Installed parking brake return spring (mine had gone for a walk), and adjusted parking brake to specs. Pulled old in tank fuel pump, and replaced with working pump. Take a look at the two pumps. They are drastically different diameters, and so I had to swap out the clamp along with the pump. Anybody got any ideas?

Hope the other pics give an idea of what the truck looks like now with the 11R20s. With Dynabeads AND radials... the truck rides much more smoothly on the highway. Highway speed all day long, and even PASSED some cars!! Nice. AND... the extra 3 inches of ride height makes working under the truck much more bearable!!

So, I was all happy, because the worklist now has been pared down to:
Replace fuel filters
Replace oil guage
Install WC mirrors
Desplined flanges will happen closer to departure date.

But then reality set in, and these things got added to the worklist (thank goodness we pushed bate the departure!):
Replace rear main seal (with my luck, this means be prepared to replace any/all of the parts that get touched for this procedure)
Replace OTHER starter to solenoid lead
Hunt down a proper speedo adapter (not crucial)
Figure out new mounting for spare tire (not crucial)

Matt

Attachments

FSBruva

It's amazing..... spending a week on PMS has convinced me of two things:

1. I have defintely chosen the correct hobby.
2. LONG LIVE BIG GREEN IRON!!!!
(that one's for you, Ron)

Seriously, everytime I have to call it quits because of dark or schedule, I can't wait to keep working. I will report back promptly with how the rear main seal replacement goes....

Matt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks