• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

This is why I do not like working in the dirt

zout

usually things like that happen when you least expect them and it usually winds up hurting - toss up between the ego and the actual physical damage.

Have had so many things happen my wife finally bought me a "I have fallen and can't get up" pager :roll:

I have found it is almost always self inflicted and to never make fun of someone else's incident - because it will backfire on you quickly.
Making use of my limited time to work on something - so when I do get the time I have to remind myself not to be stupid and get in a hurry just so I can get the job done.
Glad the accident did not turn fatal on you.

Lonesome715

Here we go again. I jacked up the driver side of the truck first because it was on the slop and the other bottle jack was buried underneath the front end. You can see the depression in the ground in the first photograph. The much needed bottle jack I unearthed was damaged. There is a break and a big dent in the side. When I sat it upright fluid began pouring out. Can I weld up the break in the house, replace the lost fluid, and use it again? Or is it now scrap? I really need that jack. Once I got the driver side stable enough to begin working on the passenger side I switched everything over. I was not trying to get it to work height just yet; I just wanted it out of the dirt so I can get the jack under it. Well, I started jacking up the other side when guess what. The son of a bitch slid sideways off the jack and jack stand again. Luckily I was not under it this time nor was I on the side it fell to. But wait, there is more. I pulled out the crappy engine hoist my wife bought from a friend of hers that was PCS’ing while I was in Iraq. I was going to try and get it high enough to swing it over. I sold the good one I had because it was sitting and taking up room. Well damn, the cylinder will not build pressure and it is worthless.

Attachments

Lonesome715

Progress report:

I was able to get the engine hoist to work by putting oil in it. However, the rubber stopper thingy that was supposed to keep it all in was torn and no good. So I threaded the hole and installed a brass plug, now it works fine. I could not get it to raise the truck very far but I was able to get the passenger side disk brake just barely out of the dirt. That hoist felt like it was about to give and any moment. Then, I hooked up my Tugger to the front of the donor truck and pull it sideways a little bit. The only problem was it was also pulling the truck forward. I figured that was going to be an issue. So, I hooked a deuce to the back of the donor truck and locked it in gear and engaged the parking brake. Then the donor truck pivoted like I wanted it to. It is now it is off that slope but still on soft ground.
The problem I have not is not having a tall enough or flat enough jack to get into the places I have to jack it at. I am sure I will figure something out. I am use to working with less than the bare minimum and without the proper equipment.

Attachments

Westex

Harbor Freight. They copied the High Lift Jack pretty well. I've already jacked up one end of a 20' container with it and it held up. $40.00 and some change.

Lonesome715

I agree. Normally I would not even attempt a task if I am not propperly prepaired for it. But this truck has got to be done and now. Sometimes the situation dictates what should and should not be done.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DO NOT attempt to fix and reuse that bottle jack- I saw one basically explode when a fella did that and jacked up a semi. (it was a 20ton bottle jack)

You want wood that won't crush? go to a landscape place or lowe's, buy one good railroad tie. Cut it up with a chain saw into one ft or longer pieces. I've had the end of a 100 ton locomotive up on them and they hold just fine, should hold that Ford without a thought.

When removing axles, I leave the wheels on until everything underneath is removed and it is ready to come out. Even if everything is off, and it drops, it will land on the axle and tires and hopefully not my noggin.

Very very very glad you are not hurt.

Lonesome715

I only took the tires off becuase I wanted to get under it and inspect it. I had planned on putting them back on before I dropped the axle out. I like your rail road tie idea. I will see what I can come up with.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Harbor Freight. They copied the High Lift Jack pretty well. I've already jacked up one end of a 20' container with it and it held up. $40.00 and some change.

They had the 60inch one for $49.99 last weekend.

I have one of the 48s but until it gets broken in a little better the paint won't let the latch slide easily and it hangs up coming down.

But it will jack up just about anything. I use mine on trailer tongues since I'm not picking them up any more.

sw

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a chainsaw to make 12" x 2' (and a few smaller) blocks out of red oak. Things are massive, but won't collapse and can hold almost anything. I would see if you can make them.

I've had my MGB fall off a floor jack during lifting before. That was years ago. Now I never go under a lifted vehicle without wood blocks. Also had a friend die a few years ago because of this same thing.

Very glad you were not hurt. You are lucky.

Lonesome715

I know what you are saying with the paint issue. I do not have the money right now any way to by a new jack. plus, there is no harbour frieght or any other cheap tool place near us.

The neighbor behind us just took down a big tree. I will see if he has anything I can use.

tm america

ya concrete block€s fail in an ugly way had one blow out on me lucky the bumper jack caught it .it still pinned my head my brother heard it happen and picked the car up long enough for me to get out :roll:i use railroad ties or 6x6s they dont go anywhere also you can throw your spare under there in emergency situations

WOW....... you are very fortunate to have come out of this unhurt.
Somebody mentioned using concrete blocks earlier....... that is not a good idea either. They will / can break and leave you hurt or dead.
Best wishes..........

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks