• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

This is why I do not like working in the dirt

91W350

I wish you were closer, I would be glad to help you out. Bottle jacks work, I like to center them in a tire/wheel with a 2x6 inside the wheel for a jacking base on dirt. I realize you have to raise your truck some first. The front bumper looks stout enough to use a jack on. My worry would be slipping off of the round tube.

Lonesome715

The bottle jacks I was using was sinking almost three inches into the ground. Yes I got out a tape meassure. However, they are all I have so bottle jacks it will be. Well, one jack any way. The other is stuck under the truck right now.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Hmmm...sounds like you need to move the project to the hooch and work on the asphalt pad...where your deuces are.
PLUS...you would have acces to jacks, forklift, wreckers etc...of course that will extend Mel's obligation for cookies, beans and cornbread, etc...ya know the drill troop:-D

Lonesome715

There is always a cookie motivation. ;-) That would be nice, but it would be a pain to run back and fouth while getting measurments. My dually is in the drive way with no front end at all and I still have some fab work to do. However, not getting crushed sounds nice. Melissa thought it was funny, until she found out I was under it when it started to give.

Attachments

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could slide a couple of 11.00x20 or bigger wheel and tire assy's uncer the center of gravity on that.

Lonesome715

That is a good idea, but I need more hight. The tires will stop the truck from falling all the way down but i do not know if they will be enough to prvent serious injury. I wonder if I could double stack and center them on a crossmember.

Lonesome715

I beleive you are correct. I do not do this sort of thing that much though. Usually I work in my stable and solid drive way. Unfortunatly, there is not enoug room to park two vehicles side by side on it.

Engine5

I like to crib stuff when I can (read: vehicle extrication style), but it too can be unsafe if not done properly.
I agree 110%, 4x4's or 6x6's , first thing off our rescue truck at an MVA. If you can cut the doors and roof out of car and roll the nose with out too much movement you are doing good. Besides I had a buddy in high school die that same way. 67 chevelle came down on him, he caught the rear end on his head when the jack stands gave way.

Coldfusion21

I've been working under a car on jack stands, and while i try to leave a jack under it in addition to the jack stands that's not possible in this case. I will be putting some wood blocking under it before returning to work.

dittle

Where's WM when you need him? :-D Murphy already visited you so if WM would show up with his wrecker it should go like clockwork :twisted: Anyway, glad you didn't get hurt.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with Frodo, get wood cribbing timbers.

Now that my barn has electric and water to it I plan on actually using it work on my equipment. I'm going to run over to Home Depot and have them cut up various size timbers so I will have an assortment on hand.

A guy next door had a car fall on his leg when I was a kid. Not a good thing.

Lonesome I'm just glad you're okay.

sw

tsmall07

Jack stands are perfectly safe if you position them properly.
I always push on the car/truck I'm supporting as hard as I can before I get under it. I've never had one fall when I've done that. Also, you need some more substantial stands. Those cheap stands can buckle.

PS. I want that truck! Why would you part that thing?

Last edited:

Lonesome715

I am going to try and come up with some wood. If I am unable to I will see if I can get some big tired with the rims still on them.

That truck is missing a lot of stuff. Plus, when i pulled the radiator hoses a mixture of oil and collant flowed out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks