• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broke your motor from WMO?

Bacon4x

Just wondering, has anyone actually ruined their deuce motor by burning WMO? Maybe you did not filter it enough and it burned out the pump or what ever other possibly damage? I have read lots of posts of guys using the WMO with no problems and Im not against it or anything, just curious if anyone has broken their motor and can directly like it to the oil? If you have lets hear your story.

Alredneck

Banned
Have over 2500miles that I know of on Apoc running WMO used it other trucks as well but not as much. No problems yet beside hard to start on real cold mornings with 100%. Filtering well is the key.

1stDeuce

I plugged off a set of filters in about 1000 miles, but it happened right after the stock in-tank took a dump and I put on a Carter inline pump... It's weak at best I think. If I still had the stock in-tank, I bet I wouldn't have had to change the filters, as they didn't look bad at all. I try to stay away from 100% because it's a bit think for the pumps, so I cut it some with gas or diesel. (Gas seems to greatly improve cold starting when running WMO)

C

Alredneck

Banned
I switched to a carter universal 12v pump on Apoc when I first got her. Since then it died, and i replaced it with another stock pump from another truck. It burned up in the wiring somewhere, along with some starter wiring. So it sits waiting to be rewired. ( May just instal a different harness since I have a extra ) Carter makes a 24v inline pump also which I thought about going to next. As for the oil being thicker may or may not have had a ill effect on the first 12v pump. In the summer the thickness doesnt seem to matter but in winter time I thin it out for easier starting mainly. Pre filtering is the biggest issue. I want to get a centrifuge and see some on GSA alot but dont know much about them to see if those wile work for this type application.

Strykerboy

the only problems i've had is not cutting it enough with gas or some other kind of highly flameible stuff and haveing water mixed in with it gums every thing up realy bad then you have to start from square one drain everything change fillters and so on and so... but i use WMO for my truck and i drive it every day... = very cost effective as for the pump or I/P i turned up the I/P to handle the crap fuel and add some extra kick in HP but thats about it...

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Some issues with WMO:

(1) Know your source.....100% veggie is good....veggie mixed with possum fat (or other animal fats) can congeal and cause you problems.

(2) Filter, filter, filter.

(3) De-water, de-water, de-water. I set my VWO out in a black plastic drum in the hot sun.....after a few days the water will be at the bottom of the drum. I never pull down to the bottom of the barrel.....the last few inches go into the fire starter drum (and you can set one hot a$$ed fire with veggie). A lot of places toss frozen food into their fryers and that puts a lot of water into veggie oil.

I was mixing fuel today and put 50/50 WVO and diesel into a half gallon fruit jar and shook it up......three hours later it was still mixed up with no sign of separating. That will prob be my summer mix....when it gets cooler I will start putting gasoline back into it.

I have not had any mechanical issues that I can trace back to veggie oil.

Just my 2cents for what it is worth.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want to get a centrifuge and see some on GSA alot but dont know much about them to see if those wile work for this type application.
Are you sure the centrifuges you see on GSA will work? I'm not saying they don't sell ones that will work but the only centrifuges I've seen on GSA were for separating blood.

Alredneck

Banned
Are you sure the centrifuges you see on GSA will work? I'm not saying they don't sell ones that will work but the only centrifuges I've seen on GSA were for separating blood.
Man, thats the thing I dont know much about centrifuges to know which ones are able to be used. You are right about the ones on GSA mostly for medical stuff. I havent bid on one cause I dont want to waste the money on something that wont work for this type application

Rene M

Man, thats the thing I dont know much about centrifuges to know which ones are able to be used. You are right about the ones on GSA mostly for medical stuff. I havent bid on one cause I dont want to waste the money on something that wont work for this type application
Just a fyi..
Most all Mack Trucks come with a centrifuge for the engine oil. These can be had cheep and most chop shops when the trucks are broken up for salvage.

Varyag

What do you guys use to filter the oil? Is there a screen or anything of that nature? I just got access to 800g of WMO and want to be able to use it fairly easily.

Billy Bobbed

Some issues with WMO:

(1) Know your source.....100% veggie is good....veggie mixed with possum fat (or other animal fats) can congeal and cause you problems.

(2) Filter, filter, filter.

(3) De-water, de-water, de-water. I set my VWO out in a black plastic drum in the hot sun.....after a few days the water will be at the bottom of the drum. I never pull down to the bottom of the barrel.....the last few inches go into the fire starter drum (and you can set one hot a$$ed fire with veggie). A lot of places toss frozen food into their fryers and that puts a lot of water into veggie oil.

I was mixing fuel today and put 50/50 WVO and diesel into a half gallon fruit jar and shook it up......three hours later it was still mixed up with no sign of separating. That will prob be my summer mix....when it gets cooler I will start putting gasoline back into it.

I have not had any mechanical issues that I can trace back to veggie oil.

Just my 2cents for what it is worth.
possum fat

panshark

I've been checking out the EPA requirements for WMO, it seems that the regs want you to have an EPA ID# to transport more than 55 gallons of used motor oil at a time. Additionally, EPA regs on used oil cease to apply when mixed with diesel to be used in the handler's personal vehicles. Farmers who generate less than 25 gallons of oil a month are exempt, as well as "do it yourselfers" (those who come into possession of approximately 800g of oil):)

The EPA rules on WMO are: 40 CFR part 279

The rules seem pretty straight-forward, common sense type of stuff. No specific rules for no-no ratio's on mixing motor oil and diesel.

Anybody know how easy it is to apply for EPA identification number? I'm going to look into it!

thordehr

Seems yall are talking about waste vegetable oil and used motor oil interchangeably? It looks like wether you're using veggie or motor oil, you should or can mix with either diesel or gasoline to thin it out? What about running pure gasoline or does that burn too hot? Still new to the whole multifuel idea. I was also told that it can be registered as a gas engine to avoid the coming diesel craziness in California?
:lost:

thordehr

Ooook, just found table 1-13 showing:

PRIMARY:
All the different grades of Diesel (Not that there's that wide a choice)

ALTERNATE I FUEL:
Turbine fuel (Guess any will do and if it runs rough, add 10-30% Diesel)?

Avgas 80/87 as well as autogas 89 octane and lower. (Guess octane lower than that is equivalent to an unacceptably low cetane for a diesel hence the flamethrower show?)

Distillate fuel (What exactly is this? Never heard of it before?)

ALTERNATE II FUEL:

Other grades of diesel and some of the high octane aviation (100/130) and auto gas (Above 90 or 86)

EMERGENCY FUEL:

Burner fuel (With the warning of clogged fuel filters and injectors. Add diesel as required to smooth engine performance.)

Now.... Tell me more about using:

Waste Veggie Oil?

Used Motor Oil?

Used Automatic Transmission Fluid?

What else is out there being used successfully?

Thanks to everyone here how has already helped out and has offered help with my first purchase!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks