• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

This is why I do not like working in the dirt

Lonesome715

The ground is really soft right now from recent rain. I am sure that was a contributing factor to my donor truck falling off the jack stands. That and not having the proper equipment to take on such a task. I was trying to get the truck jacked up far enough so I could pull the front end out.

Oh, I know this is not a military vehicle. I just figred it would be a good safety topic.

Attachments

usmc320

You are very lucky. Glad you didn't get hurt. I never trust using only jack stands to support a vehicle in the air. Several people die every year like that.

usmc320

As a matter of fact a guy in my area died a couple of months ago from a car falling on him while he was working on it. Very sad.

Crazyguyla

Well I guess being angry is better tham being dead.
Or dying from sever depression.

I had a car fall off jack stands when I was pulling the rear axle off. Didn't relise/ know that the car willl fall when the jack stands are under said axle and the U bolts are removed from the leaf springs.

Thanks for the reminder to be aware of the surroundings while working.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I personally like using 8 inch concrete blocks instead of jack stands, but they too can be overloaded or overstressed. the 6 inch ones are too narrow IMHO.

onegmjack

That is why I am disabled.I had a 89 or 90 Ford Thunderbird on jackstands on concrete in front of my shop.Shoved the wrench on the drive shave flange to loosen drive shaft.Knock
the whole car off jackstand.They are deadly for sure

13 MIKE

I tipped my GTO off the jackstands a couple years ago, changing rear springs out.
My 16 year old was right there, and jacked it off me, saved my life, as i could barely breathe.

I use a couple old wheels under the tires now when i'm under something without removing the wheels.

I haven't jacked the Deuce up yet, but i'll make sureit's supported well.

Thanks for posting, could save someones life down the road.

Lonesome715

This is the truck that front end is going under.

I usually have things more secure than that. I guess murphy is always laying in wait.

That truck has it in for me. I just scraped the hell out of my knee on that god for saken bumper.

Attachments

91W350

I have some old 8x12 blocks of wood that are about three feet long that I like to use as leg/chest savers. That looks like a job for a big floor jack. Glen

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks