• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MI to GA

ONTOS66

Truck is look'n good - nice tires! Unfortunately you are too far West for me to offer any scenic tips - my part time job is managing a GREAT campground for Morris County - and we are pet friendly. So, if you are ever in the North Jersey / NY area we got the best deal around - and a special rate for Active and Retired Military.
Have a great trip, be safe, hope the new assignment is a ball.
Don't forget the photos - you know how these people get about stuff like that.
;)

FSBruva

Well, the rear main seal arrived from NAPA yesterday, and so now it's a matter of finding the time to get the beast apart. I also got the bows installed, and the end curtains arrived last week. The only thing left on that avenue is getting some repairs to the cargo cover taken care of. Or, we might just run a large tarp under the cover, and call it good. last thing is the new sender and oil guage showed up, so that will be a fix sometime this week.

In my idle time waiting for parts, I have had an opportunity to plan the road trip, and was hoping for some feedback from the members.

We will be heading south from Cleveland, and heading towards the Great Smoky Mountains National Park via Knoxville. My question is about the driveability of I-81 through VA for a loaded deuce and M101 trailer. We could come down I-77 through Wytheville and then head west on I-81, or we could jog over to Cincinnati and come down 75. Are there any pros/cons to either route from a driving standpoint?

Thanks for the input!

Matt

FSBruva

Clinto brings up a good point... the M101 will be used to transport some axles, but will be empty otherwise. With a certain HIAB cranetruck, I am sure we can make something happen... the only question becomes - how do we unload the trailer when we get to ATL?

I am open to suggestions on this....

Matt

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ron has a wrecker.............

or we could find a hill and roll it out.......

or..... (see last picture)

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FSBruva said:
......My question is about the driveability of I-81 through VA for a loaded deuce and M101 trailer. We could come down I-77 through Wytheville and then head west on I-81, or we could jog over to Cincinnati and come down 75. Are there any pros/cons to either route from a driving standpoint?
Thanks for the input!
Matt
I have driven both the I-81 and I-77 with a loaded deuce and trailer. No problems.
If you head South on I-77 from I-81 you will be going down the mountain into North Carolina. It is a fairly straight run, about 6 miles or so and you can maintain a good speed of 50 mph and wont need to use the service brakes much.

If you decide to come by and pick up Robert's trailer, that is fine too. If you leave the cargo cover off, one of the trailers can be placed in the bed (Robert's trailer is tall with the bomb hoist and all, so it should probably be towed).

Attachments

FSBruva

If we're putting stuff in the bed, I may as well put the axles in the bed and leave the M101 at home. We are using the deuce to take care of some of our HHG move, so I don't think there will be room for a trailer. Let the cogitation begin...

Matt

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could you put the axles in the duece and tow the trailer, when you get to cranetrucks disconnect, then connect to RDM's trailer and put the 101 in it backwards??? Just a thought. :lol:

FSBruva

RDM - Sorry for getting your hopes up. I found out last night that both the M101 and the axles have been sold - so no option to leave either behind.

hndrsonj - I don't know how you could put anything on the M103... with that hoist bar and such (see Bjorn's post). The only option would be to tow one trailer behind the other - but neither the 101 or the 103 have hitches to allow for that. I guess it will have to wait a little longer. Oh well.

Matt

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
but neither the 101 or the 103 have hitches to allow for that.
Talk to AM General; ask for pics. His mod was quick, simple and safe. And undoable

CGarbee

I'm not on you direct route between VA and GA (I'm in Raleigh), but post up your route and schedule through NC when you figure it out and we'll see if we can get together for a meal or a drink or a wave as you go by... :)

FSBruva

Here it goes:
July 21 - Cheboygan to Ann Arbor
July 22 - Ann Arbor to Cleveland
July 23 - Cleveland to Beckley, WV
July 24 - Beckley, WV to Great Smoky Mountains NP
July 26 - GSM NP to Marietta, GA

Google map:
http://shortlinks.net/gjr593

That's the plan right now... I don't even know that we'll set foot in NC, actually. I have family in Raleigh, but with the house closing dates, and the amount of proceed time, I don't know how that would work out. The premise of this trip is to not go much farther than 300 miles a day, because it's the closest thing to a vacation that we have been able to take. Perhaps we might have to change that idea....

Matt

As you get closer to your arrival date in July in Marietta, let us know. Us local boys may just meet ya on the road and provide a little green convoy to your place.

lstmate

Not really any of my business but.....

Not really any of my business but did you realize that by going through Beckley, WV you add some miles to your trip? At least by my quick calculations.... If you happen to go down 75 stop by the Horse State Park just north of Lexington, KY. Especially if kids are involved, it can be a fun stop.

While in Great Smokie Mountains area go either Early in morning or late in evening through Cades Cove. Usually you can see bear and deer. It is a beautiful 5 mile loop drive. Go to the bathroom before you start....

FSBruva

RE: Not really any of my business but.....

Thanks for the info... We will try to get to Cades Cove.

Yes, I realize that taking the eastern route, we are adding some miles. However, because the Blue Ridge Parkway parallels (roughly) I-81, we wanted to add that to the fun stuff. Plus, we have already driven the I-75 route when delivering the other car down there. May as well see a little different scenery this time.

Matt

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
yep I agree Cades Cove is the bomb. If you are remotely close drive thru. Can't go wrong. :wink:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks