• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

straight pipe cummins with pics

atvcat33

ok i had my "nelson" muffler break at both flanges on a trip. got it back home and found some 5" couplers and a stack off a mack truck i have, and made some straght 5" right from the manifold.

was pretty easy, took the flange from the muffler and welded a 4 1/2 to 5" coupler to it and ran some flex and couplers to a 90 and right to the stack. this is VERY LOUD. gurggles pretty good through the gears. louder than a whistler duece by far.

i did not cut or retrofit anything on this. i had a old exhaust flange for the stack and welded the 5" clamp to that. i wouldnt be surprised that i get pulled over for it, i can get a new muffler for $250 but thought i go and straight pipe on it for now.

i will be adding a 290 small cam turbo and jakes this fall, also ill be running 46" singles too. with pics to follow.........:grin:

Attachments

vinny-socom1

I plan on pulling my muffler and piping it under the truck and out in front of the rear tires. I ran a similar set up on my other 5ton but with the stock muffler attached,it is very quiet inside the cab!!

Vinny

supermechanic

How do you intend to deal with the hood clearance problem when you add the turbo and the jake?
If you use this much, it won't take long for you to get tired of the noise.(or maybe go deaf, then there will be no issue).
nice project, good pics.
I added turbo to mine, make sure you get ALL the parts from the donor engine, manifolds, oil lines, ect.
I had to make a bunch of part runs for little stuff.

atvcat33

well i have a extra hood im going to raise all the way back with smooth curves, leaving room for the intake pipe and valve covers. the doner truck is a old carnival truck that i had on ebay and nobody wants cab over single axles no more and its good a good motor so we will see what happens.

bigelk50

I have been thinking hard about doing this to my 5 ton. is there any way that you can post a short video of how she sounds? If not its cool I will just have to do it to my truck!

atvcat33

i have new mufflers in stock $250 + shipping. iam not going to put a muffler on my 818 till i get pulled over. i have new j-pipes in stock as well call me
414-531-9772 brent

beaubeau

Why not take diameter measurements and get a Shorty muffler from parts store. I have in my garage a Muffler or Resonator, about 8 to 12inches long I was going to put on my Detroit diesel, but desided not too. Cost about $30.00.

Alredneck

Banned
instead of this thread is worthless without pics we need a logo for "" THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT SOUND BITS """!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:razz:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had an old IH Loadstar with a NHC250 and no muffler. I know how loud they are. I thought it was cool at the time but as I get older I start thinking about bringing unwanted attention to myself and hearing loss.

hoopsoft

I've spend close to 9 hours in a 818 with no muffler, in the passenger seat. You can feel it in your chest if you have the window down, and you don't do that without ear plugs.

I had fun once.... wasn't nothing like that though.

hoopsoft

I drove a deuce 500 miles back without ear plugs, it didn't bother me too much .. that 818 BOTHERED me.

But hey, people will stop and look at you, and NO ONE is gonna change lanes into cause they didn't know your there.

bigelk50

Ha that is for sure. I have been around lots of straight piped equipment and semi trucks. one of the worst I ever drove was a single stacked screaming jimmy (detroit). It will be short lived, the wife a dog ride with me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks