• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broke your motor from WMO?

panshark

I imagine the long-term problem with running alternate fuels would be comparable to installing an after-market chip on a diesel pickup? may void the warranty, shorten the duty cycle of the engine and drivetrain somewhat, but the long-term costs would be negligible compared to having a truck that will do what you want (run like a raped ape, or run for nearly free after paying road taxes on fuels consumed on-road). We've had an umpire count on the component costs, and no one here claims to have killed a multi-fuel on alternate fuels. For statistical purposes, has anyone here destroyed a chipped diesel engine?

cvh20

I'm with MikeW, mine doesn't smoke much more than with straight diesel. I am running about 80% WMO, run through three filters in series and two water seperators.

Incredilion

My rigs all run well on it, and have for years. Centrifuged & sit for a while, no water, plenty of ectra power, and I use the extra exhaust (when it happens) for cars w/ peace signs on them, if ya know what I mean....:wink:

oddshot

... shorten the duty cycle of the engine and drivetrain somewhat...
There may be concerns of road taxes, emissions, or warranty (in the case of motors having a single rail electronic injection system) but I can see no reason why burning properly filtered and properly thinned WMO would harm ANYTHING in diesel engines.

The BTU content of WMO is higher than diesel.

The auto ignition point is higher.

Properly filtered, WMO has as much lubricity as Diesel AND it produces less wear scar then diesel.
[FONT=&quot]
Even Cat says its OK ... within certain guidelines. Download at: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://www.gregorypoole.com/products/electricpowergenerator/Documents/LEBW4976-00%20Diesel%20Fuels%20and%20Diesel%20Fuel%20Systems.pdf[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
In 1997 Dodge put the 12 valve engine in for the first part of the model year. And then in the last half or so of the year they put in the 24 valve engine. I wish I had kept my 12 valve truck as the 4 units I have had since then are not as good on mileage as the 12 valve one was.

camp9

I've heard that from others that now have the 24v. I bought it at a auction 7 years ago, and at the time guys were telling me I should of held out for a 24v. Now from what I understand it was probably the best motor of the 5.9's. The body of this truck is falling apart, lost 5th gear once and welded the gear in place not to happen again, rebuilt the front end twice now, but the motor is great. WMO, WMO/WVO blend, it all runs in it. I have a extra tank and heat the oil though after a lot of filtering. Only thing I don't have a handle on is mixing gas with it for the winter. I've run E85 at 5%, and regular no lead at a little over 5%. I"m glad to hear guys on here are running it in the 250 cummins, a 5ton is probably my next purchase.

Last edited:

deathrowdave

I have been running used (non PCB) trans- former oil for years . No problems ,a little hard to start when cold but runs great. The oil I have been using is vey light (thin) does look as if it burns a bit hotter than Diesel . All the paint left town on the stack !!! :driver:

dmetalmiki

filter 2 the max

I run used aqtf... DEFINATELY has more power..mpg and CLEANS the whole system while using it.. I use bag filters down to 1(one) micron which is 70% better than the orriginal filters. I have lately cut it whith contam petrol/deisel mix..GOOD performance. (oh..and as an aside EVERTHING runs on it just fine)..so..rather than damage.. the mix I use enhances, Protects, and fortifies the systems it is in use with.. (= bag filters and Centrifuge...iether..same result..GOOD)

oddshot

After installing the electric fans, changing all the filters and doing a little work with my fuel blending process ... Henry has finally broken the 10 MPG barrier! Also holding speeds to about 51 MPH seemed to help a lot.

I am now getting a solid 10.4 MPG on Waste Oil over a 100 mile round trip cycle of a mix of roads ... from up here in the hills, down the interstate and through the city traffic in Marietta.

I still have a bit of work to do ... I'm building a set for free-wheeling front hubs, I want to make a cover for the radiator to bring up the engine temp a little, and I think there is still a little more BTU's to be found in the WMO by tweaking the blend a bit.

I need to install an ETG ... I think that will be a very useful and helpful tool.

I'm beginning to think that ol' Henry just might touch 12 miles per gallon.

mikes47jeep

Sorry, no.

Distillate fuel is short for Petroleum Distillate fuel. It is just heavy fuel oil, such as would be used in a boiler, or furnace. It is also used in locomotives, and some stationary engines.

-Chuck
i know its an old comment but sill I am going to throw in my half penny

sorry wrong again the heavy fuel oil you think of is "bunker oil" almost like asphalt, (the oil not the pavement) that was used in ships and locomotives and boilers

Distillate is that in between fuel that you used to be able to get that wasn’t quite gasoline, and not quite kerosene, actually the closest thing to distillate is something like Coleman fuel, or charcoal lighter fluid, or Zippo lighter fluid

It was available for farm tractors and back then was much cheaper than gasoline kerosene or diesel

Mike

JOEDEUCE

@ Magnetic, sorry i dont have pics handy , but if you hop on ebay and look up polyester filter bags you will see what they look like, there are a couple types of material in which they make they make the bags out of, polyester is what you want. the bags vary in size , all depends on what you want. i run a 10, 5, 1, and .5 micron bag using just good ole gravity, its slow but i dont care, i have all the time in the world to let er drain. the .5 micron might be a lil excessive, ive seen some guys stop at 5 micron , some filter down to 1 micron, so i figure filtering down to a half micron was even better, it just takes a lil longer. check out ebay, puch in "10 micron filter bags " (or whatever micron you are looking for) for example and all sorts will pop up

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Your talking about SO many issues that don't really make much sense. The big one is, one is made to run fuels other than diesel. I don't see how heating the fuel before before runnin it in the engine would do anything, unless your heating it to remove water, which would be done before it goes into your fuel tank.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks