• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Progressive Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

djimmy31

Hey Guys,

I might be off base here but I would be careful if you are insuring your deuce using progressive. I called them tonight for a quote on the deuce and got rejected. I started out with the personal side since I already have a policy with them. I told the guy it was a 1970 Jeep m35. He entered some numbers and said no problem 58 buck for 6 months. I then told him the truck weighed 13,000 pounds and that did end the conversation. He checked and said the weight limit for personal insurance was 12,000 pounds. He then transferred me to the commercial side of things. Everything was going great for the first couple of minutes and he comes back this time and says this is a former MV correct. My answer was yes. He answered with we don't insure any MVs. I could have got the insurance on the personal side but I would be screwed in a wreck because I bet somewhere in their fine print it talks about the 12000 pound limit.

I guess I will be trying gulfway or jc taylor.

Just becareful with insurance coverage I would hate to see a SS member get screwed in a wreck.

comanderfritz

i had a temporary with progressive and tried to get it into a permanent. they did but then canceled it and said it would be $1200 a year for renew. i told em to shove it. i went with gulfway

exbrown

I have Travelers Insurance. I called my agent and told him I needed to insure an AM General M35A2. He typed it in and it came right up. No problems.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am getting a quote on the M915 tomorrow but I got a feeling I prob won't like the rate.
Progressive Commercial did my 915 for $160 a month. It took lots of effort by my agent to convince various risk managers to insure the truck. They do not want to insure tactical trucks.

djimmy31

Looks like I got several options to choose from. I called state farm and I am waiting on someone to call me back. I just got to get this lined out before next thursday so I am legal to drive the darn thing.

I was really suprised to get turned down by the commercial side of Progressive. The reason stated was because people with MVs like to modify them outside of their original intention. :roll:

Buckeye2000

Allstate didn't bat an eye, my agent just needed all of the specifics. I don't have the truck yet, but the plan is to put it on the commercial side for farm use.

stumps

Ok, I'm still searching for insurance in Maryland.

Gulfway - $189/year, shows and meets only. Can't haul stuff. Can haul antique tractors,
can tow listed trailer with additional premium.
State Farm - $840/year, full coverage, no restrictions.
State Farm - $189/year historic. Shows and meets only, Can't haul stuff, no towing
Allstate - nothing over 2 axles, nothing over 10,000 empty weight.
Victoria - won't write a policy.
Progressive - won't write a policy.

My local State Farm agent said that it is possible that some other State Farm agents have a special deal with their underwriters that her underwriter isn't giving her. She suggested that I get into contact with the agents writing those deals and find out the details.

So Maryland guys with deuces, will you please tell us about your insurance deals, and who your agents are? ... Particularly State Farm policies.

Thanks!

-Chuck

I have Progressive commercial. Policy was written about 45 days ago. Went through an underwriter at Progressive. My agent is actually a Travelers agent, but can write policies with other companies. $380/yr no limitations. I have no points on my DL and am in GA. Maybe that has something to do with it. I've heard they have different underwriting guidelines in different states and metro areas. I'm never letting mine go either. I will take very good care, especially given all the issues I hear people having. Good luck.

I would add that I've found it really depends on your agent. Some agents just look at it and if it will be hard and you are not a regular customer of theirs, they don't want to mess with it. If one agent tells you something different than you've read on SS, check with another in a different office. Try to find an SS member in your area and go call whichever agent handles their policies. Chances are that agent has figured out what to do with 13,000+ lb vehicles and it will be a breeze for them.

stumps

... Try to find an SS member in your area and go call whichever agent handles their policies. Chances are that agent has figured out what to do with 13,000+ lb vehicles and it will be a breeze for them.
That is what I was hoping this call for MD members might do. I probably should start my own thread and direct it to MD deuce members.

I have a feeling that even though I am in MD farm country, I won't be able to get the good old boy rates you get in Georgia.

-Chuck

Josh

I would add that I've found it really depends on your agent. Some agents just look at it and if it will be hard and you are not a regular customer of theirs, they don't want to mess with it. If one agent tells you something different than you've read on SS, check with another in a different office. Try to find an SS member in your area and go call whichever agent handles their policies. Chances are that agent has figured out what to do with 13,000+ lb vehicles and it will be a breeze for them.

well the agent was all cool, and we took a pictures of it, we even got a picture of it next to a semi truck that was passing by for a size comperison, emailed them off the underwriter they said sure do it this way, boom got my police for 60~/month for 250/500/100k coverage, then a month later i get a letter saying the underwriter has canceled my policy.

nhdiesel

I just signed up with Concord Group (NH company through my local agent). I told her it was a MV, gross weight 18k lbs, no limits to my personal policy. When I told her the weight she put me on hold while she checked with her superiors (told her some companies have problems with heavier vehicles), she came back and said no problem, its all set. $190/yr. for liability added onto our personal vehicle policy.

Jim

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had similar experience. First agent had a hard time figuring out how to insure it with Progressive. Called another agent, no problem. Had it covered with Progressive commercial insurance for about six months. It is very expensive, but I do have a million bucks coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.